Exp, Gain and Gimbal settings for smooth video

You can find some tips here.

As per subject.
Can someone please share best settings for smooth video ?

Thanks

I found this information a while back from a member on a forum and copied and pasted it into a text file for future reference for myself. I cant take credit for any of the info below but I have adjusted my P4P+ in line with some of the adjustments that has smoothed out my video.

Okay, so I've had a few well-documented issues with the Phantom 4, but by-and-large, I love this thing. So, I thought I'd share my favorite smooth-pan settings to offset some of my grumblings...

Some of this will be redundant to other videos and "how to" for smooth camera movements with a DJI Phantom, but some of it is info I had to test for myself as I couldn't find good descriptions or tests (Yaw Endpoint, for instance), so here are the settings I've found that give me the smoothest panning/yaw/rudder of the P4 aircraft and most controlable tilting of the camera, making steady cinematic shots much more attainable and controllable:

On the RC:
• - Lengthen the sticks. This allows finer resolution of physical stick input.
• - PRACTICE and go easy on the sticks/wheels. No matter the app settings, if you're heavy-handed on the RC, it will show in the shot.

In the DJI GO app:

MC Tab (in "Advanced"):
• - EXP: Normal: Throttle .4, Rudder .25, F/R .4 (this rudder EXP setting REALLY chills out the pans near center stick)
• - EXP: Sport: Throttle .4, Rudder .35, F/R .4 (do whatever you want with Sport settings, personally I don't use this mode for "smooth" shots, more for fast high-energy shots)
• - Sensitivity: Yaw Endpoint - 110 (this is a big one nobody talks about. It limits the "throw" of your pan/yaw/rudder moves, decreasing overall pan speed and essentially increasing the resolution of your pan movements. I have found that no matter how low I go on the rudder EXP setting, the Yaw Endpoint setting is the real key to chilling out the panning on the P4)

RC Tab:
• - Gimbal Speed - 60 (personal taste, but I've found this setting to work well with the rest of the gimbal settings below)

Gimbal Tab:
• - Gimbal Tilt EXP - 20 (allows finer resolution around the center detent of the gimbal wheel)
• - Gimbal Tilt SmoothTrack - 22 (this is MAGIC and nobody talks about it, kinda like the Yaw Endpoint. SmoothTrack automatically smooths out the start and end of your gimbal wheel input. It can seem really spongy at first, but once you start getting used to it, doing nice long sweeping tracking shots or horizon reveals, you'll never turn it off)
• - Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow - OFF (this keeps the gimbal centered and lets the P4 aircraft do all the smooth panning work, that way you don't get the sudden camera jerk to the side when trying to do a smooth pan)

There you have it, hopefully this was helpful. I'm sure I'll continue to refine these settings, but I've settled on these numbers after a bunch of flights. Just keep flying and keep testing...and don't forget that you can test a lot of these settings (especially the yaw settings) in the flight simulator. The Yaw Endpoint is especially obvious in the simulator...just bring the simulated P4 close to you, hover, and try timing a 360º rotation with various Yaw Endpoint settings.

Below from a different forum member.........

Camera Icon > Advance Setting > Gimbal Tilt 46, Gimbal Tilt Smoothtrack 23, Enabled Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow
RC Icon > Gimbal Wheel Speed 30
Drone Icon > EXP All three set to 20
Drone Icon > Sensitivity Attitude 57 Brake 70 Yaw End Point 78
Drone Icon > Pitch 100 Roll 100, Yaw 80 Vertical 120

I found this information a while back from a member on a forum and copied and pasted it into a text file for future reference for myself. I cant take credit for any of the info below but I have adjusted my P4P+ in line with some of the adjustments that has smoothed out my video.

Okay, so I've had a few well-documented issues with the Phantom 4, but by-and-large, I love this thing. So, I thought I'd share my favorite smooth-pan settings to offset some of my grumblings...

Some of this will be redundant to other videos and "how to" for smooth camera movements with a DJI Phantom, but some of it is info I had to test for myself as I couldn't find good descriptions or tests (Yaw Endpoint, for instance), so here are the settings I've found that give me the smoothest panning/yaw/rudder of the P4 aircraft and most controlable tilting of the camera, making steady cinematic shots much more attainable and controllable:

On the RC:
• - Lengthen the sticks. This allows finer resolution of physical stick input.
• - PRACTICE and go easy on the sticks/wheels. No matter the app settings, if you're heavy-handed on the RC, it will show in the shot.

In the DJI GO app:

MC Tab (in "Advanced"):
• - EXP: Normal: Throttle .4, Rudder .25, F/R .4 (this rudder EXP setting REALLY chills out the pans near center stick)
• - EXP: Sport: Throttle .4, Rudder .35, F/R .4 (do whatever you want with Sport settings, personally I don't use this mode for "smooth" shots, more for fast high-energy shots)
• - Sensitivity: Yaw Endpoint - 110 (this is a big one nobody talks about. It limits the "throw" of your pan/yaw/rudder moves, decreasing overall pan speed and essentially increasing the resolution of your pan movements. I have found that no matter how low I go on the rudder EXP setting, the Yaw Endpoint setting is the real key to chilling out the panning on the P4)

RC Tab:
• - Gimbal Speed - 60 (personal taste, but I've found this setting to work well with the rest of the gimbal settings below)

Gimbal Tab:
• - Gimbal Tilt EXP - 20 (allows finer resolution around the center detent of the gimbal wheel)
• - Gimbal Tilt SmoothTrack - 22 (this is MAGIC and nobody talks about it, kinda like the Yaw Endpoint. SmoothTrack automatically smooths out the start and end of your gimbal wheel input. It can seem really spongy at first, but once you start getting used to it, doing nice long sweeping tracking shots or horizon reveals, you'll never turn it off)
• - Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow - OFF (this keeps the gimbal centered and lets the P4 aircraft do all the smooth panning work, that way you don't get the sudden camera jerk to the side when trying to do a smooth pan)

There you have it, hopefully this was helpful. I'm sure I'll continue to refine these settings, but I've settled on these numbers after a bunch of flights. Just keep flying and keep testing...and don't forget that you can test a lot of these settings (especially the yaw settings) in the flight simulator. The Yaw Endpoint is especially obvious in the simulator...just bring the simulated P4 close to you, hover, and try timing a 360º rotation with various Yaw Endpoint settings.

Below from a different forum member.........

Camera Icon > Advance Setting > Gimbal Tilt 46, Gimbal Tilt Smoothtrack 23, Enabled Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow
RC Icon > Gimbal Wheel Speed 30
Drone Icon > EXP All three set to 20
Drone Icon > Sensitivity Attitude 57 Brake 70 Yaw End Point 78
Drone Icon > Pitch 100 Roll 100, Yaw 80 Vertical 120

Great, thanks a lot for that.
Will test it soon and let you know.

These suggestions are all for old versions of FW. Does anyone have any gimbal settings relevant to the current FW? Thanks.

These suggestions are all for old versions of FW. Does anyone have any gimbal settings relevant to the current FW? Thanks.
But, how confident are you that these numbers are outdated now? Just venturing to guess, simply because it's new FW? Or did the actual numerical ranges shift significantly? Otherwise, your question doesn't help (or isn't relevant).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan