Dumb Newbie Questions on App & FW Upgrades

Reaction score
I'm brand new to the sport. Actually have 0 RC flight hours (650 hours as instrument rated SEL pilot), though my P3A should arrive in next few days. In preparation for that I've been Searching this Forum, reading manuals, possibly relevant threads & watching endless Utube videos. But let me apologize in advance if I missed the info I need!
I bought my P3A from a guy on eBay who was selling as he had no time to fly it; he put on less than 5 hours since he bought it in 2016. So I'm assuming he wouldn't have bothered to do the latest FW update.
I need to download the Pilot App to the ipad Air 2 I bought to use exclusively for flying. I'm pretty freaked out by what I'm reading about problems with the latest version of the Pilot App, and the lousy maps. I'd like to try downloading an earlier version of Pilot (I found that video) but I can't find any instructions on how to move the SW from my desktop to my ipad Air. Can anyone help me out there?
If I'm stuck downloading the updated version of Pilot directly to my ipad, will I then need to update the presumably older FW to get the bird flying? Or in other words, is there a relationship between SW and FW versions that must be maintained?
Thanks in advance for your help!

First of all you should know that it's used P3A and thus you should test it without making any changes. If all goes ok then plan for updates if needed.

Your first check should be to figure out if the batteries are ok. If the batteries were not maintained well they get useless and are risk to flying.

Obviously you should calibrate IMU , sticks and compass before attempting to fly.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Not dumb questions. Everyone had to make their first flight. Think back to your student pilot days, take small steps, master those then move on the more complex steps. I think my first 10 I never got above 30 feet AGL and kept it within 100 feet of me. If you can shoot an ILS under the hood, you can manage the Phantom.

Welcome Cardinal Flyer.[emoji3]. All good points above that need to be considered. Just like a preflight inspection on an aircraft, your Phantom will need a preflight as well, especially it being used. Take your time and be thorough. And if you find something you're not sure of.....ASK! That's what we're here for. Blue Skies and Calm Winds sir. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

If I'm stuck downloading the updated version of Pilot directly to my ipad, will I then need to update the presumably older FW to get the bird flying?
It would be best to install the current version of DJI GO. You do not need to install the latest firmware if you'd rather use the firmware that comes with your Phantom. If you decide to install it, you can find detailed firmware installation instructions here.

First of all you should know that it's used P3A and thus you should test it without making any changes. If all goes ok then plan for updates if needed.

Your first check should be to figure out if the batteries are ok. If the batteries were not maintained well they get useless and are risk to flying.

Obviously you should calibrate IMU , sticks and compass before attempting to fly.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Thanks!
I get all that. But I need to get something on my ipad to test

It would be best to install the current version of DJI GO. You do not need to install the latest firmware if you'd rather use the firmware that comes with your Phantom. If you decide to install it, you can find detailed firmware installation instructions here.
Thank you!
That's what I needed to know--I guess I can always go "back" to the older SW/better maps whenever I figure out how to move stuff from my PC to the ipad

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen