edit: Phantom manual mode video now up! (with birds)

Reaction score
So after getting used to flying in atti mode and gaining quite a bit of confidence in my flying I decided to give manual mode a try and WOW!!! It's like waking up a monster! I started off by launching in gps mode like I usually do and flew it up high just in case things went bad and then flipped it into manual mode. I started off by flying up more and it shot off and to the side like an rocket so I tried to correct the angle only for it to fly the other way and downwards a little so I switched back to atti, after getting leveled out again I flipped it back and slowly tilted foward and released and it was flying fine until I tried to make a turn and once again it started to get a little crazy so back to atti mode. I then set up once more and decided to try the flip thing out and actually did a really nice front flip and centered myself perfectly so I tried a backflip and nailed it only it started going forwards afterwards so I lightly moved back to even it out and it just kept drifting along so I went back to atti mode. So that's it! My first attempt at manual mode and I didn't crash luckily, but I fully understand why people are afraid of it, it's definantly nothing to get cocky with and it will catch you off guard in a heartbeat! I did love how fast it took off though, hopefully with a lot of patience and practice I'll be able to master this wonderful flight mode. Not just to do tricks, but mostly just to unleash the beast that the phantom seems to hold back on in the other modes, it just looks like it could be so much fun once you figure it out.

edit: well, finally got the video uploaded, and I even have bonus bird footage from some birds that started to circle the phantom! hope you enjoy.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DvE0Qw6Cgg[/youtube]

Re: I finally got up the courage to fly in manual mode...

You're braver than many of us, Kitari...

Well done and congrats on a successful albeit it, nerve racking manual mode first flight!

I assume this was done with gimbal and camera taken off. But if you have video that would be some cool footage!

Damon said:
I assume this was done with gimbal and camera taken off. But if you have video that would be some cool footage!

yea I had the camera off on that flight, but I'll probably give it another go tomorrow and get video of it. It's the fc40 so no gimbal or anything so it should look even more terrifiying with all the shaking and snappy movements. :D

I might try that if I had 10 brand new unboxed backups ;-)

Well, I tried to make a video in manual mode today and I guess the memory was full so I didn't get anything recorded. So that sucks, I did pretty good this time too! Maybe ill get it right tomorrow. At least I'm getting some practice flights flights in! :p

I'm still afraid to try, in part because it's unclear to me exactly what "manual" means on my P2.

From the random comments out there, I gather that it's similar to my Syma X1 in how it has to be controlled.

GPS mode = manual mode for me. :lol:

witold said:
I'm still afraid to try, in part because it's unclear to me exactly what "manual" means on my P2.

For the lack of a better word.. it's like driving stick shift... with no brakes and power steering.

IMO. :lol:

rc_helicopter_gone_wrong-33209.gif

UrAwFuL said:

witold said:

For the lack of a better word.. it's like driving stick shift... with no brakes and power steering.

Oh I see your a professional tree trimmer !

UrAwFuL said:

witold said:

Now, THAT is funny!!

lmao!!

I think I'll leave the manual flying to my rc heli's that don't have GPS in it....

seen that vid before, so funny, so typical. BUT!! there have been phantoms with the assistance of GPS end up in the foliage too! i thing leaning to fly without GPS is an important skill/abillity cos when/if your GPS gets upset you will want to have half a chance of avoiding bin bags..

well guys, finally got a nice video of manual mode flying and even got some birds swarming around the phantom as well! It's uploading to youtube at the moment, so I should have it posted soon.

That was great. Especially the double flip!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie