Erratic flying

Reaction score
Hi, my first post..learning to fly my Phantom2.

Software updated, compass calibration ok, GPS green lights slow flashing, no powercables close, no big buildings... and my "bird" is flying very erratic and after a minute its just fly away and I have to stop the motors! Bang..
Is it me or the Phantom??? I have tested many times in different locatinos... nothing works ..

http://www.photo2be.com/phantom2.htm

Best from Sweden,

Björn Bergman

What? Stop the motors! Bang? Have you tried fail safe or homelock? You need to provide a lot more info of your setup.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

Thanx alot, it just flies away about 1-3 meter above groundlevel and its not time enough to try try fail safe or homelock... before it hits a tree...or something... :(
What more info do you need abou the set up?

Björne

Photo2be.com said:
Thanx alot, it just flies away about 1-3 meter above groundlevel and its not time enough to try try fail safe or homelock... before it hits a tree...or something... :(
What more info do you need abou the set up?

Björne

Does it always head off in the same direction? If so then you need to recalibrate the remote.

After start it wobbles up and down, back and forth within 2-3meters for 30secs before it takes off... horisontally... almost...
Do you mean calibrate the remote ctrl???

Björne

Photo2be.com said:
After start it wobbles up and down, back and forth within 2-3meters for 30secs before it takes off... horisontally... almost...
Do you mean calibrate the remote ctrl???

Björne

Yes, have you ever done that?

That's either a cool head and trusting in something larger than oneself or a complete Panic shift, either way it never got to flyaway and that's a winner.

Check for any damage from previous crashes. even hard landings can cause problems, in for example a solder joint that was not good in the first place.

If this was me, I would do a FULL (I know its lengthy) reinstall from scratch by following these steps:

1. Re download and install windows drivers, Assistant, and the RC assistant.
2. Plug USB into the RC, check its communicating by flashing lights on status bar.
3. Check for any updates to the RC firmware.
4. Switch off RC and unplug USB
5. Plug in USB to phantom and run P2 Assistant
6. Power up Phantom with props off
7. Check its communicating by flashing lights on status bar
8. Carry out any updates that are required, power cycle the P2
9. Do FULL IMU recalibration - wait to finish
10. Switch off P2, unplug USB
11. IMPORTANT...NEXT STEPS
13. Re plug USB into the RC controller and run the RC Assistant
14. Switch on RC controller AND the P2
15. Do recalibration of sticks and gimbel switch in this software
16. Unplug USB and re-plug into P2 and run the P2 Assistant
17. Do stick and gimbel switch recalibration in this software as well - IMPORTANT.
18. Replace your props with the unused set that came with your P2 - just in case of damage to original ones due to crash/hard landings

Now go try a fly, doing your step by step pre flight checks of course.

If you are getting same flight characteristics then you got a problem P2 IMO.

Go to Assistant software -> Basic -> aircraft -> and make sure "Quad Rotor X" is selected.

EMCSQUAR said:
Go to Assistant software -> Basic -> aircraft -> and make sure "Quad Rotor X" is selected.
'The mixer type: Quad Rotor X' field is not 'selectable' in version 3 of the Assistant software.

EMCSQUAR said:
'The mixer type: Quad Rotor X' field is not 'selectable' in version 3 of the Assistant software. Just in case anyone thinks that it ought to be selectable. :)

Yeah you only can select that with the Naza assistant on a non Phantom Naza. Ours is locked down with regards to some of the availably options found on the regular Naza-m v2. I think that's a good thing lol

Hi Guys,

I'm the "guy who helps with the SW updates etc..." for my fellow Björne.

I have done all 18 steps that were reccomended, Everythings seems fine.

Put the P2 on ground, no obstacles, no magnetic fields. Switch on, it takes some 2minutes to get the green lights flashing normal, it seems it has problems to find GPS sattelites...?
Make a successful Compass calibration....

Start Engines, just let it sit on ground, idling. Green flashes normal....after 2 minutes still normal.

Push throttle to let it rise just 2 feet above ground and hover. As soon as the engines are given a little forces, the green flashing suddenly goes yellow flashing for 1-2 flashes (slow), then green flashing again, then yellow. During hovering, I get maybe 5 green flashes, 1-2 yellow flashes, 5 green flashes etc.....
This tells me the GPS is not OK. I have not tried to fly a real flight since the yellow flashing shows up so I don't know if it's really going to fly away.

Guess that it's time to disassemble the P2 and look for bad connections...

Any hints from the more experienced guys ???

Rgds
Fjuppe

Today we had the P2 taken apart, no signs of broken things....

Calibrated, Compass calibrated and a new test flight......

It is not stable, without touching the the sticks, after a minute or so on low level hovering, it will drift off in one direction, randomly, slowly and once it has begun the sidewalk, it will continue, you have to move the sticks to get it back. As soon as sticks are released, it will continu to move away in the same direction....

You Think it's GPS or Compass...???

Do you guys know if the GPS on P2 is the same as on P1?? or Compass ??
I have the original Phantom and I'm thinking of moving over the GPS or compass for testing ....??

Is it drifting with the wind? If yes it would idicate it might be in atti mode. My next step also would be to degauss the compass with a magnet and see if that helps.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic