ElectroMagnetic Interference - EVERYWHERE!?

Reaction score
Hi

Im on my second Phantom 3 Standard. I gave the first one back to the shop, as there were so many error messages going off, it was unusable, 'Cold Battery,' 'RC Signal Lost,' 'Electromagentic Interference,' etc, etc.

I've got a new Phantom 3 Standard, and it's also giving 'Strong Electromagnetic Interference' warnings everywhere (just like the first one.)

Today, I was out in the 'middle of nowhere.' There were only trees and small lakes around me. The closest city was 30 miles away. Yet the 'electromagnetic interference' warning came on repeatedly. I've just started ignoring it. I mean trees and lakes, don't create electromagnetic interference, and I live nowhere near Chernobyl!

Any ideas, what's going on?

Last edited:
I just had the iPad Mini with me, with Bluetooth and cellphone connection turned off. You probably won't even get a cellphone connection in that area. Could the electronics of the iPad Mini be causing the problem? Once I took off, the error disappeared.

i dont know for sure if that type of interference affects drones but thought id throw it out there.

Hi

Im on my second Phantom 3 Standard. I gave the 1st one back to the shop, as there were so many error messages going off, it was unusable, 'Cold Battery,' 'RC Signal Lost,' 'Electromagentic Interference,' etc, etc.

I've got a new Phantom 3 Standard, and it's also giving 'Strong Electromagnetic Interference' warnings everywhere (just like the first one.)

Today, I was out in the 'middle of nowhere.' There were only trees and small lakes around me. The closest city was 30 miles away. Yet the 'electromagnetic interference' warning came on repeatedly. I've just started ignoring it. I mean trees and lakes, don't create electromagnetic interference, and I live nowhere near Chernobyl!

Sounds like to much iron in your diet,,,not sure if it clears on takeoff ,strange,,but don't ignore warnings to much ,,could cause a crash,,unsure why both aircraft do this..:eek:.be sure to turn off extra devices with u :)

Reactions: dronezone1010
Sounds like to much iron in your diet,,,not sure if it clears on takeoff ,strange,,but don't ignore warnings to much ,,could cause a crash,,unsure why both aircraft do this..:eek:.be sure to turn off extra devices with u :)
The world is one big magnetic ball,,interference is everywhere, radio waves,,solar flares from sun,,underground cables etc,,only time I had mag warning was flying around high voltage PowerLines,,for some reason some drones get affected bad and some are sweet ,,take care happy flyin

The world is one big magnetic ball,,interference is everywhere, radio waves,,solar flares from sun,,underground cables etc,,only time I had mag warning was flying around high voltage PowerLines,,for some reason some drones get affected bad and some are sweet ,,take care happy flyin

It's a bid odd you only get the warning only near power lines, and I get it most places I go. Where I was today, was as rural as it could get. It's also weird this is my 2nd Phantom with same 'issue.'

Hi

Im on my second Phantom 3 Standard. I gave the first one back to the shop, as there were so many error messages going off, it was unusable, 'Cold Battery,' 'RC Signal Lost,' 'Electromagentic Interference,' etc, etc.

YOU are a HUMAN, right?

While I'd doubt that 2 Phantoms would have the same problem, it is possible.
No one asked for your location, and I surely can't say that it matters, but is there a chance that your area has an abnormally high content of iron in the ground?

It's a bid odd you only get the warning only near power lines, and I get it most places I go. Where I was today, was as rural as it could get. It's also weird this is my 2nd Phantom
It's a bid odd you only get the warning only near power lines, and I get it most places I go. Where I was today, was as rural as it could get. It's also weird this is my 2nd Phantom with same 'issue.'
Yeh weird and annoying ,,rural flying normally OK depending what buried in the ground,might be the odd cable here and there but you seem to get it most places your flying which not normal,,I go have a read up see what I can find on subject,,it's not a compass error cause it 2nd drone,,thinking now

Could possibly be something you are wearing if the problem disappears as the drone goes away from you. I have a metal bracelet with rare earth magnets attached and if I put that to close to my drone I get a compass error warning. Smart watch possibly?

Could possibly be something you are wearing if the problem disappears as the drone goes away from you. I have a metal bracelet with rare earth magnets attached and if I put that to close to my drone I get a compass error warning. Smart watch possibly?
I don't have any other gadget type things other than the iPad Mini. Thanks for the idea though. :)

While I'd doubt that 2 Phantoms would have the same problem, it is possible.
No one asked for your location, and I surely can't say that it matters, but is there a chance that your area has an abnormally high content of iron in the ground?
I am in Scotland, and have looked at a geological map of the area. It's hard to pinpoint exactly where I was, but yes high iron content is possible. Maybe something to keep an eye on. As I mentioned earlier, once the drone took off, the warnings disappeared. This could suggest it was something in the ground.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Never understood why some people quote something someone says but doesn't say anything[emoji848]

Was out tonight with my 2nd Phantom (first one returned to shop.) I was in a country park, almost half mile from nearest building, saw phone towers about half a mile away.

Once again, started getting the 'electromagentic interference warnings.' Sometimes the warnings came on at ground level. I moved location to another field, then the warnings came on as I neared 200 feet (repeatedly at same height.) I also got a 'weak RC signal warning' once around 200 feet.

I have to admit it's terribly disappointing, I'm scared to use the thing. You have to remember this is my 2nd Phantom in 4 weeks. Surely, the same issue can't affect both my first and second Phantom if it is a physical fault?

I am in the UK. Is anyone else experiencing this in the UK? The fact the warning came on repeatedly as I neared 200 feet suggested to me, it may have been some form of radio signal (not necessarily phone signals)?

I am really confused as to whether this a physical fault, or environmental issue. It doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
Keys? I had Electricial issues until I started leaving my car keys in the case. See if that works for you.
Hi Michael

Thanks for the idea, but would car keys emanate a signal that could reach the drone at 200 feet?

I repeatedly did a test today were I ascended to 200 feet in the same location, and everytime I reached that height the 'electromagentic warning' came on.

The above made me think of radio waves, but of course this could be a 'red herring.'

Hi Michael

Thanks for the idea, but would car keys emanate a signal that could reach the drone at 200 feet?

I repeatedly did a test today were I ascended to 200 feet in the same location, and everytime I reached that height the 'electromagentic warning' came on.

The above made me think of radio waves, but of course this could be a 'red herring.'

Electromagnetic interference is not the same as magnetic interference. It has nothing to do with a static magnetic field. In relation to a Phantom, EM interference refers to radio interference. You said that you had the iPad BT and cellular radios turned off. What about wifi?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic