eclipse 20/03/15

Reaction score
There is an eclipse here in Ireland and I assume another few countries too tomorrow morning. I was planning on driving an hour to the most northerly point of the country where the eclipse will be 95% visible. My question is, if I put up a phantom top record the eclipse would the moon and subsequent eclipse just appear as a small bright dot on the video? Thanks

I'd say the extreme contrast would just blow the detail out of the image completely. One way to find out I guess!

No way with phantom camera or gopro to get usable photo of the eclipse itself

Also keep in mind that pointing the camera directly at the sun may damage the CCD/CMOS sensor of the camera. Same applys for human eyes - dont stear at the sun without good eye protection which does not include sunglasses of any kind /you may probably use welding mask/

You need a telephoto lens to see any detail.
The moon is much too small in the sky with a standard lens and this becomes almost a pinprick with the fisheye on a Phantom.

Leave the Phantom at home. ;)

Go to your observation place and enjoy the show, OMG! :shock:

Take in the moment. :cool:

Exposed xray film will work as a filter for a DSLR camera and is even good to view the eclipse through. Heren are the RAW exposure settings I used for DSLR's f/11 exposure 1/120 ISO 100 at 300mm with x2 extender for a total 600mm. I should also mention that this photo is one of a time lapse sequence and shot on crop lens of 1.6 so the total magnification 960mm.

Attachments

• IMG_5208.jpg
    IMG_5208.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 433
Thanks guys , I'll just enjoy from the comfort of my back side planted on mother Earth.
Raging I got rid of my 135-400mm sigma last year , would have come in very handy :-(

Was unable to get the solar eclipse 2 years ago due to cloud cover but did manage the sunset.

Well it starts here in 22minutes and we have clouds over head, yesterday we didn't have a cloud in the sky, typical :-/

It's about over here in south central UK and getting lighter again. I'm taking a one shot per second time lapse of a general street view out of the kitchen window with my Lumix FZ1000, but although it got darkish, the street lights didn't even trigger on, so I'm not expecting a very interesting movie, even in luscious 4K. It was quite disappointing all in all. I think I'll complain.

I stuck my camera at the window and recorded outside. Playing the video back, at various parts it did get 'slightly' dark.

I wonder if I'll be around for the one in 2090 :?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj