dyeing props gone?

If I felt confident that I could dye the body purple and have it look good I'd do it. Unfortunately if it looks terrible I'm not going to be buying a new shell. I think I'll wait until someone else does it. I do like the way it looks with the glossy finish though.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just dyed these yellow using the same process and dye...

IMG_0786.jpg

Reactions: Sim597 and nhoover
Can you still see the black prop rings versus the gray prop rings? In the picture, it looks like you can't.

If I felt confident that I could dye the body purple and have it look good I'd do it. Unfortunately if it looks terrible I'm not going to be buying a new shell. I think I'll wait until someone else does it. I do like the way it looks with the glossy finish though.

You could easily do the shell if 1) you could take everything apart to just the plastic shell and 2) had a container large enough to hold the shell (while it dye in almost boiling water).

Guys . I am sure you can steal your girlfriend's nail polish and from my previous experience with other drones it works just perfect a lot of colors to pick from and if you do not like the color you just remove it with acetone , just make sure to convince your girl that her nails inspired you to do that out of love !

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's incredibly easy. First, the dye costs about $4.99 a bottle. You put a pot on the stove at least as wide as the props. Heat up the water to between 180-211 degrees (212 is boiling, so just under boiling). Pour in the bottle of dye. Mix well. Drop in props. Stir every min or so for 20 mins. Place pot in stainless steel sink. Run cool water into pot until dye runs out and water is clear. Wipe off props a bit and let them dry. Thats. it.

Im looking for electric blue or green seems RIT doesn't make the synthetic in those colors :(

I know these props are pretty glossy, does the surface become any tackier or less slick afterwards? In the pics they have a shine but want to ask.

You let them sit in color for 48hrs?
Yup, a gallon of water and about 4 caps full of rit. I looked at them at 12 hours and they were splotchy and the color wasn't even. They had light and dark streaks. There are still a few faint color variations but less noticeable now.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31