Emergency descent on a P3A

Full Left stick down, and a lateral move away from the 'hazard' if possible.

Thanks. A full left stick down stops the motors. Surely that's an impact with something hard which would not be too good.
No, it doesn't. Not unless VPS detects you are at 0ft above yourself. You have to be on flat ground Only CSC stops the motors.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Dig is correct. Holding the left stick down will stop the motors after the aircraft senses that the bird has stopped moving for 3 seconds (I.e. It's on the ground and can't go any lower. While in the air, the bird will continue to scene until the above condition is met. Only csc will immediately stop the motors regardless of her the bird is. In either case, moving the left stick back up will not restart the motors, have to do the 'down and in' with both sticks to restart.

I think the answer depends on some additional details, what's the emergency!?
  • Low battery warning?
  • Phantom is flying out of control because of some guidance system problem?
  • Physical damage happened in flight?
I think in almost all cases, providing your clear between the Phantom and the ground, it's left stick down and just land.
If you cannot just come straight down (over water for example), attempt to get over a place where you can come straight down.

Or maybe "Return to home" would be sufficient, it really depends.

Last edited:
Sorry about the spell checker in the previous post. Should say 'bird will continue to descend.....'

Sorry to disagree, but I have just tried it. If I hold the left stick down the motors stop and if I push the stick up the motors do not start again.
Left stick down is the standard method of descending and will not stop the motors until the IMU detects that the Phantom has landed (no descent and stable with left stick down for 3 seconds)

Reactions: Pharm and deltamike
Dig is correct. Holding the left stick down will stop the motors after the aircraft senses that the bird has stopped moving for 3 seconds (I.e. It's on the ground and can't go any lower. While in the air, the bird will continue to scene until the above condition is met. Only csc will immediately stop the motors regardless of her the bird is. In either case, moving the left stick back up will not restart the motors, have to do the 'down and in' with both sticks to restart.

I just want to clarify - So if I am airborne a left full down will slow or stop motors and then pushing it up will restart the motors. Is this correct?

I don't understand the word scene in the general context.

Last edited:
I think the answer depends on some additional details, what's the emergency!?
  • Low battery warning?
  • Phantom is flying out of control because of some guidance system problem?
  • Physical damage happened in flight?
I think in almost all case, providing your clear between the Phantom and the ground, it's left stick down and just land.
If you cannot just come straight down (over water for example), attempt to get over a place where you can come straight down.

Or maybe "Return to home" would be sufficient, it really depends.

I was thinking in the worst case scenario. Occasionally we get the odd glider or RAF heli flying nearby at about 200 feet.

I just want to clarify - So if I am airborne a left full down will slow or stop motors and then pushing it up will restart the motors. Is this correct? I don't understand the word scene in the general context.

If you are airborne, holding down will not stop your motors. That is, until it lands on the ground. Once you hit the ground, if you hold down for 3 seconds, it will kill the motors. So as an example, if you are at 300 feet elevation and hold down for 10 seconds, the motors will continue to run, until you hit the ground. Holding down while in flight is completely safe. This is how i descend, and never had an issue. The only way to stop the motors while airborne is to CSC, or run out of battery. And, holding up (once motors are dead), will not restart them. You must use auto-take off, or use the CSC command to restart.

Reactions: Pharm
he just doesn't get it

Reactions: BigAl07
Sheesh .. to answer the original OP question .. there is NO SUCH THING AS AN EMERGENCY DESCENT THAT WONT WRECK YOUR QUAD .. unless you allow your brain to make a massive fart and execute a CSC ... guaranteed to cost you in your native currency ...

If there was such a thing as an emergency descent (or if holding the left stick down for 3 seconds actually DID cut your motors while airborne) .. DJI would be deluged with law suits, warranty claims and most likely way out of business.

This is the only way to stop the motors while your Phantom is in the air:

P3-CSC.jpg

You can try it out in the DJI GO flight simulator if you want to see how it works.

Reactions: Pharm and Digdat0
Thanks. A full left stick down stops the motors. Surely that's an impact with something hard which would not be too good.
Yes it does IF the bird has landed. Whether landing on the ground or hand-catching, that's the standard way to shut down the motors AFTER landing.

Sorry to disagree, but I have just tried it. If I hold the left stick down the motors stop and if I push the stick up the motors do not start again.
Yes, but your bird was already on the ground, wasn't it? There's no need to test the theory when the bird's on the ground. It's the way most pilots shut down after landing so we already know it shuts down then.

Common procedure: CSC to start motors, left stick down to shut off after landing.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20