Experience with H3-3D

Yep. Don't forget I'm testing this out completely stock with no mods or tinkering with settings and shooting at 1080p/24. I'm sort of deliberately pushing its limits with just the out-of-box setup to see how it handles it. I'm sure things like ND filter and change in frame rate would have taken the jello out of those upwind tracks - I was just impressed that I got so much footage that was absolutely clean given that winds aloft would have been about 30% stronger than ground level (so probably about 19/20mph steady and gusts pushing 30mph) - the artificial horizon on the iOSD display was at quite a jaunty angle for almost the whole time!

How tightly is the H3-3D balanced to the naked GoPro - will adding an ND filter cause issues? If not, any recommendations as to what to fit?

My first flight was in very strong winds too. Gusting 25mph constant 18-20mph. The wind noise is very audible over the motor noise. The video was impressively stable. No obvious Jello at all.

still remarkably impressed with this.

Bmews

Pull_Up said:
How tightly is the H3-3D balanced to the naked GoPro - will adding an ND filter cause issues? If not, any recommendations as to what to fit?

That's the thing that's puzzling me, Simon. The first page of the H3-3D manual says, "H3-3D gimbal is finely calibrated according to the specified camera model and lens before the delivery....... Do not attempt to modify the gimbal or mount extra component/device (such as filter, lens hood, etc.) and I guess that they haven't stuck that there for no reason.

folks have and obviously compensated for the weight using quarters etc. Personally, I think they've balanced it for the naked weight only. As much as putting an ND filter would help maybe changing the gains on the motors would offset the change. Personally, it's not broken so i'm not going to fix it :)

bmews

Yes, it's not the balance so much; as you say, that can be compensated for.

What bothers me is the added strain on the motors because, whatever you put on the front, you're doubling up on the overall weight when you add something to the back to counterbalance it.

Good info, thanks. I'm not sure I want to start messing about with counter-balancing bearing in mind the conditions the other day were close to my personal flight limits anyway... It was only in upwind moving shots the slight jello appears. Downwind or hovering it was lovely - I'm guessing the strong wind blowing through the rotor discs when travelling against the wind was setting up oscillations that transferred down. Next time I get a sunny day and windy conditions I'll try again and see what's what.

First bit of tinkering away from stock I'm going to do is cut the sensitivity of the tilt as per your numbers posted before Peter - it was very difficult to get a smooth tilt when I was trying to follow the train, I need to dumb it down a bit.

Oh and I forgot to highlight that I changed the GoPro to medium FOV from wide as per a previous suggestion and there was much less leg and prop action going on. What was there was always going to be given the effort the aircraft was having to put in to stay in one place.

BMEWS said:
folks have and obviously compensated for the weight using quarters etc. Personally, I think they've balanced it for the naked weight only.

Some folks with heavier ND filters have had to use counterweights.

I am not using any counterweights with stock gains. No additional
noise or indications of strain from any of the motors.

panhygrous pantler said:
BMEWS said:
folks have and obviously compensated for the weight using quarters etc. Personally, I think they've balanced it for the naked weight only.

Some folks with heavier ND filters have had to use counterweights.

I am not using any counterweights with stock gains. No additional
noise or indications of strain from any of the motors.

I'm missing something, where can you change the gains for a H3-3D gimbal?

Peter Evans said:
markab said:
I'm missing something, where can you change the gains for a H3-3D gimbal?

In Phantom Assistant 3.0 > Advanced > Gimbal

Ok I see you mean tilt gain control rather than actual gimbal stab gains.

Well I think I have worked out the issue I was having with the H3-3D vibrating and making a buzzing noise. Before I sent it back I thought I would give it another try. This time I hooked it up with my H3 instead of the H3+ I had been using. Sure enough no buzzing or vibration anymore. Switched back to the H3+ and got the vibration and noise again.

I know that the H3+ is slightly lighter and has a different weight distribution so I guess the H3-3D is just not tuned for the H3+

I think what DJI need to do is have a H3 and H3+ toggle in the assistant with pre set stabilisation gains for each but I guess the problem is that the zenmuse motors are so small they may not be able to tune it to anything else if there is not enough holding power.

So now my F550 is now the proud owner of a H3+ which seems to work without issue on the H3-2D gimbal.

Now just to wait for the wind to blow out so I can test if the removal of the vibration fixes the Jello I was getting.

markab said:
Well I think I have worked out the issue I was having with the H3-3D vibrating and making a buzzing noise. Before I sent it back I thought I would give it another try. This time I hooked it up with my H3 instead of the H3+ I had been using. Sure enough no buzzing or vibration anymore. Switched back to the H3+ and got the vibration and noise again.

I know that the H3+ is slightly lighter and has a different weight distribution so I guess the H3-3D is just not tuned for the H3+

I think what DJI need to do is have a H3 and H3+ toggle in the assistant with pre set stabilisation gains for each but I guess the problem is that the zenmuse motors are so small they may not be able to tune it to anything else if there is not enough holding power.

So now my F550 is now the proud owner of a H3+ which seems to work without issue on the H3-2D gimbal.

Now just to wait for the wind to blow out so I can test if the removal of the vibration fixes the Jello I was getting.

That's really odd. The 3 and 3+ are the same weight- the 3+ waterproof case is what is lighter.

panhygrous pantler said:
That's really odd. The 3 and 3+ are the same weight- the 3+ waterproof case is what is lighter.

Yes but the weight distribution within the camera is different, it has a different COG I guess.

markab said:
panhygrous pantler said:

Yes but the weight distribution within the camera is different, it has a different COG I guess.

It would be really odd if that minute difference is the culprit. I've run the range from bare (no battery cover or USB cover) to covered and a filter without any buzzing or vibration.

Maybe it's an electrical issue. Definitely a weird one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31