Editing DNG files with Windows Photos App

This prob won't be much help but here's what I do. First, I don't save my photos as dng. I see no reason for it. Years ago when they first announced it, the scare was that other formats would be phased out (like jpg) and everyone should immediately convert all their tifs, jpgs, etc. to dng so they didn't lose all their images. Recognizing that this was alarmist hooey, I refused. To this day, I save in jpg, tif, or RAW. With that being said, I simply have my Phantom (P3S) save images as jpgs. Any editing I need to do is done in Photoshop or if it's a pano, PTGui. While there are some benefits to dngs, I find them to be more cumbersome for what I'm shooting and just prefer jpgs. To sort of answer your question , I don't know if the Windows 10 Photo app will handle a dng codec/format or not. Download a sample dng from the net and give it a try. Just Google "sample dng files".

DNG is basically a raw format and it is better for editing just like RAW and so I would like to use DNG.I do not need to download a dng from the net as I have taken numerous pictures in that format. Also it is not Windows Photo app. The app is called Photos.

DNG is basically a raw format and it is better for editing just like RAW and so I would like to use DNG.I do not need to download a dng from the net as I have taken numerous pictures in that format. Also it is not Windows Photo app. The app is called Photos.
Got it. Since you said "Windows 10 photo app" I thought that was the name if it. Just trying to help. Also, it's not "codex", it's "codec" (short for "compression/decompression". )

Is there a way to use a DNG codex with the Windows 10 photos app?
I just realized that I fell prey to something that irritates the snot out of me when other people do it. I didn't read your question correctly! I thought you were asking if a DNG file WOULD work, hence my response of "download and try it". Now I see that you were asking if there was a way to MAKE it work. Sorry about that. Just ignore me. I'm reminded every day (usually by my wife) that I'm not as smart as I think I am.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20