Editing

Reaction score
Hi folks. About to get either the advanced or pro
Will my iPad 2 or laptop i5 windows 10 be able to do basic editing in 4k.
Or will it cook the hard drives. If it will work and looks sluggish or jumpy, when I transfer the finished project to stick or disc , will it be viewable on a bigger computer or dvd player

If you're doing 4k editing then you're going to have a very difficult time doing it on either of those devices. It's going to be next to impossible to do on the iPad, but for your laptop if the program you are using allows you to render using your graphics card(most do)and you have a decent one in the laptop you might be okay but for the most part you're going to want an i7 for 4k editing.

Reactions: SSTTEEVVEE
We’ll break things down into two categories: offline editing — and limited online work — and online editing, meaning a good entry level for multiple 4K streams, VFX and color grading at or near real-time. These specs are good for both PC and Mac since there isn’t much difference in the hardware.

CPU: Processor

Offline Editing: Intel Core i7 2.3GHz four-core

Online Editing: Dual Intel Xeon 2GHz six-core

Now that most editing software supports GPU rendering, CPU power is less important than it was in the past. Note: AMD processors are not listed because of the lack of support for PCIe 3.0 in most AMD motherboards, which hinders the performance of the latest GPUs. AMD processors can still be used, but should be paired with a more powerful GPU.

GPU: Video Card

Offline Editing: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Online Editing: Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760M

Always check the compatibility of your editing software with your video card to ensure that GPU rendering and multiple GPUs are supported. A comparable, compatible AMD or NVIDIA GPU can be used. The GeForce cards listed above are a baseline. While many GPUs have greater video rendering power than system CPUs and RAM, remember GPUs need enough power to drive your system display monitors in addition to rendering video.
When monitoring in 4K, you can improve system performance by taking some of the workload off your GPU using a RED ROCKET card, Blackmagic Design’s DeckLink 4K Extreme or Matrox's Mojito 4K. It's important to note that with the developments of REDCINE-X PRO, you can now use GPU rendering instead of needing a Red Rocket card for accelerated transcoding of R3D footage.

RAM – Memory

Offline Editing: 8GB RAM

Online Editing: 32GB RAM

RAM is relatively cheap so don't skimp here. Remember, when you're running RAM intensive programs like Adobe’s Photoshop or After Effects concurrently with your editing software, your RAM needs may increase.

Storage at least a 500 gig HD. Is best at minimum

It doesn't sound like you need anything more than a P3A for your needs. Four K is a load for most computers. Start with your existing computer first. A lot depends on the amount of memory you have in your Windows 10 PC and the graphics card. Eight Gigabytes of memory would be the least I would recommend if you keep it simple in the program you use for your editing. Upgrade only if you need to for your needs.

lol @ ipad, its barely enough for the web, its not editing videos.

but your laptop on the other hand, well probably not 4k videos but don't sweat , where do you have a 4k display ?? its not mainstream enough yet so you can get away with 1440 or 1080/60fps (my favorite for moving video)

post your laptop and model # please

1080P 60 fps usually does not display very well on standard monitors either. The Litchi Filmschool has researched this and found this to be true. 1080P 30fps will work on most monitors and most computers.

lol @ ipad, its barely enough for the web, its not editing videos.

but your laptop on the other hand, well probably not 4k videos but don't sweat , where do you have a 4k display ?? its not tmainstream enough yet so you can get away with 1440 or 1080/60fps (my favorite for moving video)

post your laptop and model # please
Asus sonic master. Apparently it is only 4gig.
I am not creating productions for anything else but family fun/ memories. I'm sure i can use another computer in the future for any advanced production. But that's unlikely

Asus sonic master. Apparently it is only 4gig.
I am not creating productions for anything else but family fun/ memories. I'm sure i can use another computer in the future for any advanced production. But that's unlikely

Should be no problem as long as you use a lower end editing program. Something like Microsoft Movie Maker. There are others too. Just don't use high end editing software. You'll do fine, but a Phantom 3 Advanced is probably better for your needs. Good luck.

Should be no problem as long as you use a lower end editing program. Something like Microsoft Movie Maker. There are others too. Just don't use high end editing software. You'll do fine, but a Phantom 3 Advanced is probably better for your needs. Good luck.
How about the inbuilt editor in DJI go? Or is it just too basic

I'm planning on transferring the recorded files from the ipad that has been used as the monitor during flight. Or directly off the memory card. Onto my laptop with either windows movie maker or the dji go editing suite

I'm planning on transferring the recorded files from the ipad that has been used as the monitor during flight. Or directly off the memory card. Onto my laptop with either windows movie maker or the dji go editing suite

I've never used the DJI Editing site. You should try it and if it works for you, use it. If it has a steep learning curve, maybe try something different. It all depends on what you are comfortable using and if it works on your Asus and if it provides what you want for your expectations. Go for it and I wish you the best whatever way you go. Have fun!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4