Esc problem or Motor?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Ive recently just bought a Phantom 3 pro second hand. The thing is awesome and have a good few great flights in my local area. I recently decided to remove the prop guards and stupidly put the longer screw back in which on closer inspection as damaged the motor coil. From what i have read so for on this forum is has happened with other people a couple of times before.

After this had happened i stopped immediately and put the guard back on with the longer screws. When i turned the drone on next all motors fired up ok but the one I tried removing the guard from staggered a little which resulted in a 'Motor obstruction' message. I then turned the p3 OFF and had a look to see what the issue was, i spun the motor and all was ok. I then turned the p3 back on again and all worked great with no errors and even did a little internal flight for a few seconds. Just before putting the drone back into its case i though i would just double check everything again by restarting it. This time i got no motors spinning at all and a 'Esc Error Status" Message. Since that i get this every time i try to initially start the motors.

After a closer inspection a little earlier today it seems the screw as severed one of the little copper coils in the motor, yet still worked immediately after the incident. I know there is no easy well to tell what the real issue is but is the esc error likely to be due to the bad motor or that the esc may have failed completely?

What is the general scenario when i single motor fails? Do the others still start when turning on or would this cause the esc to flag a fault and stop all.

Thanks everyone, really great forum by the way!
Tommy

If a single motor spins freely when tested with a finger but is bad and won't start, the other motors will still start up normally. At least that's how it is with my P2V. However, it seems to me it's possible the fact that you have a severed copper wire inside the bad motor might cause the ESC to behave differently...

Personally, I would replace the motor since they're cheap and easy to replace. If it ends up being the ESC, you were still wise to replace the motor.

Last edited:
Hi mate, thanks for the reply. It's the P3 pro model which has the built in esc. I take the top off today to check if there is any visible damage. Everything looks fine and no signs of anything fried up or burnt. Would the esc damage be visible if it were to be that?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj