Erratic Gimbal and Motor Overload

Reaction score
First off I have crashed my drone in the past... but since then, have successfully flown and used camera on at least a dozen flights. Upon startup today, the gimbal rolls, spins, twists erratically and for at least a minute attempts to position itself unsuccessfully until I shut it down. I get a gimbal overload error message and once I shut the drone down, the camera faces directly down, but also at an odd angle (see photo). There are no guards blocking movement, I've tried the calibration (it fails and gives the overload error message), white shock absorbers and pins on the gimbal main mount seem fine, ribbon is plugged in at all locations and seems okay, latest firmware from Nov 2016 is installed, and I've checked for issues with the set screws and misalignment with shafts. Everything seems fine. When turned on, the camera actually tries to rotate downward and to point toward the rear of the drone. It of course hits the back of the gimbal mount since it shouldn't be trying to rotate in that direction, but the gimbal continues to spin and crash into the back of the arm trying to calibrate on start up until I shut it off. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 403
Reactions: Richard4884
Is that a filter on the camera?
If yes, did you just start using it?
There are other threads discussing issues with certain heavier filters being too heavy, causing similar issues.
Otherwise, the flat black ribbon cable may have a nick in it. Did you inspect it closely?

Reactions: michael101
Thanks guys. Same problem with/without filter. Ribbon looks okay. Had someone competent in drone repair look at it; he couldn't determine the issue. Seems drone sensor for location may be out of whack but calibration unable to address it. Sending it to DJI.

First off I have crashed my drone in the past... but since then, have successfully flown and used camera on at least a dozen flights. Upon startup today, the gimbal rolls, spins, twists erratically and for at least a minute attempts to position itself unsuccessfully until I shut it down. I get a gimbal overload error message and once I shut the drone down, the camera faces directly down, but also at an odd angle (see photo). There are no guards blocking movement, I've tried the calibration (it fails and gives the overload error message), white shock absorbers and pins on the gimbal main mount seem fine, ribbon is plugged in at all locations and seems okay, latest firmware from Nov 2016 is installed, and I've checked for issues with the set screws and misalignment with shafts. Everything seems fine. When turned on, the camera actually tries to rotate downward and to point toward the rear of the drone. It of course hits the back of the gimbal mount since it shouldn't be trying to rotate in that direction, but the gimbal continues to spin and crash into the back of the arm trying to calibrate on start up until I shut it off. Any ideas?
I would be very interested to hear what the outcome will be.... I have had exactly the same problem every since the upgrade was done back in Nov 2016

I've gone through the DJI phone tech support and also had a drone tech-savy friend take a look. Neither could figure out the issue, so I've started a repair case with DJI and will be sending it in for repair once I get my shipping label. I'll post an update once it's resolved.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20