Exact meaning of "aircraft warming up"?

Reaction score
This isn't much of a problem, more of just an interest...

When I power on my Phantom 3 Advanced, it says "Aircraft Warming Up". Which is normal. But I want to know if it mean "preparing for flight" or if it is literally warming the battery for better usage in cold environments. I have noticed that it takes longer to "warm up" when it's colder.

Any ideas? Thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It's bringing the IMU and Light Bridge up to temp. You do have some control on how soon or quick the process takes place. If you get the aircraft as cool as possible and calibrate the IMU, the aircraft will then be nearly ready to each time you power it up. Otherwise you sit and wait 2-3 mins each flight. Several place their aircraft in the freezer prior to IMU calibration. To do this process, you will want to have everything setup before removing the aircraft from the cold area you have it placed. Meaning, Have all powered up except aircraft, set GO app to point of selecting the start calibration process. Remove aircraft from cold area, set on level surface, and power up right away, select start calibration.

And now you will have an improved flying experience.

Reactions: Alex Baxter
If that takes too long you might try to calibrate IMU when the AC is cool.

I was cynical about the fridge bit, until I put mine in the refrigerator (with the battery) for half an hour before IMU calibration, now it's warmed up even before it's got the full satellite lock. I'd guess the IMU looks to see if it's run at the current ambient switch on temperature, and if it has not, it has to check for electronic stability at that temperature. Extrapolating that theory, I'd say the IMU calibration starts at ambient and goes up to a high ambient. Is it likely if you live somewhere hot, and do an IMU calibration in an air conditioned room, and take the bird out to fly in 40 degrees, is the warm up instant in that case? Living in Ireland, I'll probably never find out for myself:oops:

It's bringing the IMU and Light Bridge up to temp. You do have some control on how soon or quick the process takes place. If you get the aircraft as cool as possible and calibrate the IMU, the aircraft will then be nearly ready to each time you power it up. Otherwise you sit and wait 2-3 mins each flight. Several place their aircraft in the freezer prior to IMU calibration. To do this process, you will want to have everything setup before removing the aircraft from the cold area you have it placed. Meaning, Have all powered up except aircraft, set GO app to point of selecting the start calibration process. Remove aircraft from cold area, set on level surface, and power up right away, select start calibration.

And now you will have an improved flying experience.

Placing in freezer or refrigerator isn't the best idea either. Some have noted condensation when removing the bird into a warmer environment causing electrical issues from the moisture from the condensation. It's best to just leave it in a cool spot like a basement or in the cooler evening for a few hours then do the calibration.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Lefty63
I was cynical about the fridge bit, until I put mine in the refrigerator (with the battery) for half an hour before IMU calibration, now it's warmed up even before it's got the full satellite lock. I'd guess the IMU looks to see if it's run at the current ambient switch on temperature, and if it has not, it has to check for electronic stability at that temperature. Extrapolating that theory, I'd say the IMU calibration starts at ambient and goes up to a high ambient. Is it likely if you live somewhere hot, and do an IMU calibration in an air conditioned room, and take the bird out to fly in 40 degrees, is the warm up instant in that case? Living in Ireland, I'll probably never find out for myself:oops:
Shouldn't have put the battery in there too as that doesn't need to be cooled.
I cooled mine in our fridge which runs at 4c. Now get a start-up in 15 seconds instead of the 2.5 mins I was previously waiting.

Wow.... thanks for all the replies, everyone! Never thought my first post would get this popular!

I don't mind the 2 minutes it takes to warm up, because it gives me time to adjust camera settings to my liking (based on time of day). Buts it's nice to know that freezer trick, or the more safe basement trick.

Thanks all :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hi Numone,

I put the battery in to add some low temperature mass to keep the whole drone cool when I got it all level and started the calibration, probably unnecessary I agree, but no harm in it either.. It may help in a warm kitchen.

When I researched IMU calibration some time ago I ran across documentation that stated the IMU should be calibrated at 20C.

Since then I've calibrated my IMU between 15-20c by placing it outside or on the A/C vent.
It's 10c outside today, set my bird outside until the shell was around 12C. Fired up the bird and it took about 5 sec. for the warmup to complete. If the bird is anywhere near 20C there is no warmup period.

I personally don't like the idea of sticking the xcopter in a fridge or freezer. Too easy to get Condensation on components, as well it could get too cold which may affect the actual calibration. Sensitive electronics are usually calibrated at specific values for optimal performance so I doubt the P3P is any different.

People found calibrating the IMU at temps above 20c resulted in longer warm up times. So rather than trying to get the to the proper calibration temp. they are being told to put it in a fridge or freezer, which may not be the best idea.

Just my two bits worth.

When I researched IMU calibration some time ago I ran across documentation that stated the IMU should be calibrated at 20C.

Since then I've calibrated my IMU between 15-20c by placing it outside or on the A/C vent.
It's 10c outside today, set my bird outside until the shell was around 12C. Fired up the bird and it took about 5 sec. for the warmup to complete. If the bird is anywhere near 20C there is no warmup period.

I personally don't like the idea of sticking the xcopter in a fridge or freezer. Too easy to get Condensation on components, as well it could get too cold which may affect the actual calibration. Sensitive electronics are usually calibrated at specific values for optimal performance so I doubt the P3P is any different.

People found calibrating the IMU at temps above 20c resulted in longer warm up times. So rather than trying to get the to the proper calibration temp. they are being told to put it in a fridge or freezer, which may not be the best idea.

Just my two bits worth.
It has also been noted here in a few of the other "cold IMU" threads that doing so may not give the barometer time to adjust which is why some have less accurate altitude readings. Of course the altitude reading is not super accurate anyway, but they are saying even less accurate than normal after a cold IMU. Note - this is just what I read here in a few threads. Since it's the Internet it is 100% true.

Reactions: JoBe
Placing in freezer or refrigerator isn't the best idea either. Some have noted condensation when removing the bird into a warmer environment causing electrical issues from the moisture from the condensation. It's best to just leave it in a cool spot like a basement or in the cooler evening for a few hours then do the calibration.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The idea is for readers to see that getting the aircraft cold is important for what's taken place. And also to know there's a sequence for getting it started in a timely fashion.

You can't get to caught up in worrying about condensation.

Just my two bits worth.

When you take the A/C outside to fly in cold weather, you don't think condensation comes into play at all? What is so different about it?

I have never used a refrigerator or freezer. But I do know there are those that do not live in climates that get cold outside. The refrigerator or freezer gives them a option.

best place IMO is hanging from the AC vent.. I positioned mine with a hanger and placed it aiming down, the ac blew straight into the belly of the Drone, about 10 minutes of 40-50C air blowing into it is all that's needed.. No condensation that fridges give and in lots of area's of the world, we don't have basements or "cool" area's in Florida, its all hot as @#%$

:)

When you take the A/C outside to fly in cold weather, you don't think condensation comes into play at all? What is so different about it?

I have never used a refrigerator or freezer. But I do know there are those that do not live in climates that get cold outside. The refrigerator or freezer gives them a option.

Yes I agree condensation can still come into play and should be considered when flying in extreme low temperature conditions.

The problem I see with the process is the general public may not consider the condensation issue and unnecessary cool the bird too much, ie if cooling it to 20c is good then -20c will be even better! Then they bring it into a warm high humidity area and the moisture condenses out onto the frozen bird.

When done properly I believe the procedure can be accomplished quite safely and effectively. ie don't over cool, bring the bird out into the lowest humidity environment possible.
Telling people to cool the Phantom on an A/C vent is probably the easist

P.S. If you buy a TV or other electronic devices in these parts (cold) the manufacture usually warns you to let the device warm up to room temp. before firing up your new toy, to prevent condensation.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl