Ever use black tape to cover your lights?

Litchi allows you to turn off the brighter LED's on the arms. I just did it the other day for kicks. I don't know if it always had that option or what but I found it just this weekend messing around the app's setting. This was for the Android version on my Nexus 9. I'm not sure if it's available on the iOS version. You'll have still to tape your battery LED though.

If I used tape. I would use Gaffer tape. Some people call it gaff tape.

[WIKI]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape[/WIKI]

Reactions: xardoz
Ah, good to know.

Screenshot from video, it looks absolutely awful when dark.. Fits like a glove, not.
0ef08bd9af321a64c4f76ac2f219fc21.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Two years ago I hovered directly over the police harbor blockade recording the display with lights-a-blazing. No problems with the police. Last year I chose the stealth route.

If you have to cover up lights to fly incognito in areas where flying is questionable, you probably shouldn't be flying in those areas. A good example is Baltimore. Despite fireworks being launched from barges in the water, the police have authority and directive to cite those who fly near that area during a show. Thus one would be risking a rather expensive ticket to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fplvert and SZNJ732
Glad that you did it 2 years ago. But guess what? Things change. There is an over $200.00 ticket now, and the Chief has ordered his officers to enforce it. In fact, 3 people had to go to Court just this past year and each paid a solid fine with their citation. One of whom appealed their citation and it was upheld in both the Circuit Court of Appeals and the District Court. So the fine gentleman was out over $300 in court costs and fees as well as attorney fees.

Two years ago I hovered directly over the police harbor blockade recording the display with lights-a-blazing. No problems with the police. Last year I chose the stealth route.

It is not advisable for ritzy over-educated folk from the burbs to exit their gated communities & hang out in Baltimore. The low-class locals don't take kindly to judgemental pinheads in their midst & are nationally known for administering immediate on-the-spot attitude adjustments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tony Walker
Last warning in this thread to be civil. Next time I need to step in there will be warnings given out. I am low on my monthly quota, so, yeah.

It's not a good idea to black out all lights on the phantom. When I turn the front off it's hard enough orientating the bird. All lights out, impossible. Sounds corny I realize, but safety is job one. It is not safe to black out all orientation lights. If you have to, turn off the front for pictures and then turn them back on for flying. For video, in my experience you can keep them on as long as you keep at least a 5% or more gimbal pitch down. And my experience is a lot of night video.

Especially if you are turning them off because you are flying in an area where it is questionable to do so.

It's not a good idea to black out all lights on the phantom. When I turn the front off it's hard enough orientating the bird. All lights out, impossible. Sounds corny I realize, but safety is job one. It is not safe to black out all orientation lights. If you have to, turn off the front for pictures and then turn them back on for flying. For video, in my experience you can keep them on as long as you keep at least a 5% or more gimbal pitch down. And my experience is a lot of night video.

Glad that you did it 2 years ago. But guess what? Things change. There is an over $200.00 ticket now, and the Chief has ordered his officers to enforce it. In fact, 3 people had to go to Court just this past year and each paid a solid fine with their citation. One of whom appealed their citation and it was upheld in both the Circuit Court of Appeals and the District Court. So the fine gentleman was out over $300 in court costs and fees as well as attorney fees.

Worse in L.A. No night flying period. Misdemeanor, fines and jail time.

The crazy thing is that somehow people think that this is all "made-up"...that somehow the "media" would cover every instance of this. They'll learn very quickly when they face the consequences though....

Worse in L.A. No night flying period. Misdemeanor, fines and jail time.

Guy in adjacent neighborhood said he'd shoot it down.
The real violation here is discharging a firearm in the city limits. Which the police will actually arrest you for because.. imagine this... it is against the law. So tell your idiot neighbor to go ahead and shoot at your UAV.

Notice I said your UAV...

The crazy thing is that somehow people think that this is all "made-up"...that somehow the "media" would cover every instance of this. They'll learn very quickly when they face the consequences though....
Naw it isn't made up. I'm glad they don't have those laws here in NM. CA is a nice place to visit!

at night let lights shine that why I have blue led so I can see it better neighbors just freak out

Yes white duct tape. I can't stand how you can't turn the lights off on the P2 so I opened it up and chipped off the LEDs now I don't have lights at all I like it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4