Editing Tips for a Newbie

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am anxiously awaiting the delivery of my new Mavic Pro. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about it. Although I've been an RC enthusiast forever, I really have no experience with photography, but I am excited to learn.

Besides memory issues, are there other pros and cons between the video quality settings, ie 4k vs. 1080 etc? Is there a particular software program I will have to buy to edit and/ or touch up my videos and photos? Do it need, filters, LUTS, something else?

Totally green with all of this, so I appreciate any advice from this knowledgeable group.

Many thanks in advance!

Chris

Hi Chris, download the Gopro Studio if you dont have any video editing software, its free and will load your files, i dont use 4K as i dont have a 4K TV nor know anyone else with one, i use 1080P@50fps, 4K will need a lot of memory/CPU i think so you have that to think about, 1080P is easier to work with - depending what you want the video for, dont rush off buying anything else until you see what your videos are coming out like and your happy with them.

I'm with Cobs. I shoot all my video at 1080p @50fps because I don't want to spend so much time processing AND because none... not a single one of my clients can handle 4K. I even shot for The Travel Channel and they didn't want 4K. They specifically said "Do not shoot in 4K". Who am I to argue with the pros? LOL

I'm with Cobs. I shoot all my video at 1080p @50fps because I don't want to spend so much time processing AND because none... not a single one of my clients can handle 4K. I even shot for The Travel Channel and they didn't want 4K. They specifically said "Do not shoot in 4K". Who am I to argue with the pros? LOL

Wow, really? That's interesting, I wonder what their reasoning is. (Maybe they're waiting for new Mac Pros like the rest of us! :p)

For the OP, one possible advantage to shooting in 4K is that it gives you more room for cropping your footage, like for instance if you accidentally get the propellers in the shot, although that's looking pretty unlikely with the Mavic.

Well I shoot 4k 25 or 30 fps.
Work in a 4k timeline
And then output to 1920*1080 to get "better" pixels.
Also it leaves room in post production to reframe.

Thanks for the feedback gents. I should also mentioned that I use a PC. Would that change anything about your advice, or software recommendation?

What software are you using to edit now?
Well if you can afford it, Premiere is really the way to go. Is it only for fun or business?

I don't have any software at all. It's is purely for fun. I don't mind spending a bit (say around $100) to buy something that it is decent quality and user friendly for a hobbyist with no editing experience. But no point buying any high end software.

I shoot 1080 @24-30 fps. The higher fps are good for slow mo or sports..... 24 fps is what 95% of our movies are shot in and gets you really close to that "natural" motion blur.

As far as editing, kind of depends on what your going for. I have another thread started where I'm showing my iPad videos. In fact all my videos are edited on an iPad with the splice app ..... check it out because you can edited with your device and get a decent vid up. And remember the golden rule.... lol, Its not the quality, it's what's in front of the lense.
Editing Video with an IPad!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj