Erratic Behavior

Reaction score
I had something strange happen today. After not flying for a week I took my phantom out for a simple flight that I never ended up taking. When I took off, it started leaning slightly to one side, like it was maybe fighting wind. There was a 9mph wind to be clearn.

Then it starting drifting a bit. First to the right, then towards me, about 4 feet in either direction.

I was about 5 feet off the ground, and decided to land it. Then I took off to 5 feet again and got the same result.

I was somewhat near some power lines...about 150 feet away.

Any ideas? I didn't take it for a flight because I figured I may need to calibrate it or something. Maybe I'm just to jumpy, but I've always felt the p3 to be pretty rock solid in one place.

Thanks for any input!

How many sats did you have? Was GO indicating you had P-gps? If you were in p-opti perhaps you were just high enough for it not to have been working 100%....

Thanks for mentioning that. Got it. However, it wouldn't lean because it would just sort of get blown with the wind, correct?

It should not lean at hover unless ther is a pretty brisk wind, IMU is off, or you have non OEM DJI props on it.

I had something strange happen today. After not flying for a week I took my phantom out for a simple flight that I never ended up taking. When I took off, it started leaning slightly to one side, like it was maybe fighting wind. There was a 9mph wind to be clearn.

Then it starting drifting a bit. First to the right, then towards me, about 4 feet in either direction.

I was about 5 feet off the ground, and decided to land it. Then I took off to 5 feet again and got the same result.

I was somewhat near some power lines...about 150 feet away.

Any ideas? I didn't take it for a flight because I figured I may need to calibrate it or something. Maybe I'm just to jumpy, but I've always felt the p3 to be pretty rock solid in one place.

Thanks for any input!
I doubt if power lines can affect it unless they are Ultra High voltage lines but such power lines don't pass through city.

Try at higher heights like 50' and see its behavior. Ensure it has Home point established before u fly.

I'm beginning to think the problems with this drone and this company are related to every other piece of merchandise they produce. MADE IN CHINA. It's overwhelming and without a doubt qualifies for the duck theory. If it Walks like a duck, quacks like .... Ya you get the picture. No American or European company would survive pulling this kinda **** on their customers. I stopped buying anything produced from these communists three years ago until I broke my own rule and got the pro. Nothing but disingenuous updates, conflicting narratives and poorly tested products. Don't get me wrong, as I understand user error also is a culprit but the law of diminishing returns on that was passed a while back. My next drone will be American or Israeli. People that care about quality and their reputation.

I'm beginning to think the problems with this drone and this company are related to every other piece of merchandise they produce. MADE IN CHINA. It's overwhelming and without a doubt qualifies for the duck theory. If it Walks like a duck, quacks like .... Ya you get the picture. No American or European company would survive pulling this kinda **** on their customers. I stopped buying anything produced from these communists three years ago until I broke my own rule and got the pro. Nothing but disingenuous updates, conflicting narratives and poorly tested products. Don't get me wrong, as I understand user error also is a culprit but the law of diminishing returns on that was passed a while back. My next drone will be American or Israeli. People that care about quality and their reputation.
Or he could try calibrating it.
Most of us here find them almost 100% reliable.
Until it fails :)

I should tell you about my GoPro saga.
But it was probably made in China too.

I stopped buying anything produced from these communists three years ago until I broke my own rule and got the pro. .
funnysmiley92.gif

The chinese are very capable of producing good quality reliable products, apple isnt the only big name. They produce a lot of rubbish also but at such a cheap price its no suprise its no good. I do find it amuzing when i hear the occasional claim DJI uses no western/foreign technology and its all in house. I purchase locally made when i can. Dont always get that choice.

This happens often when you took off from a surface with metal or something similar inside...

I do have a short video of what I am talking about. Maybe it's nothing, I'm pretty new to this, so all of your responses are greatly appreciated!

Could these be a problem?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Power Lines.jpg
    Power Lines.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 279
You do often see a tendency to circle round the spot in the first minute or two - it's almost as if it is somehow learning or checking bearings.
Usually if you go up higher it will settle down and when you come back down it is still much more stable even at low altitude.
Note when you are really close to the ground the phantom's own downdraught can cause similar wandering, though usually lower than in your example.

Thanks for the reply. That's great to know! That was my first tablet capture, so I have no idea if it was acting like that before!

Thanks again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20