eBay "Cheap Props"

Reaction score
Mine just arrived. Is anyone using props from eBay -

Mate of mine said one of them simply flew off and if not for only being a couple of feet of the ground, that he would of lost his drone.

Hence to say, this is one purchase of eBay, I'd like to know if others have used and what you thought?

Guess I could try them just off the ground as well.

Re: eBay "Cheap Props"

I've never used them and won't ...to many horror stories to put my costly machine at risk for so little savings.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

I'll be sure to let you know how they go. I just need to get the locks they came without. We'll see. ;)

Why take a chance with those shitty props ? You have lot of money flying around. Stock props are pretty cheap.

I'm not wasting my time with the props that came without the locks installed.

We have found another option on fleabay. I can almost sense the bias on such a topic so wont bother with the eBay link.

Lets just say, I found an alternative that is compatible with my drone and comes with the self tightening locks installed.

I wont bother with the details until after I have flown with them a few times.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'll know soon enough if they are ineffective or effective. Just because the technology under the props cost a lot of money, does not justify the price tag currently set by DJI for the bits of plastic that make up the props. Seems people go through those props way to quick for the price as far as I'm concerned.

You can tell me "Told you so" if it all backfires on me, otherwise - I'll will know first hand if the elcheapo ones are as effective as what I believe to be overpriced plastic that needs regular changing as it is. I get by fine with cheap tires on my New Car - I see no difference in the attempt here to save a few bucks ... we'll see soon enough.

I would not risk a $1300 bird for cheap knockoff props. The OEM props are $7.50 each, delivered... there is not enough savings to begin to make it worth it. The props have an important job...

And if they do fail, it won't be during the few minutes of testing low to the ground... it will be at the worse possible moment, high altitude, during more aggressive flying.

Also, if you do use them be sure to balance them first or it will put a lot of extra wear on the motors and could cause stability/wobble problems.

If your wacking up that many props , you definetly doing something wrong. I'm still on my first set. I really think props are fairly cheap.
Not been ing biased just trying to help you. You do realize your not the first to ask this ? Many time people have tried this and I haven't heard anything good come out of it.
Im still on my first set , quit flying around smacking stuff or land easier. You keep screwing up props like that , they'll be the least of your problems

Now why would you cheap out on something that keeps it in the air? :lol:

Also, Flyt Path posted a video lately of propeller (thrust boosted, 2 and 3-leaf foldable) benchmarks that you guys might find interesting..

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-vhQDsnoKA[/youtube]

Davekyn said:
You can tell me "Told you so" if it all backfires on me, otherwise - I'll will know first hand if the elcheapo ones are as effective as what I believe to be overpriced plastic that needs regular changing as it is. I get by fine with cheap tires on my New Car - I see no difference in the attempt here to save a few bucks ... we'll see soon enough.

I have 100+ flights on the original props. They only require regular changing if you make a habit of bumping into things! ;)

Dirty Bird said:
Davekyn said:

I have 100+ flights on the original props. They only require regular changing if you make a habit of bumping into things! ;)

I know the feeling, ruined my first pair this weekend, have enough in stock.
I stand with the DJI stock props, i once bought them CF and thats just a waste of money.
Seen some testing video's off different props and DJI is the most effective one.
Yes they need balancing to and that takes some time, but its worth the time.

I'm glad to hear you say that. Just going by what a friend told me. Something to do with the actual plastic waring away.

Perhaps I am just a scrooge ... the kids call me grumpy gramps - pennies are a big deal for us and whilst that might make some wonder why I even bought such a device, if that be so true - I simply could not help going without such a useful tool. It gets my grumpiness going when I hear others call it a toy.

They are now selling the Phantom one (without camera) at our local electrical outlets - (Hervey Norman) - I know I see differently to you and others about drone registration ... what worries me about people flying them as toys, is the scope for mass crashes by those that do not take the time to learn - to plan - and so on. I can see how the may fall into recreational FUN - I get that ... I just think selling them off like toys is not the way to go.

sorry to go off topic -

Again - glad to hear the props last longer than I was led to believe. On that note - I try to keep regular calibration and note the gps - weather condition and so on - to compare if the waring down of props takes a toll on handling. Can't explain what I mean really - I think too much ...

I mean I'm the guy that crashed because I tried to discharge my battery with props on - LOL - I'll work it out in time...

Difference in opinions aside - thanks for your feedback. I've got up to 1.4km (Radius) with software - when I get some more pennies, I will check your posts out more thoroughly regarding antennas and the like.

Cheers.

When my wife is not looking - I'll order some DJI props then ... Sigh ... agreed - risky business - I'm more scared of my wife though. Hehe.

@ Davekyn

Tnx and YW.
That the main reason of a forum, to shear experience.
As i know that wife issue, been there done that and bought a t-shirt.
As some of my age fellas buy a motorcycle it isn't that bad for a mid life crisis guy to buy a P2V+ i guess.
As women say, we are and will stay boys right ?
Thats my view as i rather buy a quad copter to get my kicks ( will i ever see it again and in what condition ? ) instead of speed.
In all responsibility of course !

Check the props every 20 flights as you do the battery thing.
I've seen reports of cracks due to material fatigue.
I have done +100 flights with that pair i wrecked this weekend and they were still a 100%. The tips are reshaped now as i landed to close to a concrete block that was standing in its path. LMAO.
Well its a pity but now i have white props in front and black once on the back.

UrAwFuL said:
Now why would you cheap out on something that keeps it in the air? :lol:

Also, Flyt Path posted a video lately of propeller (thrust boosted, 2 and 3-leaf foldable) benchmarks that you guys might find interesting..

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-vhQDsnoKA[/youtube]
Someone tested these and said they were horrible to use.

Appreciate all the links and information.

I just wanted to give an update about the cheap props I bought with locks installed. They look identical however I can attest to the quality control. I can however give feedback from todays flight.

Normally when I put mine on for a flight , I simply give the props a hard flick and then another once they find resistance - I'm not sure if it's because they have never been put on before, but the cheap ones from ebay did not seem to find the grove (lock in) as effectively as the originals - BUT - they did catch on/grab/and or fit into position - I simply held the motor in place and pushed them a little more to tighten them.

I have to say I was impressed at how smooth the drone was moving - All the same I was quite nervous as this flight test was over water at high tide. At the end of the flight all I can say is that I got lucky with the set I bought. Cost my $20.00 Au/aprox $18.00US for a full set.

IMPORTANT - I will note that I now understand how my friends could of come off ... I think the main issue with the flebay ones is to make sure you double check and perhaps give a slight push (only slight) by holding the motor to ensure they have locked on. Might sound like a hassle ... BUT ... for the price, I'm happy to give a little nudge ... and to be honest, I think once they have been on a few time like so, that they will actually grab a lot easier.

I'm not saying there is no risk - totally agree that the quality control may be questionable ... just be sure to check manually after flicking the props on.

Early days yet, more flights to come.

If your not hard up with the $$$, then for sure go DJI, however if your game and don't mind having to double check ... I'm thus far happy to try another set.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31