Dumb question...maybe

Reaction score
Question folks, if you hold the left stick all the way down for a few seconds while flying, will it kill the motors in mid-air?

I was up around 150 ft today when my PV dropped like a rock ...broke a few props, one prop guard...and knocked the camera from its mount. Once reassembled, it seemed fine, camera works...motors ran....didn't take it up but seems fine so far.

So I'm wondering did I have full down on my left stick? Not sure. I was also 200 ft from a electrical sub station, which could possibly interfered with my connection?...but even that shouldn't cause it to drop out the sky, right?

I haven't done the 12/20 firmware update yet...not sure that matters on this subject.... But will be doing that soon.

Thoughts?

There is a setting called "intelligent" something that will stop you from killing the motors by pulling down on that stick...not at my house to get you the correct settings but you should be able to look up.

Sledge said:
Question folks, if you hold the left stick all the way down for a few seconds while flying, will it kill the motors in mid-air?

I was up around 150 ft today when my PV dropped like a rock ...broke a few props, one prop guard...and knocked the camera from its mount. Once reassembled, it seemed fine, camera works...motors ran....didn't take it up but seems fine so far.

So I'm wondering did I have full down on my left stick? Not sure. I was also 200 ft from a electrical sub station, which could possibly interfered with my connection?...but even that shouldn't cause it to drop out the sky, right?

I haven't done the 12/20 firmware update yet...not sure that matters on this subject.... But will be doing that soon.

Thoughts?

Imagine it's the same for regular Phantom/Naza Assistant, it should by default be in Intelligent Mode so that the motors will never stop in mid-air.
..unless you changed it to Immediate Mode (not a good idea!)

I'd say you def would want to update the firmware, heard there's been a number of Visions that have dropped from the sky

Gizmo3000 said:
Imagine it's the same for regular Phantom/Naza Assistant, it should by default be in Intelligent Mode so that the motors will never stop in mid-air.
..unless you changed it to Immediate Mode (not a good idea!)

I'd say you def would want to update the firmware, heard there's been a number of Visions that have dropped from the sky

Some of those visions that "dropped from the sky" were do mainly to user error more so than a problem with the Phantom.

Sledge said:

Thoughts?

The only way to shut the motors off mid flight while you're in the air is holding both sticks straight down to either the left or right corners. Holding the throttle stick down for 4 seconds on the other hand only shuts the motor off if the Phantom detects it's already on the ground.

kenskid said:
There is a setting called "intelligent" something that will stop you from killing the motors by pulling down on that stick...not at my house to get you the correct settings but you should be able to look up.

Sledge said:

Thoughts?

no... apparently this mode is NOT an option with the Phantom Vision... even in NAZA mode. It should only shut off motors if you initiate CSC.

Yep, don't get confused with the Vision's NAZA mode - even DJI describes it as "NAZA-like". The full NAZA manual will mention a load of options you won't get with Vision NAZA mode.

As to the question, I'm not sure and don't want to test! When I hand catch the Vision I cut the props by holding the throttle fully down and they always cut - and I don't always hold it rock steady. Having said that I don't move it enough for the barometer to measure a rise in pressure, probably. You would hope it uses the same algorithm as it does when it auto-lands, which appears to be a combination of no pressure change and no or very limited gyro movement to determine it's hit the ground. But again, I don't want to test it in the air as a quad with no rotors running has about the same glide ability as a cinder block...

Pull_Up said:
Yep, don't get confused with the Vision's NAZA mode - even DJI describes it as "NAZA-like". The full NAZA manual will mention a load of options you won't get with Vision NAZA mode.

As to the question, I'm not sure and don't want to test! When I hand catch the Vision I cut the props by holding the throttle fully down and they always cut - and I don't always hold it rock steady. Having said that I don't move it enough for the barometer to measure a rise in pressure, probably. You would hope it uses the same algorithm as it does when it auto-lands, which appears to be a combination of no pressure change and no or very limited gyro movement to determine it's hit the ground. But again, I don't want to test it in the air as a quad with no rotors running has about the same glide ability as a cinder block...

Here's a dumb, unrelated question for you. How many Pull ups can you do, Pull_Up? Sorry, couldn't resist. Whenever I see your name I feel like dropping and doing 50 :p oops that's push ups. Well.. that's another thing I think of too. Pull ups.. then push ups.. then before I know it I'm thinking of boobs! Talk about tangents. Sorry bout that, but it's all your fault Pull_Up for having a name with so many possible meanings :p oh and speaking multiple meanings, push ups, and boobs *Beavis and Butt head voice* "heh heh, he said "boobs"... Are there any lady Phantom pilots on here or is the Phantom / quad craze more a guy thing?

I couldn't do one athletic pull up if I tried. It's more the general cry we should be making if we see our aircraft heading groundwards at a rate of knots.... "Pull up!!!!" ;)

(Of course it doesn't really work for quads, that should really by "Push Up" on the throttle, but I don't want to get you over excited again...)

Pull_Up said:
I couldn't do one athletic pull up if I tried. It's more the general cry we should be making if we see our aircraft heading groundwards at a rate of knots.... "Pull up!!!!" ;)

(Of course it doesn't really work for quads, that should really by "Push Up" on the throttle, but I don't want to get you over excited again...)

Lol, thanks for the reply.. too late though, I'm already getting excited.. :p Hmm.. with what you said in mind. Maybe your name should have been Pull_Up-Push_up :) Hmm never mind :p Or how bout this. Push_Uuuuuup! Yeah that could work. as you're struggling to push up on the left stick to gain altitude after an exuberant descent :p

Hey I've got a great idea for a youtube video. The Phantom Pull up bra... Video a girl.. in her bra with a couple of strings attached to the leg of a Phantom hovering above her pulling the bra up. Then show the before and after... Pulled up.. not pulled up.. And the catch phrase can be .. Gravity getting you down ladies? With the Phantom Anti-Grav pull up bra gravity is not a worry! Increase your cup size with the push of a stick! *Geeky Phantom Pilot sold separately on contract* Order yours today!

Whatcha think? :)

P.S. If anyone makes a video like this before me you gotta cut me in on the profits for coming up with the idea :p

P.P.S. I'm thinking in my head now how to actually make this work. The video would probably go viral in no time. ugh. Hmmm okay I may need to find a cute girl and get an extra Phantom to do this with..

BDP,I think you need to find any girl willing and do something wholley different to making video with her. :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers