Extend range of P2 radio

Reaction score
Good day,

I saw radio transmitter mod for the Vision 2 but is there a mod we can do on Radio transmitter of Phantom 2 ?

My goal is to get more range. I flew 4 km (Gps mod) one way and came back. In ATTI mod I fly faster so I could probably make 6 km. I may buy a new battery for Phantom 2 (6000mw) to get further. Can we change the antenna for beytet signal ?

There had been people using wifi boosters to increase output to 2w, in theory can give it about 3x range. Stock range is about 2.5km for me so with that you can probably get about 5-6km assuming you have nothing in the way. You'll need a good vrx and a directional antenna to match if you want to go that far. The biggest issue would be battery life as most will find 3-3.5km the max they can go and come back safely. The p2 is very heavy as is and you will not be able to get much more flight time out of using a bigger and heavier battery. If you want more endurance, try to keep weight down, maybe hard mount a möbius actin cam without a gimbal and use that 200g savings to get another 2-3 min of flight time.

Kelso has a point it's not that hard to just upgrade the RC to aftermarket.

On the other hand, it is possible to mod the antenna on the stock DJ6 RC for more range, I just got done doing that a few weeks ago. There is a video here you can watch which shows someone performing the mod... he takes like 30 minutes but I only took about 10.
basically the connector on the RC board is covered in sealant gunk and you have to be VERY VERY careful when removing it or else you can damage the connector... I also did this my first attempt and ruined the RC but a replacement is only $25. I had it on-hand so I just swapped right to the new one.

anyway once you've gotten the gunk off the connector, just install this cable and I used this half-sphere from FPVLR

now I have much better range. I haven't been going for distance rather my goal was cutting through urban interference and the new antenna has been great

I want to stay with stock radio transmitter. So nobody ever modified the original transmitter for Phantom 2 only for Phantom 2 vision a d vision +. I flew 6 km one way this morning.

4km is crazy far! Gotta give DJI kudos for making the stock system as good as it is. You'll need to go with high gain / amplified antennas to get further.

If I change the Home return for landing and low battery home return for landing, I could probably fly 7,8 or 9km. But I'd need a clear land to fly without any obstacle at all.

the stock tx is just as good as any one out there. it uses same as futaba. i have been out past 4 miles and made it back on stock tx but with a simple windsurfer mod. takes about 10 minutes to do and works great. i was using 1.3vtx though you won't get that far on 5.8. uhf will work but the naza in the p2 won't do ppm. also i flew in manual mode with saves same battery.

All stock gear. Zenmuse H3-3D, Mini OSD, Gopro Hero 3+ Black. Tx Immersion 600mw, Boscam Diversity monitor with integrated receptor. Blue beam ultra antenna & 5 turn Helical antenna.

Re: Vs: Extend range of P2 radio

Malartic2014 said:
All stock gear. Zenmuse H3-3D, Mini OSD, Gopro Hero 3+ Black. Tx Immersion 600mw, Boscam Diversity monitor with integrated receptor. Blue beam ultra antenna & 5 turn Helical antenna.
Ok. Allmost same stuff that i have, the helical is the difference, i have patch and cloverleafs.
Glad that you got quad back on one piece :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan