e-mail I just sent to the FAA...

Reaction score
All of the recent reports of drone operators being contacted lately has been very disheartening to me, and I feel like they need to stop. If anyone agrees with my thoughts here I strongly urge you to contact the FAA, hopefully we can stop this FAA practice before someone gets hurt! I sent this to the Greensboro, NC office but will also be sending it to my local FAA office as well.

Good afternoon,

I am writing to you today with a growing concern about the way your office has been contacting drone operators. Based on a few online resources, in particular www.phantompilots.com, there are a few accounts of people being contacted by the FAA(particularly your office) with ways such as YouTube and Facebook.

Now obviously I'm not saying the FAA should not try to contact anyone in violation, but doing so with mediums that can easily be faked and manipulated could cause problems for both operators and the FAA. What happens when a scamartist starts passing out fines via facebook? Or a rapist/thief/murderer decides to have a 'one on one' with a young child.

I hope you are able to read this e-mail with an open mind and see where I am coming from on this one. I would very much like to hear your thoughts and possible changes you may make.

Thank you for your time,

Hey, it's 2016 already, get with the times.

There's no going back especially when they are getting results.

Hope you're not mistaken for a 'crank'.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I'd sell my drone, change my name, obtain two passports in that other name, and seek life elsewhere.

And I'd do it at the speed of light. Boy did you ever crap the bed.....

What are you trying to prove?

That they're making it way too easy for someone to fake being in a position of power... Seriously, as sad as it is to have to say, or even think there are internet predators. Heck I bet most of us would be hard pressed to not find a case of something horrible happening based on something that started online in our own towns, let alone state.

It's not exactly hard to track down people these days based on something as simple as forum posts, let alone facebook. A violent thief could see a rich guy with tons of toys, including a drone on his facebook page. Then he could easily fake a profile of someone that works with the FAA and tell them he is looking to arrange a private meeting when in reality he is going to rob him. And sadly, it's probably more likely a pedophile comes across a teenagers profile, and does the same thing but this time says he is willing to keep the broken laws to himself for now and not tell the kids parents but he needs to show him that he knows how to fly or whatever screwed up reason he gives to get the kid to meet him without telling anyone about it and since it's a person working with the FAA they would probably never think twice about anything other than how to get out of the trouble they were falsely lead to believe...

Reactions: dmagnus
Wow no wonder phantoms crack all the time, seems like no one around here has a backbone..... I've served my country and currently carry a badge, i'm not too worried about it !!

Reactions: dmagnus
I've served my country and currently carry a badge, i'm not too worried about it !!

If you say so.

I mean you can say or BE anything on an anonymous chat forum.

Last edited:
If you say so.

I mean you can say or BE anything on an amoymous chat forum.

But making up lies about why i'm not worried about real life personal troubles is gonna make me the coolest guy on the forum!!

Get over yourself.

But making up lies about why i'm not worried about real life personal troubles is gonna make me the coolest guy on the forum!!

Get over yourself.

You have set the FAA straight and clearly spelled out how you feel they should conduct themselves.

You've laid out your ideas on setting up anonymous social media accounts to distract gov't officials.

You've even told us about your 'Badge'.

You ARE the coolest guy here, real or anonymous.

Me... I'm a nobody.

All of the recent reports of drone operators being contacted lately has been very disheartening to me, and I feel like they need to stop. If anyone agrees with my thoughts here I strongly urge you to contact the FAA, hopefully we can stop this FAA practice before someone gets hurt! I sent this to the Greensboro, NC office but will also be sending it to my local FAA office as well.

Good afternoon,

I am writing to you today with a growing concern about the way your office has been contacting drone operators. Based on a few online resources, in particular www.phantompilots.com, there are a few accounts of people being contacted by the FAA(particularly your office) with ways such as YouTube and Facebook.

Now obviously I'm not saying the FAA should not try to contact anyone in violation, but doing so with mediums that can easily be faked and manipulated could cause problems for both operators and the FAA. What happens when a scamartist starts passing out fines via facebook? Or a rapist/thief/murderer decides to have a 'one on one' with a young child.

I hope you are able to read this e-mail with an open mind and see where I am coming from on this one. I would very much like to hear your thoughts and possible changes you may make.

Thank you for your time,
I imagine this will be posted at the FAA for the giggles it will induce.

Reactions: BigAl07
Anonymous user names always have the most impressive resumes and experiences to draw from, don't they?

This coming from the guy that was 'between critical patients' earlier.....

I'm quite positive I'll get them to take action on this whether you people think so or not. I called my local FAA office earlier and without missing a beat the person I spoke with said they would NEVER contact someone via the Internet and said they would most definetly pass that up the ranks as they very much so agreed it's a public safety issue.

I have never been on a forum full of so many idiotic people full of hot air, with guys like you on their side the drone operators surely doesn't need anymore enemies that's for **** sure. Putting down people looking to improve the way the FAA conducts themselves is just plain moronic. Forget you two guys, seriously... People like you will be the downfall to this forum and hobby.

Mods you can close/delete/whatever this thread, clearly no one is mature enough to see my POV.

Last edited:
Be legal. Follow protocol. Be registered. If you're a business file for a Section 333 Exemption. Do the right thing. You'll never have to worry about the FAA breathing fire in your direction.

You mad bro?

It's a discussion. I didn't think your letter was well written or necessary.
We know the FAA contacts via FB already in another case.
Chill out.

Mods you can close/delete/whatever this thread, clearly no one is mature enough to see my POV.

Taking your ball and going home?

Be legal. Follow protocol. Be registered. If you're a business file for a Section 333 Exemption. Do the right thing. You'll never have to worry about the FAA breathing fire in your direction.

The concern is not being contacted it's how. If you commit do a crime you should be held accountable or at the very minimum a warning with some education..

For a real world example..... If I am driving a UC unit at work I am not able to pull over a vehicle unless I have on a uniform along with a second form of visible identification. And even then there are suggestions for when, where and how exactly to do it. The reason for this is because people go to extreme lengths to impersonate an LEO and those laws and procedures help cut down on people being victimized and make it harder for those doing it to succeed.. Many states do indeed have laws governing how different agencies must ID themselves when dealing with the public.

Didn't the other post state the guy said he was from the FAA, his phone, emai, and name and wanted the member's addy so he could send educstional material?

Pretty clear. Or a call would validate.......

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl