Existing Antenna Holes - No Drilling

I believe I saw a solution from Dynamic3dSolutions made for this implementation. I wish I had seen this option before drilling holes in my controller.
malwair,

it sounds like you have the dbs mod. i do as well, but what are your thoughts on the fdr mod? i really like the solution if it works as advertised(omni-directional).

sacooke,

if you get that rp-sma plug set for the dbs mod do you think you will need a long shank sma connector cable for it too work?

I dont see why. The issue as I see it would just be to tighten it properly at the back. I will know for sure when I have all the bits together.

malwair,

it sounds like you have the dbs mod. i do as well, but what are your thoughts on the fdr mod? i really like the solution if it works as advertised(omni-directional).

I just recently had the ITELITE mod installed but have not been able to fully test it. I would imagine the need for omni-directional would be affected by location. I often fly at the beach and over the ocean and do not believe I would benefit from omni-directional. However, it would be nice to have the ability to swap between the options depending on the needs of the location.

Also did you look at this guy's website. He is doing this type of install for $250 but he doesn't give any detail as to how he does it. There are some good pictures to look at though.
He also says the internal sma pigtails he uses are of much higher quality (quad shield and are made of copper and silver). I'm wondering if he is using these extended shank sma cables that we're after? I emailed him about purchasing a set of sma pigtails that he uses for a DIY install but no response yet.

Radio Antenna Modification For Phantom 3 Radio (4+ Miles with No Boosters)
I asked the same question months ago and also didn't get a response. I ordered the RP-SMA plugs and antennas from Shaluoman. Then ordered the 14in from FDRdronemods. More than two weeks ago and still no email saying they shipped. So far FDRdronemods are some slackers. About to cancel the order.

I asked the same question months ago and also didn't get a response. I ordered the RP-SMA plugs and antennas from Shaluoman. Then ordered the 14in from FDRdronemods. More than two weeks ago and still no email saying they shipped. So far FDRdronemods are some slackers. About to cancel the order.

That's a pity as the FDRdronemods solution seems the best for portability.

I missed the email from FDRdronemods. It shipped 2 days ago. So I messed up on yesterday's post. Still took a long time, but they are taking orders, was starting to think maybe the company closed. Anyway it might take two weeks for a order to ship. I'll let ya know how these antennas work out.

Hey guys, I just finished up a plug design that eliminates the need to drill holes. Check it out at: Maxx UAV

Attachments

• 2-29-16-1.jpg
    2-29-16-1.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 343
  • 2-29-16-2.jpg
    2-29-16-2.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 325
  • 2-29-16-3.jpg
    2-29-16-3.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 361
  • 2-29-16-4.jpg
    2-29-16-4.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 358
  • 2-29-16-5.jpg
    2-29-16-5.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 383
Reactions: emoney609
Hey guys, I just finished up a plug design that eliminates the need to drill holes. Check it out at: Maxx UAV

Jake,

I haven't the need for this just yet. I've been eagerly following this thread and because of this obstacle have not moved on doing this mod. I may change my mind based on your new product. I really just jumped in here to applaud you for seeing an opportunity and taking advantage of it! Way to go! I may move forward with this because of your entrepreneurial spirit!

Jerry

Jake,

I haven't the need for this just yet. I've been eagerly following this thread and because of this obstacle have not moved on doing this mod. I may change my mind based on your new product. I really just jumped in here to applaud you for seeing an opportunity and taking advantage of it! Way to go! I may move forward with this because of your entrepreneurial spirit!

Jerry
Thanks Jtrjr! It may not seem like it, but this little booger took some time to design! I know I for sure printed over 25 prototypes before finally getting it as close to perfect it can get. Printing small parts like this really pushes 3D printers to their limits. Anyways, I'm looking into getting some custom cables as well that have the shorter SMA connector so they don't stuck out so much.

Thanks Jtrjr! It may not seem like it, but this little booger took some time to design! I know I for sure printed over 25 prototypes before finally getting it as close to perfect it can get. Printing small parts like this really pushes 3D printers to their limits. Anyways, I'm looking into getting some custom cables as well that have the shorter SMA connector so they don't stuck out so much.

Jake,

So they come with the cables?

Jerry

I dont see why. The issue as I see it would just be to tighten it properly at the back. I will know for sure when I have all the bits together.

Any updates on weather you were able to get the cables to mount inside the plugs??

To answer you question, no it will not fit without further modification which I was unwilling to do. I have both the DBS and FPVLR and opted to go with the holes on top and take out the factory antenna.
IMG_20160316_232627.jpg
IMG_20160317_084043.jpg
IMG_20160316_193318.jpg

I missed the email from FDRdronemods. It shipped 2 days ago. So I messed up on yesterday's post. Still took a long time, but they are taking orders, was starting to think maybe the company closed. Anyway it might take two weeks for a order to ship. I'll let ya know how these antennas work out.
Those antennas didn't improve my range, I will sell them for $10+ shipping. Only used once.

I can't wait to try mine out. Looking forward to the "Clean Cut Look" for sure.

Samk thank you for that clarification. Definitely with you and 2 and 3 but I still think you can spare the controller casing by drilling through the dbs mod plug after removing the original antenna
Here's what I did in sparing the controller in drilling holes. I used the internal cable that came with the DBS panel antenna as you can see in the picture and I put a 5 minutes epoxy then install the washer and nut after epoxy cured. I've used the DBS unboosted until I decided to boost it just recently. I bought the booster kit from Jake of MaxxUAV and here's the finished setup when I'm done with it.

Attachments

• 9-25-15 b.jpg
    9-25-15 b.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 383
  • 20151012_200520.jpg
    20151012_200520.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 416
  • 20160419_181147.jpg
    20160419_181147.jpg
    592.9 KB · Views: 310
  • 20160420_202715.jpg
    20160420_202715.jpg