ESC status error

O.P

Reaction score
My bird did a critical landing in field with about 8 inches of grass. When I recovered my bird, it was physically undamaged and had landed perfectly upright. When I tried getting her up in the air again, it asked me to recalibrate compass, so after 6 tries and degaussing it, finally got the compass in 1500 range. I also did IMU calibration and tried to fly. It then gave me ESC status error, I restarted controller and aircraft several times and error continued. I checked motors, all spin freely with no debris/grass entangled in them. From reading other posts, i understand it could be weak motor (s), or bad ESC which means to replace board. How do I know if a motor is bad or if it is ESC?

I contacted dji and they want me to send it in. I havent crashed it and its only a month old. Do you think they might cover it under warranty?

I contacted dji and they want me to send it in. I havent crashed it and its only a month old. Do you think they might cover it under warranty?
Of course. What you are experiencing is the whole purpose of a warranty.

When you say critical landing, what exactly do you mean?

Also, did you put on any prop guards or adjust the mounting screws in any way? Overtightening a motor mount or using the wrong screw will get you in the same place. As will many motor failures. Did your motors play cow and try to ingest some grass?

none of the above..I'm going to ship out tomorrow to dji. I hope they warranty it. I understand the board is $459 :(

I have a similar problem but intermittent, just on the odd occasion i get exactly the same ESC warning normally after the first-second flight then changing batteries, the only thing which takes the warning away is to turn off and pull the battery and let the phantom cool for a few minutes then after putting the battery back and turning on all is well, no warnings during flight but only on the ground after the first or second flight,
No hard landings
No long grass
No prop guards
Also i notice the signal strength is not as strong as the previous firmware, ie these things are only happening since the latest FW updates.

Ideas anyone?

Last edited:
What i mean to say was battery was getting critical so I hit the rth and it auto landed in a field of short grass. It landed upright and there was absolutely zero damage to aircraft.

It is difficult to figure out any reason for ESC error from what you described. ESC error comes up when ESC is unable to limit the current to motors or for an electronic circuit fault on it. Analyze the logs to check if currents shot up very high during landing.

Thanks for your input. I shipped it out today to dji, hope they treat me nicely. I will let you know the outcome.

Hey I had the same thing. At one stage Flying wasn't even possible.
I found if I had ESC error,(screen even said contact DJI), then powered down the phantom, moved the props a1/4 turn it would be fine.
However since the latest upgrade no problem at all.
May just be me but the latest software sorted it.

Hey I had the same thing. At one stage Flying wasn't even possible.
I found if I had ESC error,(screen even said contact DJI), then powered down the phantom, moved the props a1/4 turn it would be fine.
However since the latest upgrade no problem at all.
May just be me but the latest software sorted it.
Thanks, i,l give that a go over the next days, had the feeling mine was an over heating problem but worth a try,
Strange that it flies perfectly normal but only after landing and changing the battery do i get the ESC warning and only since updating to the latest FW.

I can't get my p3p to take off its giving me the ESC status error, restart aircraft but I do and still nothing HELP

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic