Esc error after 1.10 firmware update

Reaction score
Hello all. New to the group. I just updated my p3a last night to 1.10 to find out it bricked my drone. I have tried to calibrate the remote, the compass too, but every time I try to start the motors the esc error comes up on the app. It seems to be happening to enough people. I Never crashed it. About a year old. Hardly any use really. This is not my first phantom so I'm used to issues but this is downright nasty. Any way to get back to 1.09 firmware to see if that helps? Any other ideas?Thanks.

I had a very similar issue with mine except my drone was making a god awful beeping noise. Almost like an alarm clock after I updated firmware. Sounds like you're have a different issue if you're not hearing this alarm coming from the drone. I had to completely reinstall the phone app and format the SD card on the drone, basically starting everything over again like it just came out of the box. After I formatted the SD card and reinstalled the phone app, I was able to successfully update firmware.

Hello all. New to the group. I just updated my p3a last night to 1.10 to find out it bricked my drone. I have tried to calibrate the remote, the compass too, but every time I try to start the motors the esc error comes up on the app. It seems to be happening to enough people. I Never crashed it. About a year old. Hardly any use really. This is not my first phantom so I'm used to issues but this is downright nasty. Any way to get back to 1.09 firmware to see if that helps? Any other ideas?Thanks.
Welcome!

As you noted, this has happened to several people when they "updated" to 1.10. You might need a new main board. Sadly, DJI has stated that once at 1.10 there is no rollback. That's via normal means of course, but unofficial methods for downgrading have been emerging recently.

As part of your research, check out this thread:
ESC status error after upgrade

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
Ran into this today. DJI actually told me to rollback but as I've read it can't be done. Hoping I can get a UPS label to fix my brick as well. Any idea what this would cost out of pocket? I believe I am the 3rd owner, and the drone has very little flight time and very little charges counted on the battery. Frustrating for sure.

Probably 200-300 if you change the board yourself but I think dji may suck these claims up under warranty because they put out the update and they clearly know it's there fault. I sent mine in yesterday. Had to send it in my hard case because I have no box, dont have a reciept or warranty either. My fingers are crossed. If they don't find it I'll be rather disappointed in them. But I have faith.

Probably 200-300 if you change the board yourself but I think dji may suck these claims up under warranty because they put out the update and they clearly know it's there fault. I sent mine in yesterday. Had to send it in my hard case because I have no box, dont have a reciept or warranty either. My fingers are crossed. If they don't find it I'll be rather disappointed in them. But I have faith.

Waiting on my shipping label. Did they email it or was the UPS Driver given it?

Like you I don't have the original box but decided against using the hard case to mail it. I'm headed to buy a box, some packaging peanuts and bubble wrap. Really hope they cover this under warranty. As you probably have read as well, some are and others aren't. I guess they determine if the drone was crashed or had a rough life. Thankfully, the previous owner was gently and the drone appears to have no visual marks or scuffs on the hull/body.

Waiting on my shipping label. Did they email it or was the UPS Driver given it?

Like you I don't have the original box but decided against using the hard case to mail it. I'm headed to buy a box, some packaging peanuts and bubble wrap. Really hope they cover this under warranty. As you probably have read as well, some are and others aren't. I guess they determine if the drone was crashed or had a rough life. Thankfully, the previous owner was gently and the drone appears to have no visual marks or scuffs on the hull/body.
I went for the hard case option to avoid any reasons for them to deny me. They actually told me to ship it in the case. Mines in perfect shape. May have a nick on the landing gear bit never crashed or abused so I know they won't think I neglected it. I took it in to a ups retailer to ship it. Should be there in a week or so it seems. Good luck to you. This should such a stupid thing to have happen.

I went for the hard case option to avoid any reasons for them to deny me. They actually told me to ship it in the case. Mines in perfect shape. May have a nick on the landing gear bit never crashed or abused so I know they won't think I neglected it. I took it in to a ups retailer to ship it. Should be there in a week or so it seems. Good luck to you. This should such a stupid thing to have happen.

Gah, I may ship the hard case. Its just so much larger.

I'm confused, I did the case and now have a case number. It said if UPS could reach me they would send a shipping label to me. But you're saying you went to the UPS store to ship it.

OK so how it works is like this....
First they make up the case file, then you can view it online and track the progress. This starts the return process. Within a day or two they will have created the ups ticket and you will get an email with a printable copy of the ups forms. 7 papers in total. Take that to a ups store with your boxed up phantom and ship it away. Then pray it comes back. Just like every flight with a dji phantom. Hahah . make sure you read the email about what to ship and print and fill out the paperwork from step one. There a Url link to a repair document. Bingo Bangor bongo. That's it. I think.

Reactions: FLBoyZ06
Thanks, this makes more sense. Forums are great, except the dji one. No one can answer my questions. Thanks again. Keep us posted with how your bird makes out. I'm probably a day behind you in this ordeal. Hope we make it out safely!!

just got confirmation my bird will be fixed for free due to the firmware wrecking the ESC! NICE!!!!!! Thanks for not screwing me phantom.

Just kidding, got the invoice, mine will be covered under warranty as well. They're saying its a mother board, and all 4 motor replaced. $233 covered.

Welcome!

As you noted, this has happened to several people when they "updated" to 1.10. Sadly, DJI has stated that once at 1.10 there is no rollback. You might need a new main board.

As part of your research, check out this thread:
ESC status error after upgrade
I had to send it in and they charged me over $100 to fix their mistake
Awful service, would never recommend DJI to anyone

You can not go back

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers