extend antenna phantom transmitter and fatshark receiver

Reaction score
Is it possible to extend the antenna cable of the phantom transmitter?
I want my antenna on the roof of my house.

Same for the fatshark receiver.
Can I just put a cable between my goggles and spironet antenna?

Do I lose signal?

" " "" " "
\\ " " " " " " " "
|| " " "" " "
||
||
||
||
||
:geek:

You could extend the cable but it would be very expensive and that makes it impractical.

Assuming you are talking about something like a 50' run of cable that might cost about $1/foot. Times microwave makes a popular cable series called LMR-xxx. LMR-400 which is about a 1/2 inch in diameter is about $1/ft . Problem is 50' of LMR-400 at 2.4 GHz would reduce the received signal by a factor of about 10. Thats too much. There are cables with much less loss but this waveguide type cable is 20-30 $ per foot

You could get it all back by using a high gain omni antenna like this one. http://www.tessco.com/products/displayP ... ventPage=6.

But the problem here would be the antenna gets it gain by compressing the vertical radiation pattern down to a very narrow sliver (+/- 3.5 degrees from the horizon). This means that directly above or even at some short distance high up from the antenna there is much loss and teh signal strength will fall off quickly. I would be afraid of all the "Shadow" areas that exist.

To avoid these excessive losses in the communications world we usually use an ODU or outdoor unit. The ODU incorporates the antenna and the transmitter. We connect the indoor unit to the ODU by eithernet. So we get the advantage of height (which can make all the difference) without the loss and expense of the feeedline.

The losses are at least twice at 5.8 GHz so its much worse and I don't know of many omni antenna options. You would need to use a panel antenna and that means 180 degrees of coverage.

The guy that did this video (My favorite of all time) is using panel antennas for both 2.4 and 5.8 I think. you can see them at the very end for a brief time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8bOJDLnBjU

Best to go stand in a high clear spot, or get a bucket truck. :roll:

Hope this helps

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattnn