Elephant in the room question....

Reaction score
....this is mostly for Canadian users but US users could share as well their thoughts.
What percentage of commercial users are actually getting a SFOC(special flight operations certificate) for each 'job' ? With the trouble I'm hearing about attaining one I'm guessing it might be high? There must be a lot of 'cash' work going on out there.

I'd be interested in this question as well. Although I strictly fly for fun, not for profit, should the opportunity arise, just wondering how others are doing it in Canada. Also is there a crack down here like in the states with the FAA.

Sounds like the suggestion was....to charge only for editing video. :cool: ;)

I haven't heard of a total crackdown... yet... but you know it's coming!

Anyway the short of it is, any flight that has any kind of commercial benefit requires a SFOC. The example of a realtor that doesn't pay you for your work is still a no-no as they are still utilizing the flight for a commercial purpose (promoting their property).

I have an SFOC for all my work - paid or not. My contact at Transport Canada used the question "Is it for work?" to help make it clear. It doesn't matter if you get paid or not - if the video is even remotely associated with a company or work in any way, it requires an SFOC.

There are also rules for hobbyist flights in Canada, as well.

Here is the newest information published last week by Transport Canada:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/s ... v-2265.htm

EdmontonPhotog said:
I have an SFOC for all my work - paid or not. My contact at Transport Canada used the question "Is it for work?" to help make it clear. It doesn't matter if you get paid or not - if the video is even remotely associated with a company or work in any way, it requires an SFOC.

Yep exactly. I know there are some people that will do those "free" jobs, but the reality is that you still require a SFOC.

ShotBy.CA said:
I know there are some people that will do those "free" jobs, but the reality is that you still require a SFOC.
I don't know about Canadian law, but the FAA considers a flight commercial when anyone profits from the flight. Even tangentially. I am pretty certain that the Canadian version is the same. So, "the flight was free, I just charge for editing" won't fly with the FAA. Neither will "I fly for free, but I sell a DVD of my work".

SteveMann said:
I don't know about Canadian law, but the FAA considers a flight commercial when anyone profits from the flight. Even tangentially. I am pretty certain that the Canadian version is the same. So, "the flight was free, I just charge for editing" won't fly with the FAA. Neither will "I fly for free, but I sell a DVD of my work".

Yeah I interpret it to be the same up here in Canada.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers