Exchanging Phantom 4 for Phantom 3 Professional

Reaction score
Like the title says I'm going to return my P4 for a P3P tomorrow. The drone is a little over 2 weeks old and I've tried everything to get it to fly right. I even exchanged it once and still same issues. My wife's P3A flies a lot better. And it actually takes off and hovers to the correct altitude. Doesn't yo yo everytime the wind hits it. Now I'm not trying to say the P4 is bad but maybe the P3 has been optimised alot better with updates? I don't really know but everytime I go to fly my P4 Imy not having a good time and everytime I fly my wife's P3A Imy having alot more fun and feel alot more in control. I do find the P4 is a little more stable while hovering when it's not trying to ascend or descend but it's so extremely minor that it doesn't bother me. I also noticed the P4 doesn't display current altitude sometimes it will be 6 feet hovering (about my height) and it says anywhere from 2 feet to negative 8 feet. The P3A is very accurate in this regard. Anyone on here who owns both have the same experience as me? Or any owners of P3P think I'm making a good move? What are the main issues with the P3P or does it fly just like the P3A? Thank you and sorry for this huge rant/rave but dropping over 1500 dollars on a drone (P4 plus DJI Care) I can't justify keeping it when I can get the P3P for just over 1100 or 1200 and enjoy it alot more. Maybe I just got two bad ones or maybe I'm just meant to own a P3? Who knows but tomorrow I'm saying goodbye to toy I really wanted to enjoy that I gave multiple chances to prove itself. Big long boring post over..... thanks for reading and feel free to tell me your advice or cuss me out. Either way. ;)

I also noticed the P4 doesn't display current altitude sometimes it will be 6 feet hovering (about my height) and it says anywhere from 2 feet to negative 8 feet.
All of my Phantoms do this. The altitude is calculated using the barometer within the Phantom, so it's usually just going to be close.

with the P3P or does it fly just like the P3A?
Yes.

I can't justify keeping it when I can get the P3P for just over 1100 or 1200
P3Ps are currently going for as little as $817 here on Amazon. Perhaps you're referring to some kind of package deal though.

Last edited:
All of my Phantoms to this. The altitude is calculated using the barometer within the Phantom, so it's usually just going to be close.

Yes.

P3Ps are currently going for as little as $817 here on Amazon. Perhaps you're referring to some kind of package deal though.

I was referring to Bestbuy and DJI care combined

All of my Phantoms to this. The altitude is calculated using the barometer within the Phantom, so it's usually just going to be close.

Yes.

I really wanted to love the P4, and I'm STILL considering exchanging this P4 for another P4 haha. But the more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards the P3P. Especially with the yo yo effect I can't get over it. I see so many people with P4s that fly great and I get envious :( . I wish my luck was like that

Which firmware are you running? When exactly does it yo-yo?

The latest one. Imy not sure of the numbers. I've refreshed the firmware 3 times, after factory resetting, calibrated imu gps multiple times. Flown in multiple different areas. When I auto take off it says it will rise to 3.9ft and hover but it only lifts up 1 foot or so and you yos almost hitting the ground, one time It actually clipped the concrete. So I push up on the stick which it feels like it doesn't want to listen so I flight with it and it shoots up about 4 feet or so. Then while hovering at 6 feet, 3 feet, 15 feet, or any feet it goes up and down anywhere from 3 to 10 feet. Sometimes Imy thinking it's not going to stop and just continue to go up. It's very annoying.

Sounds like you should put a video on here, post your .dat files and try and sort out the P4. You may have to return it but if it's constantly yoyo'ing 10 feet, what's on the ground? You will be happy with the P4 once you get it sorted. Have you ever taken off manually?

I got the p3a. And i down graded as I feel it's the best out there right now. For my needs. I feel Icahn produce footage of class equal to the the inspire or yuneec h. But hell what do I know lol

It's done. I exchanged the P4 for a P3P. The deed is done. Got 300 plus dollars back , Also got a free extra battery. Too bad it's extremely windy right now or I would be out side. ;(

First I've heard of someone trading down if it's even considered a down. Let us know how she works out.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I haven't flown it yet. It's way too windy here. I'm considering getting a indoor mini , micro, or nano quadcopter for days like this to sharpen my flying skills .Anyone know of a good small indoor BRUSHLESS quadcopter under 500?

Like the title says I'm going to return my P4 for a P3P tomorrow. The drone is a little over 2 weeks old and I've tried everything to get it to fly right. I even exchanged it once and still same issues. My wife's P3A flies a lot better. And it actually takes off and hovers to the correct altitude. Doesn't yo yo everytime the wind hits it. Now I'm not trying to say the P4 is bad but maybe the P3 has been optimised alot better with updates? I don't really know but everytime I go to fly my P4 Imy not having a good time and everytime I fly my wife's P3A Imy having alot more fun and feel alot more in control. I do find the P4 is a little more stable while hovering when it's not trying to ascend or descend but it's so extremely minor that it doesn't bother me. I also noticed the P4 doesn't display current altitude sometimes it will be 6 feet hovering (about my height) and it says anywhere from 2 feet to negative 8 feet. The P3A is very accurate in this regard. Anyone on here who owns both have the same experience as me? Or any owners of P3P think I'm making a good move? What are the main issues with the P3P or does it fly just like the P3A? Thank you and sorry for this huge rant/rave but dropping over 1500 dollars on a drone (P4 plus DJI Care) I can't justify keeping it when I can get the P3P for just over 1100 or 1200 and enjoy it alot more. Maybe I just got two bad ones or maybe I'm just meant to own a P3? Who knows but tomorrow I'm saying goodbye to toy I really wanted to enjoy that I gave multiple chances to prove itself. Big long boring post over..... thanks for reading and feel free to tell me your advice or cuss me out. Either way. ;)

I think you are better returning the P4 and sharing the P3 with wife. :)

I haven't flown it yet. It's way too windy here. I'm considering getting a indoor mini , micro, or nano quadcopter for days like this to sharpen my flying skills .Anyone know of a good small indoor BRUSHLESS quadcopter under 500?

I don't think you will find a brushless quad that is suitable for indoor flight unless you are talking about inside a hangar or large gymnasium. They are just too fast and powerful to fly inside your home. There are lots of brushed motor quads that are great for indoors though. Try and stick with something like a Hubsan X4 H107 are something comparable. I personally like my Syma X11 quads because they were cheap and stable. Small enough to fly inside but heavy enough to fly outdoors in very mild wind.

Amazon.com: Hubsan X4 H107L Royal Blue H107 LED with Bonus Propeller Rotor Protection Guard (As shown): Toys & Games

Amazon.com: Syma X11C RC Quadcopter with Camera and LED Lights - Red: Toys & Games

Good Luck!

I don't think you will find a brushless quad that is suitable for indoor flight unless you are talking about inside a hangar or large gymnasium. They are just too fast and powerful to fly inside your home. There are lots of brushed motor quads that are great for indoors though. Try and stick with something like a Hubsan X4 H107 are something comparable. I personally like my Syma X11 quads because they were cheap and stable. Small enough to fly inside but heavy enough to fly outdoors in very mild wind.

Amazon.com: Hubsan X4 H107L Royal Blue H107 LED with Bonus Propeller Rotor Protection Guard (As shown): Toys & Games

Amazon.com: Syma X11C RC Quadcopter with Camera and LED Lights - Red: Toys & Games

Good Luck!

I am considering the Hubsan. Also I was checking out the Blade nano qx. If I get a brushed little quad I want one that I can easily replace the motors if they happen to go bad. Either one that you listed do you know off hand if that's possible with them?

I found a really cool brushless one called "super x" at around 300 dollars withouto transmitter. What I'm looking for is a quad that in the event the motors go bad I can fix easily, and something I can sharpen my flying skills on. I'd rather get a hobby grade quad instead of a "toyish"one but either way if Imy having fun and learning at the same time it doesn't matter ;)

I am considering the Hubsan. Also I was checking out the Blade nano qx. If I get a brushed little quad I want one that I can easily replace the motors if they happen to go bad. Either one that you listed do you know off hand if that's possible with them?

Replacement motors are readily available for both the Hubsan and Syma. I have not done a motor replacement on my Symas yet but one of the three does need one. It's a matter of disassembling the shell and unsoldering the original and re soldering the replacement. I don't think it's hard as long as you have steady hands and a little patience. I've done motor replacements on a couple larger toy quads. I have seen where a few of the bigger drones have implemented plug and play motors where no soldering is required but I have not seen that in the mini or micro class. The Blade products are good and Horizon Hobby is there to support you if needed. I prefer to save a little money as long as I know parts are available.

I don't think you will find a brushless quad that is suitable for indoor flight unless you are talking about inside a hangar or large gymnasium.
Love to fly my Blade 200QX indoors when too hot outside. It's a nicely tuned brushless bird. It has a docile mode for indoors and enough power to fly wild and crazy outdoors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20