Dunnet Beach Caithness

Again, Dunnett beach has brought back some memories for me!

Do they still do sand yacht racing on the Castletown end of the beach as I recollect going up there in the 70's.

Another question Toorboy - completely off the dji themes - what type of stone walling do you associate with Caithness? I've got my own ideas & I'd appreciate your idea of hat is typical Caithness stone walling,

thanks Whitwellian i dont know about the yacht racing i never seen any this trip
& stone walling? someone did mention that the stones here are similar to the type
in north Irelands coast line but i really dont know whitwellian but there is ment to
be a few vitrified forts up ere as well is there no ment to be a mystery about the age
or how they were constructed am sorry i dont realy know o_O

Toor Boy, the reason I asked about stone walling is that they have a series of examples of dry stone walling at the "National Stone Centre" that's just down the road, near Matlock. The example shown for Caithness is layered stones, very much like many stone walls found up and down the country. However, my own recollection of the most prominent stone walls is the use of rectangular flagstones, set vertically on their short edge as in picture below. As far as I'm aware, Caithness is the only place that uses this technique. By the way, you've probably walked by the slabs in the attached picture as they're located by the path near to the caravan park on the clifftop between Thurso & Scrabster.

Attachments

• DSCF2022.JPG
    DSCF2022.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 246
Toor Boy, the reason I asked about stone walling is that they have a series of examples of dry stone walling at the "National Stone Centre" that's just down the road, near Matlock. The example shown for Caithness is layered stones, very much like many stone walls found up and down the country. However, my own recollection of the most prominent stone walls is the use of rectangular flagstones, set vertically on their short edge as in picture below. As far as I'm aware, Caithness is the only place that uses this technique. By the way, you've probably walked by the slabs in the attached picture as they're located by the path near to the caravan park on the clifftop between Thurso & Scrabster.
yeh I have seen these stone walls they are everywhere in the old parts of thurso
whitwellian these stones are even used as garden walls around the gardens of peoples
houses as well :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20