Estate agent using my photos

Reaction score
I'm new to the drone scene and live in quite a rural area and can very quickly get out over fields and woods flying from my garden, which has been the majority of my flights so far whilst I'm learning.
A neighbour recently put their house up for sale and I asked if they would be interested in me taking some aerial shots of their house to put on their listing, which they were happy to accept.
I took a selection of shots from different heights/angles and gave them to the neighbour free of charge.
They were delighted and passed them on to the estate agent.
They informed today that some of the pictures had gone onto their listing, which gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. Lol.
Whilst having a mooch on the estate agents website I spotted one of my photos on a different listing which I thought was a bit cheeky of the agents. I doubt that there is anything I can say because I gave the pics to the neighbour and I have no idea what has been said/agreed between them and the agents.
To me this is just a hobby at the moment, but it would be nice to get some £££s back, but I believe I would need to get a CAA certificate and insurance to be able to charge for future pics.
I was considering contacting the estate agent concerned to get an idea for demand for those type of shots to help gauge whether the investment required would be worthwhile.

I know it's ready to Boom here in the U.S. Just waiting for the FAA to get out of the way. I was getting ready to warn you that you might want to pull this post before an FAA lurker sees it. But I see you are in what,,UK or Europe? Here in the States, what you posted would get you a $10,000 fine if FAA found that out and you weren't completely legal. And yes, even doing it for free for your friend. You said you need CAA Certificate. What's involved in getting that where you live?

Hi.
Yes I'm based in the UK.
My understanding of the relevant rules are that the CAA has a law within the UK with regards UAV usage for commercial gain. If you intend to fly your aircraft for video or photograpy for personal financial gain the CAA require the user to hold a Civil Pilots licence and must undertake relevant check to fly their aircraft.
I think the important phrase is "personal financial gain" and in this situation there wasn't any personal financial gain. I obviously don't want to make a habit of giving my drone footage away, it's not fair on professional photographers who would be losing out. I don't want to be a professional but it's always nice to make a few £ from something you enjoy.
I think getting CAA certification costs around £1500. Comercial Insurance I have no idea. I'm sure it won't be cheap. Something to look into in the future.

It's pretty crappy for them to use your images other than you intended but as you stated you did "give them away". Unless you stated only for that one purpose specifically it's more of a live & learn situation.

Fly safe and have fun :)

Hi.
Yes I'm based in the UK.
My understanding of the relevant rules are that the CAA has a law within the UK with regards UAV usage for commercial gain. If you intend to fly your aircraft for video or photograpy for personal financial gain the CAA require the user to hold a Civil Pilots licence and must undertake relevant check to fly their aircraft.
I think the important phrase is "personal financial gain" and in this situation there wasn't any personal financial gain. I obviously don't want to make a habit of giving my drone footage away, it's not fair on professional photographers who would be losing out. I don't want to be a professional but it's always nice to make a few £ from something you enjoy.
I think getting CAA certification costs around £1500. Comercial Insurance I have no idea. I'm sure it won't be cheap. Something to look into in the future.
You don't need a pilots licence.....you have to obtain a Permission for Aerial Work (PFAW) from the CAA.
See here for information.Training & PFAW | UAV Training Courses | ARPAS-UK

Last edited:
you might want to follow my posts here if you want to get your CAA PFAW for about £215
Are you thinking about getting the CAA PFAW? This might save you £1000's.

I have a post on here about it but this site is predominantly US users and the info wont help them.
Still work in progress but its looking good so far.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: noki49
forgot to add this will only grant you recreational use without the caa restrictions, if you want to set up a commercial business then it would be about £115 + commercial insurance. that starts around the £600 mark. But its still a lot cheaper than the alternative.

you might want to follow my posts here if you want to get your CAA PFAW for about £215
Are you thinking about getting the CAA PFAW? This might save you £1000's.

I have a post on here about it but this site is predominantly US users and the info wont help them.
Still work in progress but its looking good so far.

I read your post on uavforums, but I don't understand the part where you say it removes the restrictions on flying in congested areas.....be grateful if you could explain.

yeah, basically without the permission from the CAA we are restricted to not being able to fly within 150m of a congested area. A congested area is defined as residential, industrial, commercial or recreational area. As a photographer wanting to do aerial photography this seriously restricts where I can shoot. Gaining the PFAW will allow me to get those shots. I aim to build a portfolio and if it generates enough interest to start a business then ill look at getting commercial insurance. but in the mean time. all the photos and video i take will be above board with no repercussions.

As I understand it, even if you have your PFAW you still have to obtain 'special permission' from the CAA to operate in a congested area. That would mean submitting your flight plan ahead of the event.

As part of the process in obtaining the PFAW you have to submit an Operations Manual to the CAA, as long as you have covered how you plan to operate in these areas including risk assessment in your operations manual and your SUSA is less than 7kg then you are in the clear and don't need to submit what was the CHAOSC but is now the OSC every time you want to fly.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yeah the congested area safety operations case CAOSC (i misspelled in prev post) is the part that as long as its covered in your operations manual covers you for each flight. You can apply for special permission if the flight is outside the remit you put in your Op Man for a single flight.

Cheers for the info Malakai, very interesting. I would love to see that operations manual. What area are you in.
Please keep us informed as to how you get on.
I think the bit about the insurance is interesting. I think everyone should have 3rd party cover just in case the worst happens. I will definitely look into that.

Yeah the standard BMFA membership gives you some basic insurance. For £32 its worth looking into. One of those, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I will share my ops manual and notes on it all when i have gone through with it all and got my PFAW.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers