Expert Drone Flyer!

Hmm.. I totally knew it wasn't a Phantom. :lol:

I don't think he was flying that far to lose signal. I've witnessed other people with simple FPV rigs going just a far with no loss.

Turns out it might be a custom rig. If you look at the shadow closely at 00:40 under the bridge top left on the brown dirt, the shadow looks familiar to this below (taken from this post).

ContentImage-1990-19663-heli.jpg

Looks like he's the one who filmed the clip from Santa Monica that I saw a few weeks ago.

Impressive videos nonetheless.I tip my hat for this guy! ;)

Lithium12.6 said:
My guess he was simply following the Phantom than speeded up the video except over the water.
Over the water seems like different. Like the video otherwise.

Nope, he isn't following the quadcopter (it's not a Phantom). If you look at the 9 second mark on this video, that's him on the bridge. It is possible he sped up the video though.

I'm pretty sure he was NOT line of site that whole time which makes me wonder why he never lost signal.

He was probably using goggles and sending video over 1.3GHz. I left the Phantom world a few months ago to pursue building a kit. I ended up settling on a Cinetank kit. Using 1.3GHz for video tx punches through everything on the ground. I can go out 1km away and fly 20 feet off the ground, with lots of houses and trees between my rx and tx and I get a crystal clear view.
I guess it depends on the person, but once I started getting into real gear, my Phantom 2 seems a little ridiculous now, maybe because the Phantom 2 is a very limited platform. You can't just load it up with all kinds of cool gear. My Cinetank is a quadcopter that weighs about 8 pounds. It carries a GoPro on a gimbal and an high quality FPV flight cam on a servo tilt. I get between 25-28 minutes of flight on a single charge and routinely do 8km flights.
If you're into challenges and want to take it to the next step, then get comfortable with the Phantom and then move on to better stuff. If you're a hobby photographer and just want a platform to assist in picture taking, then the Phantom is probably good enough.

golgotha said:
He was probably using goggles and sending video over 1.3GHz. I left the Phantom world a few months ago to pursue building a kit. I ended up settling on a Cinetank kit. Using 1.3GHz for video tx punches through everything on the ground. I can go out 1km away and fly 20 feet off the ground, with lots of houses and trees between my rx and tx and I get a crystal clear view.
I guess it depends on the person, but once I started getting into real gear, my Phantom 2 seems a little ridiculous now, maybe because the Phantom 2 is a very limited platform. You can't just load it up with all kinds of cool gear. My Cinetank is a quadcopter that weighs about 8 pounds. It carries a GoPro on a gimbal and an high quality FPV flight cam on a servo tilt. I get between 25-28 minutes of flight on a single charge and routinely do 8km flights.
If you're into challenges and want to take it to the next step, then get comfortable with the Phantom and then move on to better stuff. If you're a hobby photographer and just want a platform to assist in picture taking, then the Phantom is probably good enough.

Good info. Thanks! My wallet tells me I'm pretty much stuck with the P2 platform for now. Some of us have to eat you know! LOL

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr