dyeing props gone?

Looks awesome!!!! How did you get the stripes?

Thanks! I got the stripes by using electrical tape. It worked perfect on the yellow props, but the darker color bled though, I was going for white stripes on all four props. There's probably a better tape out there to use that doesn't allow bleeding through.

Thanks! I got the stripes by using electrical tape. It worked perfect on the yellow props, but the darker color bled though, I was going for white stripes on all four props. There's probably a better tape out there to use that doesn't allow bleeding through.

I'll bet that monkey tape, or gorilla tape whatever it is for painters would work. I really love the stripes I might try.

Walmart didn't have synthetic Rit so I used the regular liquid. Colors don't come out exactly right, but overall I'm pleased with the outcome. Left to right I used black, cherry red, and royal blue. Soaked each an hour. Used the whole bottle each time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Ley
Just did mine with Saphire Blue. Used half the bottle keeping the water at about 190 degrees for 35 minutes. I recommend dying BRAND NEW props. Mine are used and have scratches that I couldn't tell, so they are more pronounced when you dye them. Still, I like it. I have three other sets of props. I'm going to get a different color and try painters tape to get some stripes; I'll post pictures when done.

Attachments

• IMG_9496.JPG
    IMG_9496.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 338
Reactions: Sim597
Walmart didn't have synthetic Rit so I used the regular liquid. Colors don't come out exactly right, but overall I'm pleased with the outcome. Left to right I used black, cherry red, and royal blue. Soaked each an hour. Used the whole bottle each time.

Looks really green to me!

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yeah, couldn't get the black to turn black. Maybe I'll try getting the synthetic Rit and soak em again!

Well, I finally got my P4 finished, the props only took me 4 times to get the orange I wanted. Using apricot orange I tired entire bottle for 1hr they turned maroon, 1/3 a bottle for 20min and they were a weird orange with blotchy spots, 1/4 of a bottle for 2hrs they turned maroon again, finally I used 3/4 of a bottle pulled them out after 3min, and got the color I wanted. They may look a little red in this picture, but they match the orange splatter on the skin perfectly. For the body I used a decal wrap from mightyskinsdecals on ebay. Now the landing gear is a weird story...I originally used a blue sharpie, which looked better than I thought it would, coverage wise, but the color, unless looking at it directly under a bright light, looked like a dark purple. So I got a light blue paint pen, to match the light blue on the skin, and it covered the sharpie quite nicely and gave some texture to it. It was a little too much light blue for me, but I was ok with it, and I was tired of messing with it. I went to spray it with clear coat, but for some reason the clear coat mixed with the paint and made it start to bleed and cause blotches. Well, I REALLY liked the marbled look of the light blue and dark blue, so with a paper towel and some carefully aimed clear coat, I marbled the entire landing gear. I don't think the project is going to knock anybody's socks off, but overall, I am happy with it.

IMG_2024.JPG

How did you guys get the silver and black strips to stay on the props?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

63e8945b26f5e0d5e0e047ef449ed948.jpg

409bd091710e2dd1823ea1de2b12e624.jpg

Just finished dying mine. Thanks for the info guys. Came out better than I thought. I'm in the process of plasti dipping my case in white and blue to match.

Hot water method, per the manufacturer, is definitely the way to go. Did this on my lunch break today.
5ac9b516e3ec178f021c99cacac0a6f5.jpg
d63d871580c50e4e48366d06704fc049.jpg
055de7d6cec0d823f52fc0e4e404646d.jpg

With that black color, did or does it make the rings hard to see? The black and silver for CW or CCW?

Just did mine with Saphire Blue. Used half the bottle keeping the water at about 190 degrees for 35 minutes. I recommend dying BRAND NEW props. Mine are used and have scratches that I couldn't tell, so they are more pronounced when you dye them. Still, I like it. I have three other sets of props. I'm going to get a different color and try painters tape to get some stripes; I'll post pictures when done.
That's one good shared info there bro, I'm going to do this, and was gonna just use my props I been using, but now I will use one of the three sets I've got new.
I have 2 million ft flown on one set of props, I'll bet if dyed they'd show a lot of small marks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj