Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Professional ESC Error After Prop Guard Install, HELP!

Discussion in 'Phantom 3 Help' started by mobilenewfie, Jul 9, 2015.

1. mobilenewfie

I installed prop guards and before fired up I noticed I put the long screws on one motor in the 4 holes, I removed them and have been getting ESC error ever since. I have ordered new motors and have the top off but see no visible damage so I'm wondering if I have other issues? I have never crashed and only flew my P3 8 times, any help would be greatly appreciated, and you guessed it new to drone flying.

2. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

3. bobmyers

The windings in the motor is damaged, same thing happened to me. I only replaced the damaged motor and everything was normal. You could blow an esc if you power a damaged motor. Hopfully, that didn't happen because the ESC's on the P3 are built into the main board and you wont be able to replace those.

4. YolevonALLin

Quick synopsis of A prop guard purchase. And result.

Yay my new prop guards > let's install them ->> I can safely go grash into stuff > - oh wait ~> ~>my motor is ruined = -> fix time BUT at least my props are intact.. Now I can go

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5. Mako79

dude f*ck! You have issues. Come back down from the stratosphere or the FAA may have a word with you..

YolevonALLin likes this.
  6. mobilenewfie

Thanks for the help jack ***

7. YolevonALLin

I was a tad boozer bro my fault. All in good fun.

8. mobilenewfie

No worries I was taking as a joke.. If you can't have a little fun don't come out

9. N017RW

Please... Don't Drink & Drone! ;)

AirApparent likes this.
  10. Elkbowhunter

Now thats a bumper sticker!! :)

tecciztecatl likes this.
  11. Photoeye-Ireland

Thanks for the fix, I removed my prop guards today but put the prop guard screws back in which are longer then the standard screws, tighten them too tight and go the ESC error. Only when I read the above I thought maybe they are too tight, sure enough, put the guards back on and motors are working again. Hope fully will save someone else having a mild heart attack like I just had. 3 weeks old don't want errors.

12. VenomX15301

Where did you buy the prop guards? I have a set of them from DJI sitting here, have yet to put them on. Just wondering if you bought them from some place besides DJI, if they sent you the wrong screws?

13. bobmyers

Had to cut 3mm off mine

14. Photoeye-Ireland

Just checked the box and they are actually for the Phantom 2 but they fit perfect. Screws need to be longer but when removing the guards I should have put the original shorter screws back in. I was in a hurry and that's what I get.

15. VenomX15301

When I ordered mine they were listed as P2/P3 Guards. DJI contacted me a week later and sais they would not work on the P3 and I had to wait for ones made for the P3. I read before that the P2 screws that come with the P2 guards are too long and will go up into the motor.

16. mobilenewfie

Well I just put my new motors on and same ESC error. It worked fine until I put the prop guards on and now I have no idea, any suggestions?

17. N017RW

If your confident in your replacement skills then it would seem at least one of the ESCs is indeed damaged.

It is widely accepted that these ESCs have some additional protection for stalling, etc., so you must have exceeded the limits or some other cause is to blame.

I don't think you have any options left short of DJI repair or replacing the main PCB.

18. mobilenewfie

Well shipped to DJI today, 83.00 bucks shipping from Canada. Now the long wait begins to see if they will cover repairs under warrant or claim void as I did replace 2 motors trying to diagnose. I guess in 10 weeks or so I will know.....

19. aldorosales

I same problem i remplace motor ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437370098.254630.jpg ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437370173.442672.jpg ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437370196.963595.jpg

20. bobmyers

Nice job-- good to see you didn't gamble soldering the motor wires to the board. I replaced one my self and did the same thing.