Early GoPro drone video

A little more competition for the main players in the industry can't be a bad thing.
As they say,competition drives inovation,so DJI and others will have to be more inovative to stay ahead of the competition,and as the end users WE WIN!! Yay.

At least it confirms the rumors that have been ciculating for nearly a yesr.
As a long time GoPro user I am keen to see what they come up with.It will have to be pretty special to match or better what is already available but GoPro do like to make a statement.

The video they released does look very smooth and stable.Their own gimbal/stabilisation system apparently.I would like to see some actual specs on the system,gimbal and quad.

The video they released does look very smooth and stable.Their own gimbal/stabilisation system apparently.I would like to see some actual specs on the system,gimbal and quad.

Yea, me too. Probably won't hear anything until early next year though. Curious to see what the bird will look like. Between the 3DSolo, Inspire and Phantoms, there's not much else you can really do to be different...

From Engadget:

GoPro shows off footage from its first camera drone

Not sure if DJI should be worried... What features would it have to be different/better than DJI?
I can't say how excited and how much I've been looking forward to news about GoPro's 2016 quad. DJI needs something to worry about. DJI has needed the competition on many levels for many reasons for some time now. That said...I can't say how disappointed I am with this albeit "less than wow" sneak peek.

The specifics and details will unfold soon enough BUT unfortunately enough was revealed in this teaser to leave me stunned and speechless....

1. "Shot 100% on the HERO4"...Really? Who cares!? So GoPro is releasing something that DJI released over 2 years ago with the Phantom 2/HD-3D set up? Another "GoPro camera carrier?" Who cares!?
2. Enter the dreaded fisheye. You've got to be joking. Did GoPro do any research with videographers, film makers, video enthusiast or even hobbyists?! NO ONE wants to look at any more fisheye aerials. e.g. There's nothing worse than seeing footage flying through a forest and watching trees bend in half as they reach the edges of the frame! DJI figured this out real quick, two years ago and even the Phantom 3's have a 94º rectilinear lens. Skateboarding/Skiing/Mountain Biking videos and Aerial videos are not the same animal. The lens on the P3 is THE reason many upgraded from the P2. Yes the P3 has many other bells and whistles BUT it's the camera's field of view people wanted.... no.... demanded.

Lets hope this video is a preemptive peek meant only to illustrate their gimbal's performance. Still, that should have been stated which is cause for concern in regard to what they are going decide is the "Final Product".

I'm so NOT stoked GoPro.

Last edited:
I have a feeling it's going to be much smaller than a phantom. Almost like racing size with stability. At least that's what I gathered from a couple of the foliage shots. It seemed like tight proximity that a phantom may not have handled as well. I'm sure the body will be durable as hell. If anything GoPro is known for their resilient build. I'm not a fan of GoPro and needed no convincing to sell my p2 the second the p3 came out, but I sure am looking forward to seeing them disrupt the market with a durable, smaller, more affordable quad.

I'm a huge fan of Gopro.

And while I buy DJI stuff, it keeps pissing me off. I go out to fly yesterday, only to notice that I can't frame any shots properly because the latest firmware is now causing MASSIVE DRIFT on my P3, making it useless. WTF. :mad:

But...

A flying camera needs ability to be controlled on the ground. Gopro 3 and 4 does not have this ability. If it did, the 100 Chinese companies that make quads and gimbals for Gopro would have figured it out. Fact of the matter is that taking a Gopro in the air is like mounting a Gopro on a kite. Once you're in the air, you can't do a **** thing to change settings and make adjustments.

If Gopro drone doesn't have ISO/shutter adjustment and things like a histogram, they will need to show something very new and innovative to keep people's attention.

I really hope that Gopro comes out with something NEW. Something that gives DJI a run for their money.

[QUOTE="kenjancef, post: 557531, member: 31073"]From Engadget:
GoPro shows off early prototypes of its first camera drone
[/QUOTE]
pigeon3.jpg

[QUOTE="kenjancef, post: 557531, member: 31073"]
Not sure if DJI should be worried... What features would it have to be different/better than DJI?[/QUOTE]
Competition is good and the reason P3 owners get so much for such a good price.
Yuneec, 3DR and Maxaero were all launching at the same time and DJI made it very hard for them by releasing a much better drone at a cheaper price than anyone anticipated.
Maxaero seem to have stalled and put theirs back in the cupboard rather than try to compete.

For GoPro to be taken seriously, they will need to come up something better than wifi for control and have full camera control.
DJI really set the bar high and no other manufacturer so far comes close to competing with them.
GoPro would have to be very ambitious to break into drones in just a year.

I think that any UAV company that makes a decent product, has creative advertising and has impressive customer support could take the crown from DJI. While the light bridge concept is better in many ways, that is their only advantage. And let's be honest, most consumers who buy a UAV cause it is the latest trend will not know the difference. Customer service is king and unfortunately DJI is severely lacking in that department right now.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20