Emergency cut-off my arse!

Reaction score
So I crashed into a tree just now (propeller protectors helped) and it flipped over.
But to no avail, I couldn't for the life of me I couldn't shut it off!
And the motors started smoking and smelling real bad. But I managed to pull the battery out before it caught fire. Lol
Did let it cool off for a few and it still flies fine.

But what the heck!!??

Just venting.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Some of us have discovered, when the drone is turned over, CSC is inactive. Pulling the battery out with care, is frequently the only recourse. Sorry to hear about your incident. Glad it all seems in good running order, still. And no physical injuries to you, the pilot. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Some of us have discovered, when the drone is turned over, CSC is inactive. Pulling the the battery out with care, is frequently the only recourse. Sorry to hear about your indecent. Glad it all seems in good running order, still.

RedHotPoker

Thanks bud.

These are wonderfully innovative machines, but still have their irritating foibles... Ha

RedHotPoker

Ya, it appears as though DJI firmware doesn't shut down the motors until they speed up first! You can try it yourself by getting someone to hold down your bird and do a CSC.

I had a tip over and righted the bird immediately. One prop was still turning very slowly when righted. So I gave it a spin by hand, it sped up and then shutdown. I was like wth ??

Ya, it appears as though DJI firmware doesn't shut down the motors until they speed up first! You can try it yourself by getting someone to hold down your bird and do a CSC.

I had a tip over and righted the bird immediately. One prop was still turning very slowly when righted. So I gave it a spin by hand, it sped up and then shutdown. I was like wth ??

Last thing I want is my bird to just drop out of the sky cause of a motor failure. [emoji22]

Last thing I want is my bird to just drop out of the sky cause of a motor failure. [emoji22]

Have a look a the windings of each motor. If they are still nice and copper looking, you should be ok.
On the other hand if they are turning black then you could be headed for a problem.

I've tipped mine a few times and all the motor winding's are still nice, and still look like fresh copper.

Last edited:
Well just two of them. Burnt my finger touching one

CRAP!
I hate to say it but those motors are damaged and should be replaced :(
I know some guys are still flying with damaged motors, but it's not something I would be comfortable with.
It's a inexpensive repair especially if u can do it yourself.

Some of us have discovered, when the drone is turned over, CSC is inactive. Pulling the the battery out with care, is frequently the only recourse. Sorry to hear about your incident. Glad it all seems in good running order, still. And no physical injuries to you, the pilot. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Well this can be easily tested if not confirmed yet...
turn the AC on with no props, start the motors, flip it upside down and see you can CSC to power off.

Some of us have discovered, when the drone is turned over, CSC is inactive. Pulling the the battery out with care, is frequently the only recourse. Sorry to hear about your incident. Glad it all seems in good running order, still. And no physical injuries to you, the pilot. ;-)

RedHotPoker
Yes, @RedHotPoker is correct. There have been several reports of CSC failing to stop the squealing motor in a flip over situation.
I first started to notice the reports were increasing back in the March / April timeframe and commented on it then.
Since then, it seems to be a very routine issue during a flip over.

Reactions: JoBe
Oslo just for information sake. I started out flying my P3P with the latest firmware and noticed this issue right off the bat.

Yes!!!

I think DJI has screwed up big time with CSC as it relates to implemtation when the bird is on the ground!

The proof is in the motors that burned. The CSC is giving a quick command to the rear and left motors because we move the stick that way to implement.
So all the poor bird is trying to do is briefly speed up the motors as commanded but it can't because they are on the ground.

So the program can't get to the next line of code, that actually shuts them down. So they just sit there burning up until us humans intervene.
Obviously a hypothesis, but I've tipped my bird enough to see what actually happens and it doesn't shut down the stalled motor(s). At least not right way like one would expect.

Last edited:
I think DJI has screwed up big time with CSC as it relates to implemtation when the bird is on the ground!

The proof is in the motors that burned. The CSC is giving a quick command to the rear and left motors because we move the stick that way to implement.
So all the poor bird is trying to do is briefly speed up the motors as commanded but it can't because they are on the ground.
So the program can't get to the next line of code, that actually shuts them down. So they just sit there burning up until us humans intervene.
Obviously a hypothesis, but I've tipped my bird enough to see what actually happens and it doesn't shut down the stalled motor(s). At least not right way like one would expect.

Do you think it's a warranty issue?

Do you think it's a warranty issue?

I think it is a warranty and SAFETY issue.

However it seems from reports on the forums that DJI doesn't think it is their problem! They will likely tell you its your fault because you didn't implement the CSC properly, even though you did everything correctly.

I think it is a warranty and SAFETY issue.

However it seems from reports on the forums that DJI doesn't think it is their problem! They will likely tell you its your fault because you didn't implement the CSC properly, even though you did everything correctly.

Even if they did accept it had a warranty claim, god only knows I'm not sending them my bird!! Lol
I'll buy my own parts thanks!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20