ESC failure

Reaction score
Hi,

I ordered the p3s last week and it is arriving tomorrow, i was wondering how often do motors fail on the drone and what can I do to prevent a esc failure.

if you want to prevent an ESC failure, don't let the drone tip over with props spinning and hitting the ground. The motors do not fail without giving some warning as the pitch will be a little different and you will be able to tell something is wrong. To prevent tipping over, do not stop the motors by doing a CSC after you land, rather stop them by holding the throttle all the way down until the motors stop. I always hand catch so I don't have to worry about tipping but you can see what I am talking about in this video:

Reactions: grottoli
Hi,

I ordered the p3s last week and it is arriving tomorrow, i was wondering how often do motors fail on the drone and what can I do to prevent a esc failure.

The ESC's of the P3 are short circuit protected. So don't worry.
If you have a minicrash, tipover or so and the motors or one of them won't start then shut off your P3 for a couple of seconds. Turn the power on again and everything is working fine.
Because I often fly in very cramped spaces not much higher than a few feet I have gained a lot of experience with mini crashes. My P3P is still working very fine except for the broken props off course.;)

The phantom motors are brushless motors and are not toy grade motors so they are going to last a long time.
The other two here have already told how you can prevent burning your ESC by basically making sure your motors never get obstructed. There might be a short circuit prevention but don't use that as an excuse to try anything.
But what you really want to look out for, is if you just happen to get a bad ESC unit. My standard was a victim of it. Even if you are a perfect pilot, from the day I opened my standard, not once did I crash it, not once did I mess with the motors while turned on, on my 29th flight, it dropped out of the sky like a rock and landed in a tree. It doesn't matter how well you treat your bird, there is still a chance that your ESC will fail without warning.
Don't let that scare you though, I was just one of the unlucky few to have it happen. But I would recommend for your first 30 flights or so, do not fly anywhere you could not retrieve your phantom. Do not fly it half a mile over the forest or go filming boats on the water for your first flights. Mine landed 30 feet in a tree so with a really long stick, i knocked it out and DJI repaired it under warranty.

After 6 days of owning my p3s one of the escs' shut down a motor for a second causing it to crash. Nothing has happened since...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj