Entry Level GoPro Hero 2 & 3 Gimbal

Reaction score
Hey Pilots!

This is my first post on the forum as I have recently got my very own Phantom!

I am really enjoying flying the Phantom and have added my GoPro Hero 2 to film my flights.
Ultimately, I want to make sports videos for my school and also videos for other things such as landscapes.
I want to film in 1080p for the Medium Field Of View on the GoPro to get rid of the fisheye.
I noticed after my first flight with 1080p that the video has "Jello" and shakiness. I obviously can't
use that footage to make good videos. I am thinking about getting a Gimbal that can hold a GoPro Hero 2
or a GoPro Hero 3, depending on if I get the Hero 3 in the future. Also, I would like the Gimbal to be
Plug and Play because I don't feel comfortable with soldering. I've seen some that look fantastic and
can sport either camera and are Plug and Play but are not in my price point for now.

Can anyone suggest a great Entry Level Gimbal that would suit my needs?
Also, here is one I found online: http://xproheli.com/products/xproheli-xpg-brushless-gimbal
Is anybody familiar with it?

Thanks!

Any gimbal other than the DJI H3-2D will require soldering. None are plug and play.
Saying that, even the H3-2D requires taking the Phantom apart etc.

If you truly want plug and play 1080p video, get yourself a Phantom Vision.

Your jello will be cause by unbalanced props. Try balancing them and you should be good.

rilot said:
Any gimbal other than the DJI H3-2D will require soldering. None are plug and play.

Your jello will be cause by unbalanced props. Try balancing them and you should be good.

I guess what I meant to say by "Plug and Play" is that you don't need to solder the gimbal onto the board and rather just attach the gimbal to the phantom with its mount, attach the battery, and it's ready to fly.

Also, my Phantom uses the self-tightening props which I feel much more comfortable to use over the one's with the prop nut, so I don't know how I can balance them.

arios96 said:
rilot said:

I guess what I meant to say by "Plug and Play" is that you don't need to solder the gimbal onto the board and rather just attach the gimbal to the phantom with its mount, attach the battery, and it's ready to fly.

Also, my Phantom uses the self-tightening props which I feel much more comfortable to use over the one's with the prop nut, so I don't know how I can balance them.

The Gimbals aren't hard to install. Just pay attention to what you're doing. I managed to fry the board on mine by doing too many things at once, :oops: Gotta find a new board now.

I put a carbon fiber anti jello mount on in the meantime which works OK. Shoot in 60fps and use an ND filter for best results.

This is the best method I've found to balance self tightening props

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4425&p=31274&hilit=balance+self+tightening+prop#p31274

Re: Entry Level GoPro Hero 2 & 3 Gimbal

A tarot gimbal can be connected to the aux cable coming out of the leg (if its there?) and doesn't require soldering, but may need to be connect to a computer to tune and set up how you want it. All the cables and adapters usually come with it (unless you buy a mount or PCB only one).

The only plug and play gimbals (for a phantom) are servo based ones, I ran with one of them for a while, I've only just swapped over to the tarot myself, tho I did solder the tarot power cable (I use my aux for my video Tx). A servo gimbal will also handle a gopro hero 2 better the a brushless gimbal "balanced" for a hero3

Driffill said:
A tarot gimbal can be connected to the aux cable coming out of the leg (if its there?) and doesn't require soldering, but may need to be connect to a computer to tune and set up how you want it. All the cables and adapters usually come with it (unless you buy a mount or PCB only one).

The only plug and play gimbals (for a phantom) are servo based ones, I ran with one of them for a while, I've only just swapped over to the tarot myself, tho I did solder the tarot power cable (I use my aux for my video Tx). A servo gimbal will also handle a gopro hero 2 better the a brushless gimbal "balanced" for a hero3

Thanks for your reply! I did look into the Tarot gimbal but it seems to be made just for the Go Pro Hero 3: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... 4godTFYAYw

Have any of you heard of the XPG Gimbal: http://xproheli.com/products/xproheli-x ... ess-gimbal
This gimbal works with all present Go Pros and is even detachable to be used as a handheld gimbal. It is pretty expensive though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj