Erratic Camera

Reaction score
I received my first Phantom (2 Vision Plus) the other day, and much to my chagrin my first flight was less than successful. In order to miss a tree, I put the Phantom down hard and it took a tumble.

Now, when I turn on the Phantom, the camera/gimbal starts flailing about non-stop. I found others with similar problems (as in http://youtu.be/gB_MOef3NEY) but I haven't found a solution.

My dealer has suggested upgrading the firmware, which I have done, but no success. The only time the gimbal stops flipping around is during firmware update for the gimbal. The Phantom Assistant will allow me to repeatedly install the current version firmware - V1.0.0.4 as of today - but once I reset the Phantom the flipping starts again.

I noticed a couple of posts on various forums suggest installing an old version of the firmware, then upgrading it again. However, I don't know how to get an old version of firmware.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a resolution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

A busted gimbal was my suspicion, but I was in denial mode. There are a couple of places on the internet where people were suggesting that a firmware upgrade/reset would fix the problem. My initial post was a last gasp effort that someone might have an easy solution.
Is it possible that a connection came loose somewhere?

Dave

I tried a full IMU calibration - to no avail.

I'm beginning to resign myself that the gimbal/camera is toast. I'm still waiting for my dealer- Flying Cameras - for a follow up response that I posted Wednesday. They must be busy with twits like me since phone calls only go to voice mail.

If anyone else has a suggestion, I would certainly welcome them.

Thanks.

Dave

I tried a full IMU calibration - to no avail.

I'm beginning to resign myself that the gimbal/camera is toast. I'm still waiting for my dealer- Flying Cameras - for a follow up response that I posted Wednesday. They must be busy with twits like me since phone calls only go to voice mail.

If anyone else has a suggestion, I would certainly welcome them.

Thanks.

Dave
Hi Dave,
did you ever get this problem resolved, as I too have an erratic camera after a hard landing. I cannot seem to get an answer to the problem.

A busted gimbal was my suspicion, but I was in denial mode. There are a couple of places on the internet where people were suggesting that a firmware upgrade/reset would fix the problem. My initial post was a last gasp effort that someone might have an easy solution.
Is it possible that a connection came loose somewhere?

Dave
It could be an easy fix depending how hard you crash
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Maybe the roll motor just needs re-alignment. 3 screws and finding the flat side of the D shaft parallel to the camera.
The reason for the dancing motor is that the gimbal is trying initialise by finding 0's on all 3 potentiometers. Once all re-aligned, use locktite 290.

It could be an easy fix depending how hard you crash
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Maybe the roll motor just needs re-alignment. 3 screws and finding the flat side of the D shaft parallel to the camera.
The reason for the dancing motor is that the gimbal is trying initialise by finding 0's on all 3 potentiometers. Once all re-aligned, use locktite 290.
My problem was, I started the Phanton automatically by pressing the 'GO' button, thinking it would rise to the 20m 'return to home' height I have set, before heading off to the first waypoint. As this was the first time I used that button, usually I take off manually, get to a safe height then press it to go to the first waypoint. I suppose I should have done it in an open field first. Lesson learned though.

But thanks very much for your reply, that makes sense now. That is exactly what my motor is doing. I travel home tonight and I shall be realigning it ASAP. I am over the moon now, I will be back flying in no time, Thanks again Mako.

Well after re-aligning the D shaft and putting the covers back on, I started it up.... and .... the camera goes berserk again, i had such high hopes for this fix, it has deflated me again. Can anyone help me on this issue.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic