Estimated Battery Life of Transmitter and WiFi Extender?

Reaction score
Just got my Phantom 2 Vision, and was wonder how many spare batteries I should get I already have One Spare, but don't want to go over the run time of the WiFi Extender.

I know it charges in about 4 hours, but how long are the batteries in the Wifi Extender supposed to last? Also, the Transmitter batteries how much use should I get?

Cheers,

Robert

The extender will do 4 or five flights with no problem at all, but there have been some posters claiming better wifi range with a freshly charged extender, but I'm not sure how real or not that is. It only takes 4 hours for the initial charge. If you charge it up after or before every flying session it won't take too long. I carry a portable 14000mAh recharger in my flight case in case I leave and have forgotten to charge either the extender or my phone, as both can be used whilst plugged into a power source.

Depending on your power source for the transmitter (standard disposable AA, high quality rechargeables, lithium disposable AA, etc) then anywhere between 20 and 40+ flights or so has been reported. Again some have reported better range with a fresh set than later on in their life but I'm not sure how "real" that is either.

Thanks for the help Pullup!

So a total of 4 batteries should be just fine to use on one Wi-Fi Extender Charge then?

Have heard some people having motor problems, is this just a one off thing, or is there a problem with the Phantom's motors? How long have you had yours?

I recommend stashing the following in your Quad bag:

- 4 spare AA batteries
- 5000mah+ portable USB charger
- spare propellers
- superglue (look into Sugru for non-emergency plastic mods)
- double sided tapes\industrial velcro pads
- wrench, screwdriver set, etc

DJRocc said:
Thanks for the help Pullup!

So a total of 4 batteries should be just fine to use on one Wi-Fi Extender Charge then?

Have heard some people having motor problems, is this just a one off thing, or is there a problem with the Phantom's motors? How long have you had yours?

More than. But always carry a spare set, even if you ditch your before you get the low voltage warning each time. You never know.

I haven't heard anything about motor problems due to manufacturing issues. I have mine since release day on 1st November. The only motor issues I've seen reported are failures due to owners removing prop guards and not then using the original short screws thus damaging the windings and killing the motors. The other thing is that after a crash (or perhaps after prolonged use due to vibration) the clips that hold the shaft at the base of the motor come off. The magnets holding the motor are pretty strong so what seems to happen is the clip or a small spacer beneath it come loose and short something out inside the aircraft. Routine checks and thorough inspection after crashes should catch these.

As far as I'm aware the motors might be the most reliable parts! :D

Thanks Guys, will heed to your advice!

Anybody hear any more info on the Colin Guin "Situation"? :)

On first landings, does the Phantom's Landing gear seem a bit unstable, subject to tilting in some higher grasses?

Lol @ the Motors being one of the most durable items, I really hope so.

I've never had a tip over. The skids are narrow, so uneven surfaces or long, thick grass might cause it to be bit unsettled. Last flight, I had a ten year old land it in grassy field - he did a great job but unbeknown to us he landed on a small divot and the aircraft had a bit of a lean, but it still didn't tip. Kill the motors by holding the throttle down rather than pulling sticks together for a CSC would be my tip.

Once you're comfortable with controlling it you could always hand-catch it (using a safe method) if you're uncertain of the ground. I always take off from my flight case as it keeps dust from being kicked into the aircraft through the vents in dry weather and keeps the camera away from wet grass if it's been more normal weather in my part of the world... ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20