Enough to make a grown man cry... Broken Gimbal P3Pro

Reactions: Toddzilla
This is a quick fix.. I have not tried it but others are reporting some good success, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2466016

Hi blade strike,

Thanks for sharing. I read about that as a few others had also shared it with me. Unfortunately it won't work for me because the ribbon is also broken. I can't wait to fly again!

*edit* I actually didn't notice that I could replace the ribbon for $50. Maybe I will have to consider this kit as well.

Reactions: PhillyAnt
No problem, just trying to help to get you back in the air..:)

Now I need to put my DJI hat back on...:rolleyes:

Reactions: PhillyAnt
I don't think they will replace anything on mine because of it being user error. It was totally my fault that I was trying to be tricky and ended up hitting a branch. It would be nice to have that coverage, but I think I'm going to have to eat this one.
Mine was user error also... hit a tree. Still the cost wasn't as bad as I expected. The entire invoice was $192

I was at the new repair facility last week. I was going over part prices with the repair manager and it shocked me cheap some repairs were, considering how bad the damage was.

Yeah, I am really disappointed. I planned a trip to the mountains tomorrow and was going to use my Phantom 3 Professional to capture some awesome video. I took her out today to make sure everything was set and running well. It was a beautiful day and everything was running fine. I've been practicing flying specifically from viewing the screen and my skill has been getting better and better, as well as my confidence. And then I got sloppy...

I was flying my bird around a track and mis-judged my speed going into a turn. It went wide and hit a tree branch at about 15 feet high. It fell to the ground and my stomach sunk. I made the long walk of shame over to my phantom and saw that the gimbal had cracked off. Everything else was fine. I put the drone on the ground and restarted her and she flew perfectly. I just have no camera anymore. I've included some pics of the damage.

So now what do I do? My whole day of plans for tomorrow is screwed. I'm probably going to end up buying another Phantom until I can figure out what to do with this one. Can I fix this? Can I replace the gimbal? I read that this is a very popular problem for those who have crashed their phantoms. It seems as though the gimbal breaks at the same spot.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to help out.

View attachment 25811 View attachment 25812 View attachment 25813
Hi there. I'm new to this forum.
My name is Garrie and I'm from Singapore. I bought a phantom 3 professional 2 days ago and I love it. I even made a full length feature short film on my first day of flight.

Today I was out with my buddies to let them have a feel of the drone, though I was nervous about their flying, nothing happen. When I took over though, something "amazing" happened.

They challenged me to fly through some narrow gaps in my local park. I did it and flew the phantom back to me slowly. It was hovering about 3-5 feet off the ground as it approached us. I decided to use some flair and push the drone skywards at maximum speed. Funnily though, I somehow pushed the throttled down instead!

It hit the grass, the blades dug into the ground and the drone flipped.

I ended up with the exact problem, the gimbal broke off at that common area. However my ribbon is all intact and still attached.

Motors are still working and I can fly. However I can't seem to see any image from the camera. System status shows gimbal gyro error and needs me to send to DJI technician.

My question is, is the camera off because the gimbal gyro has a problem?
For example, drone start up->gimbal check->camera turn on
I really need to know because at this point I have no idea if the camera is gone.

My dealer says the bracket might be available next week so I'm thinking of just replacing it and then recalibration the imu and gimbal. And hopefully the camera turns on.

Sucks that I crashed it only 2 days after I bought it. I don't know how to tell my wife!

Anyway, here's a link to my video that I created on my very first day with the drone:

See my beautiful Singapore!

By the way this is how the broken gimbal bracket looks.
image.jpg
image.jpg

In the 2nd picture I used a thin strip of masking tape to hold the parts together to see if the gimbal startup calibration would work and turn the camera on.

However it did not even move one bit.

First off, man does that suck! I had to chuckle a bit when you said, "Walk of shame to the Phantom" because I've been there before with other R/C aircraft and know the feeling well.

With the cracks and missing pieces of plastic in the camera body and the gimbal, it would lead me to think DJI would want to replace both. I see a nick right at the edge of the casing near where the lens would be. Is the lens itself cracked or damaged as well?

Since you're going to order a new one and have two, you can use one to fly as your trainer and spare parts. Also, can't the P3 be retrofitted with a GoPro? Then you would have two different birds with varying capabilities although from what I've read, the GoPro equipped ones don't have all the functionality.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Garry, come and join us at Universal Drone Singapore. Search our Group on Facebook. We can help you to fix your gimbal (it is repairable) and give you some tips about flying in Singapore (I see you flew in Chinese Garden that is not really allowed, but some of us are flying there from time to time). Anyway, we can share advices and we also have our FlyMeet.

Garry, come and join us at Universal Drone Singapore. Search our Group on Facebook. We can help you to fix your gimbal (it is repairable) and give you some tips about flying in Singapore (I see you flew in Chinese Garden that is not really allowed, but some of us are flying there from time to time). Anyway, we can share advices and we also have our FlyMeet.
Ok thanks. Request sent

Hey guys James from Korea here. Was out on a company picnic today and my boss told me to bring along the P3A. I did it was a great picnic and everyone loved the drone. Even got to go home early! So I think to myself I have two batteries left, lets go flying. Well I did and it was great fun. Blue sky light wind and the sun out so not to chilly. 38% battery and i am heading back in to pack it up. Whats this? A suspension bridge... Oh it would be so cool to fly down the middle. Wait whats this the cables are crossed at odd angles? How did I not see that... oh hello strong wind. (possibly a bird involved couldn't see from the distance) and..... NO SIGNAL. So as i'm in an all out sprint to my drone in a suit and tie and people are wondering what the hell is wrong with me i have visions of it floating down the river... well i make it to the bridge and there it is on the ground no broken legs no broken arms but two props are busted. No biggie I have plenty. Get a bit closer and oooo that camera probably should be attached... snapped off just like everyone elses. Wait where is the battery? I look around. I kid you not SO lucky the battery is on the outside of the guard rail resting on a spot light that lights up the bridge. (climbing over to get it without looking like a jumper was super fun) Another couple centimeters and it would of gone into the river. I had a great day of flying and overall it was fun but man this was a "why... why did you not just fly back you were SO close" kind of moment. In my head I am thinking this thing could be totaled but now seeing here and a few other places that a complete replacement is not always needed just parts to the gimbal. I the body has some scuff marks but and it seems that the body and a bit of a gap where the top and bottom meet like you could snap it back in to place but rather than breaking it more I left it alone. The thing I am worried about is firen the thing back up I was not able to get connected. Possibly some wires came loose? It was only a 2-3 meters off the ground. Took it to the drone shop where I got it (they do small repairs) but they told me that for this that I should do it under warranty and send it to the service center in Seoul. No idea how much at this point but seeing the parts on DJI Korea site I am amazed how cheap this thing is to buy parts for it. I mean I have seen drone parts for a V303 that cost more than the DJI equivalent. I was a bit to pissed at the time to take photos and just wanted to get to the drone store before they closed. Anyway thought I should chime in... oh and yes here is the video up until the last moment where it cut the feed.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik