Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

eclipse 20/03/15

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gingericeman, Mar 19, 2015.

1. gingericeman

There is an eclipse here in Ireland and I assume another few countries too tomorrow morning. I was planning on driving an hour to the most northerly point of the country where the eclipse will be 95% visible. My question is, if I put up a phantom top record the eclipse would the moon and subsequent eclipse just appear as a small bright dot on the video? Thanks

2. beazergood

I'd say the extreme contrast would just blow the detail out of the image completely. One way to find out I guess!

3. stan

No way with phantom camera or gopro to get usable photo of the eclipse itself

Also keep in mind that pointing the camera directly at the sun may damage the CCD/CMOS sensor of the camera. Same applys for human eyes - dont stear at the sun without good eye protection which does not include sunglasses of any kind /you may probably use welding mask/

4. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

You need a telephoto lens to see any detail.
    The moon is much too small in the sky with a standard lens and this becomes almost a pinprick with the fisheye on a Phantom.

5. N017RW

Leave the Phantom at home. ;)

Go to your observation place and enjoy the show, OMG! :shock:

Take in the moment. :cool:

6. jason

Exposed xray film will work as a filter for a DSLR camera and is even good to view the eclipse through. Heren are the RAW exposure settings I used for DSLR's f/11 exposure 1/120 ISO 100 at 300mm with x2 extender for a total 600mm. I should also mention that this photo is one of a time lapse sequence and shot on crop lens of 1.6 so the total magnification 960mm.

Attached Files:

7. gingericeman

Thanks guys , I'll just enjoy from the comfort of my back side planted on mother Earth.
    Raging I got rid of my 135-400mm sigma last year , would have come in very handy :-(

8. jason

Was unable to get the solar eclipse 2 years ago due to cloud cover but did manage the sunset.

9. gingericeman

Well it starts here in 22minutes and we have clouds over head, yesterday we didn't have a cloud in the sky, typical :-/

10. CallMeAlan

It's about over here in south central UK and getting lighter again. I'm taking a one shot per second time lapse of a general street view out of the kitchen window with my Lumix FZ1000, but although it got darkish, the street lights didn't even trigger on, so I'm not expecting a very interesting movie, even in luscious 4K. It was quite disappointing all in all. I think I'll complain.

11. Cyclone

I stuck my camera at the window and recorded outside. Playing the video back, at various parts it did get 'slightly' dark.

I wonder if I'll be around for the one in 2090 :?

12. 4wd

4wd

Here it was over 90% and we had clear spells so easily saw it with welding glass.
    It got really gloomy with a blueish light and cool gusty winds sprang up.