Excessive video sharpening and saturation

Reaction score
First post (Buying a vision plus in a week or so)

One of the things that I have been lamenting about before purchasing the vision plus is the amount of unsharp masking and color saturation that DJI puts in the video of the vision. Unlike the Gopro which provides a RAW option the Vision video is already processed before it is written to file. I am assuming that this cannot be turned off? I also understand that to many people this is a feature as it makes the video look sharper and contain richer textures , but for those desiring a more realistic presentation it becomes a bit of an annoyance. I appreciate the all-in-one approach of the vision plus hardware so I have decided to go in this direction but the problem of over-sharpened video remains.

So the question I have is this: Is anyone using a software package to reduce these effects? I have played around with various methods of lessening these artifacts and see promise toward making the video look more realistic but there is no sense in re-inventing the wheel if I don't need to.

clark

Are you looking at an actual video file off of a Vision+ or the highly compressed YouTube video's?

If you have an unedited video file directly from a Vision+ where did you get it and can you post a link, I have been asking for this so I can see what the video really looks like but everyone just keeps posting YouTube video links.

The best option I have come up with so far is to treat every frame with an iteration of wavelet noise reduction. This removes a good portion of the dark/light transition artifacts of the unsharp masking while maintaining more detail than say a gaussian blur. But this is a lengthy process though...

The original video cropped from mp4 and saved as half decent quality JPG:
raw_zps4d0fdfb4.jpg

and the wavlet transformed with some saturation removed:
wavlet_zpsfe7359c5.jpg

clark

Jayson Hanes said:
I posted some RAW jpg's just now: http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12640

could some of the artifacting/issues be a result of low-light? it was cloudy and miserably windy out during that fligth..

hi jason

i downloaded your video
http://jaysonhanes.com/p2vplus/DJI00001.mp4

i was wondering why is it when you turn your vision+ the camera focus on the object is wavy ?
its pain in the eyes when my eye is focusing on the object and the camera is turning...

example:
at 55 seconds in the video above, notice the roof of the white suv. its flickering or something waving..
is that normal ?

thanks

Jayson Hanes said:
I would guess that the framerate isn't high enough compared to how quickly I was yawing, in those winds. The camera was tilted down, so there are many variables at play for imperfections to be evident.

do you have gopro there?
maybe you can try sidebyside with the same height place and orientatio
by just adding gopro below the vision+ cam using velcro strap/magic tape.

that will help us determine if its affected also.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie