eBay case takes Vision with props for 65 quid

Reaction score
The case I ordered on eBay at the end of last week has just been delivered and I'm 10x more enthusiastic about the case than I am about the Vision. How sad is that? To be fair to the Vision, I may have a duff camera and so may have to return it for a swap - more of that later.

Anyway, back to the case. For the money (or indeed double the money) this is a very, very good buy and I'm well chuffed with it. It's super-strong - I'm 74 kilos and I can sit on the top of it without it bending at all, it has four clasps - two at the front and one at each side, 'padlock' holes at each front corner, and what seem to be very sturdy, metal-pinned hinges.

The interior has three layers of foam in the base each about 5 cms thick. The top layer is 'pluck' and the second two layers are solid blocks - so are easily cut to shape with a Stanley knife. And it comes with a template.

Plus points then are:
Very solid. Front and side fasteners. Choose how you use the foam. Takes Phantom with props fitted. Exceptional value for money. Rapid delivery.

Minus point (maybe for some): Foam is not pre-cut

Here are some photos:

DSCF2020.jpg

DSCF2023.jpg

DSCF2025.jpg

In the last image, the Phantom is upside down to show the fit; I'll fit it properly tomorrow while it rains.

Here's the seller's view of the case with the Vision and bits fitted

phantom-vision-case-ebay.jpg

EDITED to give the eBay link, which is:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221355206978?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Looks great. The obvious question is can you post a link to the item on eBay please.

disjecta said:
Looks great. The obvious question is can you post a link to the item on eBay please.

Duh! Sorry, I've now edited the post to show the link at the bottom, after the last photo.

Looks like the bigger sized Duratool case than the one I've got (I spin my props off - I do a fair bit of walking with it, so didn't want too big a box) Someone's doing a nice job in stickering up the bigger size - and the template is a nice touch.

I'm really pleased with mine - it's got all my Vision stuff in it (even screwdrivers, charger and my all-important touchscreen gloves - brrr) so it's useful for at-home storage, as well as taking to flying sites. It also makes an excellent helipad to avoid taking off on dusty/wet/muddy ground - you can even tart it up with one of our very own Coloradosky's stickers: http://www.signsoflife.net/phantom-graphics.php

It's survived being in and out of the car loads of time, stood on, dropped and at once point dragged across the floor by the dog. I think mine was about £30 delivered for the smaller size from CPC in the UK, so they aren't taking the mick with their mark-up on that larger one, either. And you won't have to shoehorn your stuff in quite as tightly as I did!

I really want to find one like the eBay one shown here. Doesn't look like they ship to the States. Taking the props off and putting them back on each time is not what I want to do so I'm looking for an inexpensive case with cutouts that will allow the props to stay on.

I have the same case and didn't realize it when I plucked the foam, but one needs to remove EVERY layer of foam in the area beneath the P2V all the way down to the bottom. I left the bottom layer of foam and when I closed the lid, the plastic tilt pin on the camera body broke because of the downward pressure from the lid. I didn't realize until I made a few flights and saw that the camera was tilted at and angle (dangling really). I fixed it with some superglue. However, now I have removed the bottom layer of foam just beneath the Phantom.

When you order, you specify what colour logo you want. Frankly I didn't want any but that wasn't an option. Knowing my luck with price/instruction/warning labels, trying to remove it will involve using lighter fuel or acetone and will no doubt end in disaster so I'll probably leave it on.

The Phantom is about 17 cms high and the bottom part of the case is about 15 cms deep so, yes, you would certainly have to cut through all the layers of foam for the Phantom itself. However, because of my camera gear and related cases, I do have lots of spare pieces of foam, some of which are only a centimetre deep, so I have no worries on that score; I can mix and match until I get a suitable combination.

As to the cut outs, I'm not obsessive about getting beautifully matching fits; as long as everything is held relatively securely in place once the lid is closed, I don't care :)

I Purchased this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... OC:US:3160) for 140USD with free worldwide shipping as I'm in New Zealand it was the only real viable option for me; all of the US cases included at least $100 shipping.

They're out of stock now but if you're patient and $ conscious I'd say this is the case for you.

Fits everything with ease including charger, spare set of props, prop guards, 2 batteries, box of screws and tools, transmitter with the 11dbi antenna upgrade and of course the P2V itself (with props)

Attachments

• IMG_1515.JPG
    IMG_1515.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 690
Pull_Up said:
pault said:
I also thought it was the Duratool one but it seems to have catches on the side of the lid which I am not sure the Duratool one has.

My Duratool has side catches, and the identical rib patterns on the lid...
Do you happen to have the Duratool number please ? :)
I have been looking at this one

http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d00468/ ... dp/SG32901

but they seems to be permanently out of stock

pault said:
Pull_Up said:
pault said:
I also thought it was the Duratool one but it seems to have catches on the side of the lid which I am not sure the Duratool one has.

My Duratool has side catches, and the identical rib patterns on the lid...
Do you happen to have the Duratool number please ? :)
I have been looking at this one

http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d00468/ ... dp/SG32901

but they seems to be permanently out of stock

That's the one I've got. I think I got one of the last of their last batch before Xmas. They seem to get a big batch in every so often, then they all go quickly (mainly to Phantom owners, I suspect!). Sign up for the email and wait, I guess. :( Sorry, but at the price you can see why it's popular!

Pull_Up said:
Yours for £300...

;)
:) thanks but no thanks !
There was a guy selling them on ebay - I was debating whether to post the link in case some bu**ers bought the last ones but decided to post it anyway as I was going to order one tonight - went to get the link and he has just sold out :(

The Duratool D00468 is in stock here:
http://www.newark.com/duratool/d00468/t ... dp/58M5508

However, 2 people report getting the case without the foam (that apparently should be there).
Also, the technical spec sheet lists the internal hight at 145mm, apparently incorrectly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav