Existing Antenna Holes - No Drilling

sacooke,

in actuality its not just about the drilled holes. i have the dbs mod with the drilled holes on my remote, but the dbs mod is essentially a directional antenna only. however, the fdr mod gives you the benefit of:
  1. no drilled holes;
  2. omni-directional signal;
  3. and the fdr mod can be carried in any case b/c its not as bulky.

This thread has me VERY curious. I would love to get a bit more "range" without getting in overboard beyond my skill set.

I'd love to get 3-4 mile range while still having something "resembling" factory antennae along with the ability to connect to a roof mounted system for warm/cool weather operations. Is that too much to ask?

This thread has me VERY curious. I would love to get a bit more "range" without getting in overboard beyond my skill set.

I'd love to get 3-4 mile range while still having something "resembling" factory antennae along with the ability to connect to a roof mounted system for warm/cool weather operations. Is that too much to ask?
  1. fdr mods- super easy and i know nothing about opening up a remote controller. i mean truly nothing. its my first drone.
  2. you can get the 3-4 mile range with the dbs mod for sure(search youtube for dbs mods); but mostly out in an open area or over the water. i got 2+ miles in a dense city surrounded my mobile towers, wifi and houses.
  3. even though i have the dbs mods, im still interested in the fdr mod b/c it claims that the signal is omni-directional rather than directional like that of the dbs mod. dbs mod has been tested and proven: fdr mod has not.

Reactions: BigAl07
To be objective to the word" directional" I can be out as far as 2 miles and turn the itelite panel almost 90% to my left or right and onlt drop a bar

To be objective to the word" directional" I can be out as far as 2 miles and turn the itelite panel almost 90% to my left or right and onlt drop a bar
then you are fortunate. i got this explanation from the dbs pilots when i asked them about the directional (dbs mod) vs omnidirectional (dji's) antennas.

here are some illustrations:
picture 1 (dbs antenna)

If you are standing in the red bullseye.
Green bullseye could be as much as 7 miles or more
Blue arrows can be more than 2 miles wide
Yellow arrows 2000ft each way from center
Red arrow dead spot as close as 250ft in back of you

Inside the blue line would be your BEST signal
Outside the blue line it will get weaker and weaker until you finally lose it

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
86Gn6H8

dji omni-directional antenna
Very good even coverage all around but that coverage may only extend out 4 to 6 thousand feet (in perfect conditions)
And a bad dead spot directly above the tip of the antenna... normal for a dipole mast antenna.
If you fly high above yourself tilt the controller and tip that donut up on it's side for better altitude.

Q5otHNy

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Last edited:
here are the illustrations of the dbs antenna and its range/explanation

If you are standing in the red bullseye.
Green bullseye could be as much as 7 miles or more
Blue arrows can be more than 2 miles wide
Yellow arrows 2000ft each way from center
Red arrow dead spot as close as 250ft in back of you

Inside the blue line would be your BEST signal
Outside the blue line it will get weaker and weaker until you finally lose it

dbs antenna.png

dji antenna range/explanation( "z" being where you are located with the remote)

dji omni-directional antenna
Very good even coverage all around but that coverage may only extend out 4 to 6 thousand feet (in perfect conditions)
And a bad dead spot directly above the tip of the antenna... normal for a dipole mast antenna.
If you fly high above yourself tilt the controller and tip that donut up on it's side for better altitude.

dji standard antenna.jpg

hope this helps explain the difference.

Samk thank you for that clarification. Definitely with you and 2 and 3 but I still think you can spare the controller casing by drilling through the dbs mod plug after removing the original antenna

Samk thank you for that clarification. Definitely with you and 2 and 3 but I still think you can spare the controller casing by drilling through the dbs mod plug after removing the original antenna

I believe I saw a solution from Dynamic3dSolutions made for this implementation. I wish I had seen this option before drilling holes in my controller.

welcome.
yes you can certainly do it that way, i think, but i didnt. i hear its much more complicated. plus, i didnt want to remove the dji's antennas in the event i wanted to use them in the future. right now i have best of both worlds.

i use the dbs mod and if i ever want to use dji's antenna i can.

I think you are referring to the item that I mentioned. It looks like a clean solution. I'd be interested in final photos if you can.

I should have the DBS next week along with the protection package which includes the plugs. DBS MOD PROTECTION PACKAGE – DBS Mods
They should fit snug with no issue. I will drill the 1/4 inch hole through his 3d printed plastic plug for the sma and lead in from there. I do not want to drill the body of the controller.
20150911_204416-picsay.jpg

20150911_205528-picsay.jpg

I wont know if it will actually fit until I get the plugs but its a good idea I think. At least in theory. :)

I personally have done both mods, and I prefer the one with drilled holes on top. Why? When you use the existing antenna holes, the connectors are not attached as well. If you sometimes use omnidirectional antennas, it's very easy to destroy the holes. This is even visible with the standard antennas from DJI: there are many users who have broken the connectors when turning the antenna in the wrong way...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20