Dyed props

Reaction score
I decided to try out dying my props today and I think they came out great. Since I have two sets I figure I'll keep the front props white and the rear props blue. I used navy blue liquid Rit dye:
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1448821774.176042.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1448821786.049062.jpg

Reactions: rodri2600
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

You can put tape on them and then peel it off later to reveal stripes. ;)

If you search here there are a ton of threads on this subject - Search Results for Query: dye props | DJI Phantom Forum
Some like myself have even dyed the shells & TX. It requires a different dye (polydye) but it can be done. :)

Reactions: NEair
Thanks for the welcome! I've been browsing around here after I got my phantom; lots and lots of great info here! I actually learned about dying the props from a thread on here. I'm debating between painting my bird or using a sticker kit. Painting sounds good but taking apart my bird is a little ominous to me right now. I'm thinking my phantom is going to be a little like my Harley, not kept stock for long lol!

I think many of us modify them in one way or another. I recommend the skin or sticker.
I just put one on my new P3. It was super simple to do & looks great.

IMG_1653A.jpg

Holy crap! That place is local to me. Rochester is ROC city.
Wish I had known as I prefer to support fellow local businesses.

I'll support them for ya... ;)

Was looking at a few to get, they have so many cool choices...

Thanks for the link! I've been looking at some on Amazon but I'm more interested in finding out if they will do one-off custom skins. I've got an idea for mine based on a p-51 mustang I've seen.

Ran across a pic of my dyed P2 tx. This was done with 'polydye' as regular dye will not work as the plastics are different.

IMG_0936.jpg

Reactions: Stoft63 and NEair
Ran across a pic of my dyed P2 tx. This was done with 'polydye' as regular dye will not work as the plastics are different.

Now THAT is blue... lol...

I have also heard that polydye stinks up the room, so be well ventilated, correct? Does it do any harm to the plastic, like if you let it sit too long?

Now THAT is blue... lol...

I have also heard that polydye stinks up the room, so be well ventilated, correct? Does it do any harm to the plastic, like if you let it sit too long?
Stink is putting it mildly. I tried the stuff for the firm time so I didn't know any better. I had used the regular stuff and it is fine but this stuff, whew! I was inside so I ended up opening all the windows and using a fan to remove the stench. It has a strong 'chemical' smell. I left it in till I got the color I liked, no problem with the plastics as it is designed for it. If you are in decent weather fire up your grill and use a pan you will never use to cook food in again... ever. That red Rave mount was dyed also.

Stink is putting it mildly. I tried the stuff for the firm time so I didn't know any better. I had used the regular stuff and it is fine but this stuff, whew! I was inside so I ended up opening all the windows and using a fan to remove the stench. It has a strong 'chemical' smell. I left it in till I got the color I liked, no problem with the plastics as it is designed for it. If you are in decent weather fire up your grill and use a pan you will never use to cook food in again... ever. That red Rave mount was dyed also.

I'm good, thanks... lol... I'll stick with white for now. Those decals do look good though.

Luckily I have access to 4 3D printers through my work, so if I ever need anything printed, I can do it here. I've printed a ton of stuff, including a Black Pearl mount.

Finished mine up last night. I was going for black but they came out a really dark navy. I picked up red to do the rears but after doing the front side I was afraid they would come out pink. Makes determining fore and aft a whole lot easier in air.

22ae9e3a8e4329da9c3b0fd6d80fc1b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mirrorimage
Finished mine up last night. I was going for black but they came out a really dark navy. I picked up red to do the rears but after doing the front side I was afraid they would come out pink. Makes determining fore and aft a whole lot easier in air.

It Looks good.
With red, I used rit cherry red, just make sure you have water hot enough. Put props in & leave them in until you get the desired color.

Nice job!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4