E300 motor install

Reaction score
What you'll need:
1x E300 motor set (motors, props, new screws, heat shrinks, ECSs) or just 4x E300 motors (this install uses the original ECSs to keep the LEDs so 4 engine without the other bits will do)
12x female bullet connectors 3.5mm (buy more just in case, I got 16) or no bullet connectors if you want to solder directly, but cut off the connectors from the E300s (they are long enough)
- a fair amount of solder, each bullet needs about 3 inches of thin solder
- soldering iron
- I used my own pre-measured and cut heat shrink

Here's what we're upgrading to.
Note that one pair of motors has a pit marker at the very top - this is the clockwise pair. Replace the corresponding marked or unmarked old motor with the new one. Also connect the three wires in the same order as the old ones. The E300 wires aren't colored, so note where each wire leads left to right. You can look at the opposite motor to see how it is connected.

IoUr6ptl.jpg

Of course remove the battery before doing anything inside the bird.
I chose to use the third hand for holding the bullet. I set the Phantom on its side and bent the wire into the cup after removing some isolation. I also made a J-hook end on the wire.

X1JqPgSl.jpg

VKg5iBcl.jpg

What you'll want to do is hold the soldering iron to the outside of the cup and solder inside. It took a little bit for the bullet to heat up enough to melt the solder. I found that tapping the solder on the iron or flowing it over the edge from the iron helped speed it up a little. Wait a few seconds for the flux to flow off and you can quickly center the wire, then remove the iron to get a nice centered connection. This didn't always work, but they came out nice anyways.

F039OR5l.jpg

Then heatshrink each connector.

nSRZ0CHl.jpg

Done. It took some persuasion to get the wires and connectors settled. I didn't have any zipties to make a little ring, may come back to that.
Unfortunately I also didn't have liquid tape, so I took some regular electric tape and taped over the ECS solder joints, just in case.

ZyhMo31l.jpg

One of the finished sides.

Updg9Nhl.jpg

You should test the engines while the top cover is tipped to the side without propellers. After startup, you should get the same tones as usual. If you get different beeps, something's not right.
The bird in all its modded glory.

ojYklExl.jpg

I'll be glad to answer any questions about this mod ;)

Question: why didn't you just go with E300 ESCs? Sure you'ld lose the leds on arms but they're heavier duty than stock ESCs

The general consensus that I've read is that they're harder to fit and you lose LEDs. I've never heard that theres any benefit.
But I can always switch over, this is why I opted for the bullets.

Is there any reason for doing this?
I thought both motors,the stock Phantom and the E300 series were the same in terms of spec and power?

smallman28 said:
I thought both motors,the stock Phantom and the E300 series were the same in terms of spec and power?

A couple of reasons (at least in my observations) - the E300s are "supposedly" built to higher tolerances and are a more versatile alternative and fit more applications. I've used them on my Kong 450, a standard 450, a P1.5 and in my latest "Super Phantom" (450 size Phantom) and fit with little modification. You don't get the LED ESCs but you do get sealed 15amp ESCs with a more responsive algorithms - they seam quicker to respond to stick input. Plus I like using 4S batteries for longer flight times. They also have a different sounding and seem smoother than stock motors IMO. (pic of new Super Phantom equipped w/E300s)

Attachments

• photo-6.JPG
    photo-6.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 940
I have a F450 Flamewheel with the E300 system in it and it is indeed very smooth sounding compared to the Phantom.
My mate doesn't like the sound of his Phantom compared to my F450,the Phantom sounds high pitched and whiny in comparison :)
Are the E300 an easy fit into the Pahntom?
Not worried about loosing the ESC lights as I use a FPV set up that shows GPS lock etc.

smallman28 said:
I have a F450 Flamewheel with the E300 system in it and it is indeed very smooth sounding compared to the Phantom.
My mate doesn't like the sound of his Phantom compared to my F450,the Phantom sounds high pitched and whiny in comparison :)
Are the E300 an easy fit into the Pahntom?
Not worried about loosing the ESC lights as I use a FPV set up that shows GPS lock etc.

The ESCs are a little tight, I "dremeled" the mid arm stantions out and cleaned out some of the ribbing,but other than that and adding an external LED it was a simple install. I also used the NAZA V2 kit using puck GPS/compass and installed in lid so less wiring and it locks onto GPS much faster - less than a minute. DJI should implement the system into future Phantoms and it would make manufacturing simpler and more reliable.

EMCSQUAR said:
smallman28 said:

A couple of reasons (at least in my observations) - the E300s are "supposedly" built to higher tolerances and are a more versatile alternative and fit more applications. I've used them on my Kong 450, a standard 450, a P1.5 and in my latest "Super Phantom" (450 size Phantom) and fit with little modification. You don't get the LED ESCs but you do get sealed 15amp ESCs with a more responsive algorithms - they seam quicker to respond to stick input. Plus I like using 4S batteries for longer flight times. They also have a different sounding and seem smoother than stock motors IMO. (pic of new Super Phantom equipped w/E300s)
How do you like that larger shell? I have considered getting one of those. Does it weigh much more than the original shell? I wonder if it has enough volume to float if it were sealed up.

EMCSQUAR said:
smallman28 said:

What is this "super Phantom" you speak of? First I've heard of it.

DesertFlyer53 said:
EMCSQUAR said:
smallman28 said:

What is this "super Phantom" you speak of? First I've heard of it.
Probably this
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-phantom- ... combo.html

EMCSQUAR said:
The ESCs are a little tight, I "dremeled" the mid arm stantions out and cleaned out some of the ribbing,but other than that and adding an external LED it was a simple install. I also used the NAZA V2 kit using puck GPS/compass and installed in lid so less wiring and it locks onto GPS much faster - less than a minute. DJI should implement the system into future Phantoms and it would make manufacturing simpler and more reliable.

Wich external led did you add? Does it show you the Naza status/messages? Or is it a static/dinamic random color led for ubication on air?

Is this NAZA V2 Led Module compatible

with Phantom FC?

If so, are these plug and play? or require any mods?

Attachments

• NAZA-V2-LED-Module.jpg
    NAZA-V2-LED-Module.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 630
  • Mi Naza P2.jpg
    Mi Naza P2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 592
Out of interest I did this mod seeing as I had the motors "spare"
No obvious difference I could detect.
However I have removed the gimbal as my Gopro is faulty and going in for replacement or repair so I flew with just the bare quad which weighed slightly over 1kg.
Now the wind was strong and gusty and the Phantom was struggling but I still got nearly 25 mins of run time!
Okay there was less weight but given the amount of wind I would I have expected the two to almost even each other out.
Therefore it seems to me that the E300 motors are better than the stock ones.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik