Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

DVR positioning

Discussion in 'FPV (First Person View)' started by Hughie, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Hughie

To anyone who is using a DVR with an FPV monitor (I am using a Lumenier DX600 with Black Pearl) and would be interested in the way you prefer to mount or carry the DVR.

I am considering velcroing it to the Black Pearl sun visor (although the DVR is not weight free!), or could also just put it in a pocket.

Suggestions welcome.
    Thanks

2. jason

I had my DX600 mounted on top of Black Pearl sun hood and I didn't like that. So I built holder for it and mounted with velcro to the side of my carbon fiber monitor frame. Total weight of DVR and case 122grams.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...114.1073741826.100003264013704&type=1&theater

3. knuckles

I Velcro attached mine to the bottom of my transmitter. When I put my transmitter on the table or whatever it sits on the dvr and not my camera lever.

4. jason

Which DVR are you using? We'er using the DX600 which has a LCD screen so the bottom of the controller is not an idle place to mount ours.

5. terrylowe

I put a small piece of plastic across the arms of my monitor mount.

I then mounted my DVR onto this with some velcro. Works well.

Attached Files:

6. dptcalvin

^^^ Very clever! May I ask where that plastic piece is from?

7. terrylowe

It is a plastic frame of a throw-away air conditioner vent filter. I just cut it to size.

I looked for an online photo of it, but couldn't find it. Here is a close photo.

Attached Files:

8. Hughie

Many thanks for your informative posts. Very useful.

9. knuckles

Sorry I missed that part mine is a cheapo China brand with no LCD. I'm actually thinking of replacing it. My only purpose is to have video in case I want to review one of my flights with iOSD data on screen. I'm not happy with the quality of mine as I always have a not clear picture with static or video breakup even though the normal view on my black pearl has no issue. Are you guys getting clean video on your DVR using the normal black pearl output?

10. terrylowe

Mine is a 2.7 inch Angel Eye that is going for about $70.00 on eBay.
    Works great off of my Boscam.

11. jason

I brought to record the flight telemetry which is a plus if I had an unfortunate flyaway that is of course that I were still a signal. Using the azimuth, distance, height and a good compass it could be possible to find it. I did post a video on youtube from takeoff to landing check it out for yourself.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjOZGMAfyG4

The cost was $114.00 from: http://www.getfpv.com/lumenier-dx600-dvr.html

12. Hughie

Has anyone managed to source a short cable to connect a Black Pearl (Diversity Out) to a Lumenier DX600 DVR AV in.

Each comes with the relevant patch cable to connnect to each other but I am left with a metre and a half of 3 way cable which I dont need. I could so with about 5cm.

Not only that the quality of the recording is noisy, not sure if this is being degraded after it has been received by the Black Pearl or not, so I wondered if the long cable is part of the problem here.

13. jason

You could spice the two lines together as long didn't want to use the DVR for another purposes. The front pin of the cable connector going into the monitor is the red audio and on the DVR it's power connector. Make both cables approximately 152mm each and solder. Here is how mine setup right now the extra wire velcro the other monitor bracket leg.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Whether all the extra cable is causing the video to breakup is had to tell but it doesn't seem to breakup the telemetry which is more important. Just finished eliminating 3' of that cable and it's not as easy as one might think.

14. Hughie

Interesting post, thanks.

15. Hughie

OK, so I managed to reduce the stock 4' 9" cable down to 9".

This is going to make things much easier - it seems to work well and there is no clutter now on the back of my R/C transmitter. I sourced two connectors and some cable from ebay and soldered them up using the pin out below from jason.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

16. jason

How about a closer more detailed photo of that modified cable for the DVR to the monitor. There are number of guys here using the DX600 DVR that might like to do the same thing.

17. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I use the same DVR and sometimes I velcro it to the back side of the monitor, sometimes I let it hang around my neck by the supplied lanyard. I used the supplied cable direct to the monitor with no modifications. I like the look of that short cable & I do like to solder stuff... hmmmm

18. Hughie

Ok, will do. Sorry about the quality of the pictures, the lighting in here is not ideal.

Parts I ordered (from UK):
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281037515457 2.5mm 4 Pole Right Angle Jack Plug (DVR end)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300541634210 3.5mm 4 Pole Right Angle Jack Plug (Black Pearl end)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280893099894 4 core cable.

I only needed two cores plus screen so 4 core was a little over the top and was a tight fit in the ribbed plastic cable protectors. I pulled two cores out of the section I used anyway.

If anyone is making this lead up, remember to follow jason's pinout earlier in the thread, but without the Power->Red Audio link.

Attached Files:

19. Ohary

Here's how my $35 DVR setup is mounted:

Attached Files:

20. jason

Now that is one clean cable. Seems the UK has cornered the market on those 4 pole connectors.