Dumping Proppeler Part 2

Reaction score
Hey All

2-weeks ago, when my P3A,was brand new, after two flights, i noticed that one of the grey props wasnt selftightening til the end. It wasnt going to the fullest. was stopping.
So i looked inside, and saw it was damaged from inside a bit, so i decided not to risk and throw it away.

Today, when i was attaching props, AGAIN the grey prop had the same issue. Looked inside of it, same kindof "damage". But this one rotates perfectly on one of the motors, but on the second one it gets stuck.

So i will dump this one also.
Can this be because of overtightening?

2p.jpg1p.jpg

Do not overtighten props.
The threads are nylon and you can strip them.
They only need to be on finger tight.
So no wrench. I just grab the motor with two fingers of the left hand, and tighten the prop with my right hand. Is that correct?

You say it fits properly on one motor, but not on the other. Have you checked the threads on the "bad" motor to make sure there's no damage?

You say it fits properly on one motor, but not on the other. Have you checked the threads on the "bad" motor to make sure there's no damage?
Eye checked that motors axis, where the prop sits. Doesnt look like any damage. Do u have links to any topics like that?

Prop should spin freely all the way to stops. If not replace. You say they are new props with the P3. I would contact support and see if they won't replace them. Check the top of props and see if they have a DJI lettering on them. I've heard of some 3rd party aftermarket props having the issue but not the Actual DJI props.

Prop should spin freely all the way to stops. If not replace. You say they are new props with the P3. I would contact support and see if they won't replace them. Check the top of props and see if they have a DJI lettering on them. I've heard of some 3rd party aftermarket props having the issue but not the Actual DJI props.
They are from DJI. It came in original packaging. Probably its me maybe overtightening them? I used wrench couple of times.
But the FACT that both times grey one, gets me a bit suspicius.

They are from DJI. It came in original packaging. Probably its me maybe overtightening them? I used wrench couple of times.
If you've been using the wrench, you've probably been overtightening the props.
The wrench is for removing a stuck prop - not for putting them on.
i-78Vd8CC-L.jpg

If you've been using the wrench, you've probably been overtightening the props.
The wrench is for removing a stuck prop - not for putting them on.
i-78Vd8CC-L.jpg
I just grab the motor with two fingers of the left hand, and tighten the prop with my right hand. Is that correct?

I just grab the motor with two fingers of the left hand, and tighten the prop with my right hand. Is that correct?
That's what I do too.

Reactions: t2adze
Im just wondering if you were to carefully install and tighten props and then apply a register mark with a sharpie you could then use that as a reference and get some idea when replacement was required due to thread wear. As the nylon in the thread area was subject to any distortion or wear over time the marks should move out of alignment. I think I will try it- I was just been replacing every 30 flight sessions (I remove and reinstall every outing).

Are you calling the black topped prop grey? Just want to be sure were all on the same page. I would hand tighten them and see if the problem continues. Use only DJI props, never aftermarket. Don't put them on loose either or you run the risk of "throwing" it. I use the "tight enough" method where when you think it is tight, it is "tight enough". :) I also turned my brake down to 70. I don't care for that braking action (a lot different than the P2's) and P3 has been known to toss props when 'braking'.

Spin the props on until they stop by themselves. Grab the motor with index finger and thumb, then 'snug' the prop - maybe a mm or so. Should be fine then.

Im just wondering if you were to carefully install and tighten props and then apply a register mark with a sharpie you could then use that as a reference and get some idea when replacement was required due to thread wear. As the nylon in the thread area was subject to any distortion or wear over time the marks should move out of alignment. I think I will try it- I was just been replacing every 30 flight sessions (I remove and reinstall every outing).
Since the difference between tight and not tight or too tight is going to be on the order of 1 or 2 mm, it would not be very useful to make a hash mark. Just learn it by feel. Spin tight and then snug with two fingers. My 45 kg wife can do it although she will sometimes use the wrench to get them off.

The nylon hub on props don´t spin freely all the way down to tight. I need to tighten them quarter to half turns or something to get them sit perfectly. Some spin more than others, but they all sit pretty tight and nice when I give it a touch. They also come off without problem too.

It´s the same with regular nylon props and carbon reinforced ones from DJI (I only use DJi´s). On the other hand, my metal hub props spin smoothly all the way down, and out too. I just check for tightness before taking off. They also come out ok, but you can feel they spin differently to the motor threads.

Never had a problem with either, plastic and metal hub, from installation. Even when I touched a wall the other day upon landing and the props got overtighned from the impact - to the point I had to use the tool to get them off - the hubs were still fine and spinning in and out like before.

I wonder if you somehow got non-oem props my accident. My plastic props all have spun freely to the point where tightening is required. I have never had to turn anything close to even a quarter turn to snug them down. I have heard that some knock offs behave the way your describing. And I have also read that the packaging looks like DJI packaging. Did you perhaps buy some on ebay or Amazon? I only buy direct from DJI. Too many fakes out there.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4