EV says +2.0 and I have ordered ND8 filter

Reaction score
Hi,

today I have tried to see EV on the sunny day and It says +2.0. Unfortunately I have ordered **** ND8 filter.

I bought ND8 because everyone here said ND4 is for early morning and late afternoon but in Europe sunny day in 12AM says EV 2.0 so no need for ND8. I am waiting fir my filter to arrive so I dont know how it will look.

Will I have too dark videos now ?

Hi,

today I have tried to see EV on the sunny day and It says +2.0. Unfortunately I have ordered **** ND8 filter.

I bought ND8 because everyone here said ND4 is for early morning and late afternoon but in Europe sunny day in 12AM says EV 2.0 so no need for ND8. I am waiting fir my filter to arrive so I dont know how it will look.

Will I have too dark videos now ?

Even between 6-7pm I have had to use ND16 filter on some days.. Around mid-day ND16 was insufficient based on how much of the sky is in the view..

I am in Europe and I have read that this EV says how much stops the filter needs to be. I have set ISO 100, shutter 60 and 30fps and it gave me EV +2.0

Did you also use that EV for ND number or ?

ND 8 will decrease your exposure by 3 f stops, which with the settings you are using will make your exposure 1 stop under exposed....the simple way to get correct exposure in that case would be to increase the ISO to 200.

Will ISO 200 and ND8 make sunny videos noticable worse than ISO 100 and ND4 filter ? I ordered ND4 and then I read on like 100 places that ND4 has basicaly no use on sunny day and then I sent them that they ship me ND8.

ISO 200 and ND 8 won't be a problem....it's only when you start using high ISO settings that you notice a drop in quality.

Reactions: Karanba
Ok great then, I most down so there is nor sky in videos, I hope ND8 with ISO 200 will give great videos.
But please people dont write that ND4 is not for sunny days :)

But please people dont write that ND4 is not for sunny days
This chart is accurate in most locations:

Filter-Use-Chart.png

I dont see how this chart can be used if we are looking on the EV. With ND32 on sunny day it would look literally like it is raining outside or even like it is dusk.

I dont see how this chart can be used if we are looking on the EV.
You're right -- it has nothing to do with the EV. It will tell you which filter you need to achieve the desired EV of 0 though.

Last edited:
Well isnt our goal with ND filter to come to EV 0 with desired fps, double that shutter and ISO 100 ?

Can you elaborate ? I want to keep all bright colors when filming nature and I dont see how to get that with ND32. It simply cannot "see" all colors through welding mask :)

Can you elaborate?
You will not be able to achieve the desired results buy only using one ND filter. At minimum, I'd suggest you purchase an ND8 and an ND16. An ND32 might also be needed if you fly in full sun conditions. As you use your filters, you'll get a better understanding of which is required for each usual outdoor lighting scenario that you encounter. If you choose the wrong ND filter, just swap it out with a lighter/darker ND filter from your arsenal.

In short, don't just buy an ND8 filter :)

Yea, I was thinking of getting ND4 also but I hate dark videos, I want those screaming colors like GoPro advertisement videos. I know I need to make some postproduction but no program can invent color when the senzor was in dark and did not see them.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj