Expanding foam and cardboard P3 inserts.

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a stock pelicase and experimenting with expanding foam and the cardboard inserts that come in the P3 packaging to make a decent mould the P3 can fit into. Has anyone any experience? I'm thinking of coating the underside cardboard moulded packaging the phantom came with in vasaline so I can pull it away from the foam when set. Thoughts welcome. I might trial the process in some other type of packaging first. I have a Hubsan x4 box and packaging that I might offer as a guinne pig!

Thoughts welcome

I don't see how you could make this work, but I wish you the best.

Tip, don't use Great Stuff (the foam in a can from Home Depot and such) without some sort of barrier as it will stick like crazy to any surface it touches.

I don't see how you could make this work, but I wish you the best.

Tip, don't use Great Stuff (the foam in a can from Home Depot and such) without some sort of barrier as it will stick like crazy to any surface it touches.
Lol, I don't see how it might work either .... but having a mould is half the battle (the cardboard insert). Thanks for the tip re great stuff. I suspect living in the UK I'll have different brand names to contend with.

You might want to try using cling film on the cardboard to stop it sticking. If it works I might try it so please keep us posted.

+1 on film instead of vaseline or other release chemicals cause it will ruin the cardboard. If the first idea doesn't work you'll have no 'mold' left to try again with.

Also be mindful of the strenght of the expansion. Leave room for excess to escape in an area not critical so it can be trimmed away.

I've been doing some googling. Rather than foam in a can it seems you can buy a 2 part mix. You can specify what density you want the end product to be from pick and pluck style density to an almost rubberised density.

I don't quite know how I'm going to be able to save the cardboard box insert. If I use the foam directly I'll have to cut vents in so air can escape, not so sure how I'll use cling film so it will get into every corner. Maybe I'll have to use cling film and pour in plaster of Paris to make a more robust mold.

I'll do some thinking and youtubing.

+1 on film instead of vaseline or other release chemicals cause it will ruin the cardboard. If the first idea doesn't work you'll have no 'mold' left to try again with.

Also be mindful of the strenght of the expansion. Leave room for excess to escape in an area not critical so it can be trimmed away.
Thanks for the tips. I hadnt factored in that this stuff has a life of its own.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.