Even Faster FPV :) 1440p30 with Abe Kislevitz method

Reaction score
Starting to have some great fun thrashing the Phantom around FPV style, my new monitor makes it so much easier as I can actually see what I am doing now. You can check the thread on that here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1155

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rffsMqwuMOs[/youtube]

This was shot in 1440p30 using cineform studio to Anamorphicly stretch it to 1080p 16:9 here is Abe Kislevitz view on this mode. He is the Head Production Artist at GoPro.

1440 30 Wide
I love this mode! First off, it’s VERY sharp and very clean. It really gives you a sense of real POV when you wear the camera on your head, chest, or bite it in your mouth. It can be a pain to deal with, as the aspect ratio is 4:3, but if you know the anamorphic 16:9 dynamic stretch tricks, it can be wonderful. If you’re filming POV to just keep to re-live life later, this is a rad mode to use.

The idea is that you shoot in 1440p and the stretch it much like you would on an old widescreen TV as it stretched the 4:3 video into 16:9, normally it doesn't work that great but the benefit of GoPro especially in a POV type shot is you get the widest FOV possible using the entire sensor. And when doing this to the footage rather then just a basic zoom or crop it actually works quite well due to the lens on the gopro. I had heard Abe make mention of this a very long time ago but never really gave it a go and they added the H Dynamic slider into cineform to make this easier to do.

Simply shoot in 1440p30 (preferably as the image quality is much better there then in 48p) then in cineform when converting the file make sure you set output as 1080p and also check "make 16:9)

Then in step 2 simply move the slider to the left which will stretch the outside but bring back the middle till you get it where you want.

The reason I tried a 4:3 mode is that I noticed whenever flying in a 16:9 mode via fpv on my screen it ends up letterboxed which is odd as the screen is 16:9. The 4:3 modes are shown on the screen as full screen 16:9 modes :? and this is the same with the LCD backpack and all video outputs from the GoPro I think. So flying in 1440p30 you have the option of simply cropping to 1080p and get the same end result as if you shot in 1080p30, with the advantage of being able to see more on the top and bottom of the screen in flight. You can also crop to frame your shot better in post, you could even use keyframes if very keen and use it as a cam tilt in post.

Or you can use Abe's method which I think gets a pretty cool result, being the first time I have really used this approach I may end up tweaking the H dynamic slider differently later on but its another interesting option.

This flight was a little windy 20-30kmh winds and I went out trying to find some kangaroos later in the afternoon but all I saw was their droppings. Then decided to see if I can get better laps here then last time, flying atti mode it was a bit tricky with the wind especially in the cross breeze and I didn't want to get too low. Top speed down the back I think would be close to 100kmh as the speed limit there is 80kmh and everyone goes well beyond that and I am at least matching the cars speeds if you look closely.

I'll try Abe's method -- looks quite interesting -- but I'll have to take a pass on the high speed FPV maneuvers, which would undoubtedly end in tears. Are you using the GoPro for FPV? And which monitor do you have?

I'm enjoying your various posts and experiments on the bleeding edge! :)

Thanks, I am thinking it may end in tears or at least pieces at some point lol, I need lots of likes in the video contest as a second phantom for spares may be needed at some point :)

I am using the gopro as my FPV cam and the reason I tried 1440p is because the gopro video out in 16:9 is letter boxed on a 16:9 screen. I noticed before recording video it would fill the screen with video as this is showing the full image but once recording starts it cuts out the top and bottom. Using a 4:3 mode then gives me a full screen image and lets me see more above and below handy especially in fast flying as it pitches forward sometimes you cant see in front of you properly which is not good. I like the image quality in 2.7k for slow cinematic stuff but have been playing around with different modes for the faster flying. After having tried this mode I thought I may have a go ar Abe's method he told me about a long time ago but I never got around to it as I didnt use to shoot this sort of video with my gopro's before.

The screen I am using is an 7 inch skylark sunview i put a link to the thread about it in the first post. I just got it in last week from china, had a cheap aris before that and it was close to useless in daylight. This screen is awesome giving me much better video image so I can push my flying much more and mistakes will be my fault not because of a screen issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic