ex CEO Colin Guinn is ALIVE, Files legal Injunction against

Re: ex CEO Colin Guinn is ALIVE, Files legal Injunction agai

The injunction has no impact on dealers outside the jurisdiction in which it was served. I wouldn't be surprised if a few of the European dealers suddenly start to negotiate some more attractive courier delivery rates to the US... Don't forget that exports outside the EU don't have UK VAT on them, for example, which accounts for 20% of the sticker price.

I suspect that Mr Guinn will run out of money for lawyers before DJI does - the injunction route is a gamble because if DJI don't move to settle the action swiftly and pay him off, then I suspect Mr G will end up bankrupt pretty quickly.

As the guy in the video said, savvy dealers can pretty quickly set up a new company and put orders direct to DJI China through the books of the new company. If enough of them do that then DJI has zero incentive to settle and can just stall for months or years, meanwhile Mr G is racking up $$$s.

As ever in these things, usually the only winners are the lawyers.

LandYachtMedia said:
I think there is a dangerous assumption in that video - that Colin was an employee of DJI.

Basically, it sounds like we've been given a tidbit of info and this guy in the video (whoever he is), is giving us his viewpoint. That in itself isn't bad, but I'll do the wait-and-see thing for my part, before I start tearing what little hair I have left, out. I'm sure we'll hear more about his as the days (hell, minutes!) go by. I don't think it's the end of the (DJI) world yet.

Oh, and I always thought Colin had more to do with DJI than a 'simple' employee relationship. How much more, I don't know.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Colin is such a piece of ****. The guy was nothing more than a glorified spokesman for the company. He didn't make the hardware, he didn't right software..........the whole thing is just too funny. Its nothing more than extortion.

LandYachtMedia said:
I think there is a dangerous assumption in that video - that Colin was an employee of DJI.

Agreed, and I don't believe he was a direct employee at all...the company he set up here was contracted to DJI to provide marketing services in the US. If he was just an employee, he would have had to file the injunction personally rather than as a representative of his company.

I'm also very curious how a state circuit court can issue an injunction that applies nationwide...?

I don't this would have a major impact. Sure, those dealers may not be able to buy from DJI directly for the time bring, but there is nothing stopping them from buying from another dealer or channel. I wont be surprised if DJI is setting up just such a channel right now. Besides, nothing stops new dealers from joining and i would bet there are tons willing to line up.

I for will sign up to drop ship a few items from DJI to a former dealer for a spare product or two once in a while.

I would wager that very few here have any idea the nature of the relationship between Guinn/DJI NA and DJI china. Unless you have seen their contracts I would refrain from making any assumptions. It is altogether possible that his company was given exclusive distribution for the U.S.

We simply dont know.

Its highly improbably the judge would have granted the injunction if this were merely a 'disgruntled employee'. Shutting down the flow of business has a very tangible impact, and is not something done lightly.

Colin can suck on my colon.

He should be thankful for the experience and opportunity he had.

Greedy punk with lawyers is all I see.

It will pass like **** from a goose, it was "Texas Court" after all.

Pull_Up said:
The injunction has no impact on dealers outside the jurisdiction in which it was served. I wouldn't be surprised if a few of the European dealers suddenly start to negotiate some more attractive courier delivery rates to the US... Don't forget that exports outside the EU don't have UK VAT on them, for example, which accounts for 20% of the sticker price.

I suspect that Mr Guinn will run out of money for lawyers before DJI does - the injunction route is a gamble because if DJI don't move to settle the action swiftly and pay him off, then I suspect Mr G will end up bankrupt pretty quickly.

As the guy in the video said, savvy dealers can pretty quickly set up a new company and put orders direct to DJI China through the books of the new company. If enough of them do that then DJI has zero incentive to settle and can just stall for months or years, meanwhile Mr G is racking up $$$s.

As ever in these things, usually the only winners are the lawyers.

Actually, the injunction does not obligate or bind anyone not party to the lawsuit. This means that all dealers anywhere in the US can purchase from any distributor or any other DJI affiliate company not subject to the temporary restraining order. Not having seen the pleadings, my guess is that defendant DJI Hong Kong would be the party subject to the conditions of the TRO.

We will see dealers and distributors bringing the DJI products through other distribution channels.

I don't profess to understand American law. Are the documents filed by Mr Guinn available on any website so we can actually read his case ? If anyone knows a link to them please post in this thread.

The answer is no. Unless you are a Texas attorney registered with the District Court there, you have no access to the documents. I tried to access based on the parties and case number with no success yet. If I get them and they are not subject to any restriction, I'll try to post them.

Shrimpfarmer said:
I know you should never panic but I have just grabbed two more batteries and some other bits and bobs.

I can understand buying up phantom shells, ESCs, or other stock parts. But why non-DJI items like batteries and props?

FlyingFanta said:
Shrimpfarmer said:
I know you should never panic but I have just grabbed two more batteries and some other bits and bobs.

I can understand buying up phantom shells, ESCs, or other stock parts. But why non-DJI items like batteries and props?

Not aware of any non DJI batteries available yet for the Vision or P2 ? Have I missed a memo ?

FlyingFanta said:
Shrimpfarmer said:

Because batteries in the Phantom 2 & Vision are totally proprietary - you can't stick any old lipo in there. They are smart batteries with onboard balance and data circuitry and telemetry data contacts.

Also I haven't seen any reports of any non-DJI Vision/Phantom 2 props performing as well as the stock props. That may well change but the current eBay knock-offs have generally unimpressive feedback.

Pull_Up said:
FlyingFanta said:
Shrimpfarmer said:

Because batteries in the Phantom 2 & Vision are totally proprietary - you can't stick any old lipo in there. They are smart batteries with onboard balance and data circuitry and telemetry data contacts.

Also I haven't seen any reports of any non-DJI Vision/Phantom 2 props performing as well as the stock props. That may well change but the current eBay knock-offs have generally unimpressive feedback.

Good point about the props. Have there been mods to use non-proprietary batteries? Where does the check for legitimate DJI battery happen?

What is the big worry.. there are a bunch of Chinese sellers on ebay selling parts it may take a extra few days to get to you but no reason to start hoarding.

LandYachtMedia said:

I've seen references to Colin as CEO of the US operations for DJI, which makes it a bit more complicated than employee status. CEOs and other executives have contracts and agreements and other lawyer-type things, which accounts for the court case.

Timtro said:
LandYachtMedia said:

I've seen references to Colin as CEO of the US operations for DJI, which makes it a bit more complicated than employee status. CEOs and other executives have contracts and agreements and other lawyer-type things, which accounts for the court case.
I get the funny feeling that the dealers involved will not be as responsive with issues

Timtro said:
LandYachtMedia said:

Sort of had that impression too when there were rumours that 'Colin was fired\removed from CEO position by DJI'... then 'replaced by Wang Tao', which I thought was DJI's guy from China put in place of Colin... but apparently, Wang Tao is Colin's partner all along.

For those who are wondering if it possible to use a non dji battery on the p2 or p2v, there is an active thread going on at rcgroups. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2085480

I for one do not appreciate being locked down. Those batteries are good granted, but single sourcing a critical consumable item is just a bad idea. Especially if extra effort is placed into the product to lock it down instead if other improvements. Made better battery? Good for you. Place it on the market and let people decide, but don't out of your way to lock down your product.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic